NSV: Wedding ring is almost falling off

Options
...which is awesome! And bad. Because I don't want to lose my ring. I'm glad it's no longer tight like it was getting. It's winter and I know that makes it a bit more loose, but prior to the cold weather, it was loose. How long should I wait to get it resized? I'm only almost 25% to my goal... so I have a long way to go.

Any ideas on what to do? Since I don't want to fling it off accidentally, but also don't want to resize it a lot because that could get expensive and is a bit of a hassle.

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Could you wear it on a necklace until you're closer to your goal? Then you can get it resized when you've lost a bit more.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine anymore because it fell off while getting changed one day and it took forever to find (and lots of tears). I'm at maintanence but afraid to get it resized. I'm with you with the hassle thing and expense.I think my husband will just take it one day and get it done (I think he's afraid I'll regain if we don't).

but someone gave me a suggestion the other day to buy a ring that fits (even a cheapie ring that looks good) and put it in front of my wedding ring so it doesn't slide off. I think I'll try to find one.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are spacers that you can get that will secure your ring on your finger! Check Amazon or Walmart.
  • Kelin
    Kelin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We weigh the same now and I love lost about 23 pounds myself (haven't updated my weight yet). My wedding ring is getting really loose too! It's amazing that we loose weight from our fingers. I think in another week or 2 my ring will be falling off. Good and bad! Great job on your loss so far!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have a silver ring with cushion cut green amethyst...love it...but it was under $50 on etsy. I'll probably get a new ring. Although even at my highest weight of 300+ I wore a size 5.5 ring. Size 4's aren't too easy to come by. :-/
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Same here. I must get around to buying one of those spacers before I lose it.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    wrap a piece of string around the underside of the ring
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Different fingers are different sizes. If you are right handed, the same finger on that hand will be bigger, being more muscular. Switch first to right ring finger, then left middle finger, then right middle finger, I'm currently wearing my engagement ring on my right middle finger. Will re-size when I reach goal weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what to do? Since I don't want to fling it off accidentally, but also don't want to resize it a lot because that could get expensive and is a bit of a hassle.

Just get a divorce. While this too is expensive and a bit of a hassle it would keep you from needing to worry about the ring falling off and wouldn't need to get it resized.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Feels good doesn't it!! Congratulations!

I wrapped a bandaid around it to keep it snug temporarily. I need to get one of those "ring guards" for the time being. I don't want to get it officially resized until i've lost some more.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I lost mine when it fell off; recommend waiting until you hit goal weight to buy a new one, my replacement is pretty loose fitting.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Same here. I create temporary spacers using narrow first aid tape that I change every week or so. I'll just get a spacer once I reach my goal. Mine is made of tungsten, and every jeweler's store I've asked says that they're impossible to resize.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had my rings sized when I had lost my first 30 lbs. Now that I've lost about 25 lbs more they are close to falling off again. Ring guards didn't last long before the broke on my rings. I sometimes wear them on my right hand.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would not get it re-sized until you are done loosing weight. The process of resizing them adds strain on the metal so you don't want to do it often, but once you are at maintenance you should go ahead and get it done! Until then, Take some tape and wrap it around the underside of the ring, this will make it fit more snug until you are ready to re-size. Also/Or as other people suggested you can buy a second ring to use as a 'buffer' that is snug to keep the wedding ring on, just make sure your wedding ring doesn't get so loose it slides over the next one!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I lost mine. I'm fairly certain that means I'm available again?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Just get a divorce. While this too is expensive and a bit of a hassle it would keep you from needing to worry about the ring falling off and wouldn't need to get it resized.

LOLOLOLOL
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My friend is in the same boat as you, she uses mini hair ties and just loops them around the bottom of her ring, they hold it on and dont do any damage to the ring or your skin!
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same here. I create temporary spacers using narrow first aid tape that I change every week or so. I'll just get a spacer once I reach my goal. Mine is made of tungsten, and every jeweler's store I've asked says that they're impossible to resize.

Yea, I'm in the exact same boat >.< Although I didn't care how much my ring cost, so this one is super cheap to replace fortunately. I think the big cost should be for the wife's ring, but my own, I could care less lol... I'll just get a new one, and maybe have this one stay in a safe place for the sentimental value added to it, or maybe get a necklace so it can just hang from my neck instead..
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've tried various things, and the only thing that works for me (doesn't make me nuts) on a day to day basis is wearing my wedding ring on my middle finger. It took a few days to get used to it, though.

I'm getting to the point that I don't think my finger will get much smaller, so I've looked into resizing. Just so you'll know, I found out that some jewelers (those who craft their own jewelry) can actually heat your ring up and re-shape it instead of cutting it and taking out some of the metal. Well, this will work on a gold band, anyway... I don't know if it would work if there were stones on the ring... probably not.

I am leaning toward having the ring heated so that it doesn't change the weight of the ring.

For a while I wore a cheap replacement ring, but I just didn't like it... it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my old ring. I also considered wearing it on a chain for a while. But I settled on my middle finger for the time being.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem but I didn't realize it until I suddenly realized by rings were gone! Thankfully I found them again. I've lost 50 pounds but I'm only halfway to my goal. I did like another poster did--wrapped a bandaid around them. I don't want to get them re-sized until I've lost what I need to.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!