Anyone else have hypothyroidism?

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during the summer. When my doctor first put me on medication, I dropped a few pounds fairly easily. Guess what? Now it's not easy at all. In fact, I've gained a couple even though I'm working out.

Has anyone else with hypothyroidism had success in losing weight? I'm guessing someone out there has! If you did, what changes did you make in your diet (such as less carbs, sugar, etc.) What about exercise?

I added several workouts last week and it looks like I've gained instead of lost. As you can imagine, I'm frustrated! Only want to lose another 8 pounds but it is so hard! :ohwell:

Replies

• Weathergirl
    Options
    I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in April 2007, in June 2007 my thyroid & parathyroids were removed & I am now 2 yrs cancer free! Thank God :) I am now on replacement meds (levothyroxine) & had the same issue - lots a lot of weight at first (about 20lbs) but now I'm stuck & cannot seem to get past this plateau; thats why I joined this site - thought if I was accountable for my food intake & exercise routine I could see a 'bigger picture' & if there was something that looked wrong with what I'm doing.

Feel free to contact me & maybe together we can make this work. Good luck.
  • courtneylyn1
    courtneylyn1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease(a thyroid disease) and MFP is the only way that I have had success when it comes to losing weight. I am 22 and was diagnosed when I was 18, so I have been trying for years all kinds of different diets. Good luck!
  • blessedbirdie
    Options
    Yes, I have had hypothyroidism for 30 years. I have in the past lost weight but let emotions and depression get in the way and I gained it all back. I have recently lost 40 lbs. on a protein diet. I have tried many ways to lose and this has been the best. My dr. does regular blood work and I am on supplements also. I was defiencent in Vit D plus others.
    I take Cytomel for my thyroid. Was on Synthroid for over 20 yrs and started feeling bad so went on Armour but the FDA since took it off the market. I was told by one dr I would always have a weight problem since my thyroid is not working right. I started this at 317 lbs and now weigh 40 less. You can make me a friend here and see my diary if you like.
    You can do it. Just get a good dr. too since you need to keep your thyroid meds well regulated for you and not just a number on a lab report.
    God bless,
    birdie
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism. I am on 125micrograms a day of Levothyroxin. I have been working with a trainer and using MFP....but the magic started happening when my trainer told me that MFP had me on too LOW of a daily caloric intake :) I wasn't meeting my BMR. As soon as I upped my cals on MFP (and I work out 5 days a week and eat back my ex cals). I started dropping weight and inches big time!

love my trainer, love MFP....and now that I have a balance between the 2 of them I am on my way to skinny :)
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's disease. My meds have regulated my TSH

For me its not the disease that makes my weight loss difficult, its the fact I love food and hate working out.

My motivator this time is the fact that my horse show clothes are either getting snug or they don't fit and they're too expensive to replace LOL
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i'm hypothyroid as well :) only 21.. put on about 30lbs in the last 6 months and went into sever depression... doctor blamed it on birth control and me having an eating disorder when I was younger...

i'm currently on 50mg of levothyroxine and 10mg of liothyronine sodium.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for years & years and am currently on levoxyl. While it is perhaps a slower weightloss, I am steadily losing weight just by keeping within my mfp calorie allowance and doing cardio everyday (well, I've missed a few days, but basically every day!).

Eating right and exercise should do the trick! Again, the weight may be slower to come off but it WILL come off in time!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the input and encouragement! You all are the best!
    I have to admit, I was feeling discouraged and wondered if I would be stuck at this weight forever. I'm going to try to bump up my calories and eat all my exercise calories to see if it helps.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas!
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have hypothroidism too. I have gained weight every year for several years. Being on here is helping me lose weight. Granted its only a pound since 10-9 but its something. At least I am not gaining. You want to make sure your meds are the right dosage based on your symptoms and not just your lab results. This will help a lot. I am still trying to find a doctor that will look at my symptoms and not just a number.

Feel free to friend me.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I can't really offer any other advice than what people have already shared. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since I was 10 or 12. It's difficult to loose weight but doable.
  • sbusarah
    Options
    Yes, I have had hypothyroidism for 30 years. I have in the past lost weight but let emotions and depression get in the way and I gained it all back. I have recently lost 40 lbs. on a protein diet. I have tried many ways to lose and this has been the best. My dr. does regular blood work and I am on supplements also. I was defiencent in Vit D plus others.
    I take Cytomel for my thyroid. Was on Synthroid for over 20 yrs and started feeling bad so went on Armour but the FDA since took it off the market. I was told by one dr I would always have a weight problem since my thyroid is not working right. I started this at 317 lbs and now weigh 40 less. You can make me a friend here and see my diary if you like.
    You can do it. Just get a good dr. too since you need to keep your thyroid meds well regulated for you and not just a number on a lab report.
    God bless,
    birdie

My cousin still takes armour and I couldn't find anything about it being taken off the market. Could you provide a link to this info?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I too have hupothyroidism, along with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue,due to meds thyroid and just giving up and comfort eating I have gained over 100 lbs in the last 8yrs. I have tried many diets in the last several yrs, but nothing seemed to work. With getting my meds regulated , following 1200 cals a day and working out about 30-45 mins 6days a week I have lost 30 lbs in a little over 3 months Hang in there, this does work......
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack the thread.....I have lost 22 lbs and have been stuck for 2 months. In the past every time I get the usual blood test for thyroid, I am borderline or normal. But I was seeing an holistic person and based on the under my armpit, first thing before you get out of bed in the AM, my temp i always very, very low, indicating hypothyroidism.

For those of you with thyroid issues- did your "normal" thyroid test via bloodwork show the problem?
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hi Nina-glad to have you join us! For me (and probably many of us) getting diagnosed was half the battle. My levels were borderline high and I had to beg my doctor to give some weight to my symptoms. Once she finally prescribed Synthryoid and started treating me, I felt much better! One thing that helped me get my doctor to listen was keeping a record of my past test results and seeing the upward trend in the numbers.
    I wish you all the best and hope you get some relief soon!
  • sbusarah
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack the thread.....I have lost 22 lbs and have been stuck for 2 months. In the past every time I get the usual blood test for thyroid, I am borderline or normal. But I was seeing an holistic person and based on the under my armpit, first thing before you get out of bed in the AM, my temp i always very, very low, indicating hypothyroidism.

For those of you with thyroid issues- did your "normal" thyroid test via bloodwork show the problem?

I recommend the book Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic by Mark Starr that addresses this issue. My test results have been borderline but I suffer from many of the symptoms. I am trying to get a doctor that will base med on symptoms too. I am trying to see Dr. Starr because he lives in my city. Good luck with trying to get a doctor to work with you.
  • Genevieve23120
    Genevieve23120 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So did you match your BMR to your calorie intake?

Im 20 years old and was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease at around 17 but i've been gaining weight. I am also borderline anemic and diabetic. I've just started a workout regiment and am changing what I eat. I guess we'll see if it works.
  • Heevenlee
    Options
    I have it as well and fighting the fight you fight.Weight seems to stay the same trying to drop it but its hard with this.I joined this site a few days ago and trying to see what works.If anyone would like to add me and help me would be great mabey some will see what I am not seeing