Off the wall questions...

Options
I was curious, does it matter how fast you walk when you are trying to lose weight? Like I go everyday and walk usually about 2 miles...I walk pretty swiftly. Would it make a difference as far as burning calories and weight loss if I walked at a slower pace?

And this is odd, but I have always been told that having sex burns quite a few calories....does anyone know about how many, lol?:laugh:

Replies

• mommyagain
    mommyagain Posts: 28
    Options
    I was curious, does it matter how fast you walk when you are trying to lose weight? Like I go everyday and walk usually about 2 miles...I walk pretty swiftly. Would it make a difference as far as burning calories and weight loss if I walked at a slower pace?

And this is odd, but I have always been told that having sex burns quite a few calories....does anyone know about how many, lol?:laugh:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As for walking, you'll burn calories faster the quicker you walk.

For me, 30 minutes of walking 3 mph (moderate, dog walking) burns 126 calories.

30 minutes of very fast walking 4.5 mph burns 241 calories - more than double.

As for sex... I don't count it because I was doing it before I started losing weight and it wasn't doing me any good, so I don't count it now. I only count activities I do purposefully for exercise.

Just my opinion...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Previous thread about that somewhere 'round here. Swinging from the chandalier sex only burns a few calories.... say maybe 100 cals in 60 min, or some insane equation like that.

Speed makes a difference in the cals you burn when walking, as does incline. Walking uphill while maintaining speed burns extra cals too. I'm not a runner, so I choose steep inclines (on the treadmill) to beef up calorie expenditure.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    its about increasing your heart rate. If you can sustain a higher heart rage for the same time, then you are burning more calories, although the ratio of fat calories changes, the total number of calories and fat calories is still higher if you can keep your heart rate higher.

The thing is whether you can sustain the higher heart rate for the same period of time, if you can't it becomes a numbers game, I.E. if you can't keep up that rate for the same period, then does the period you CAN do it for have a greater calorie burn the the lower rate longer time? If it does then do the faster walk, if the lower heart rate, longer time has a higher total calorie burn, then do that.
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yep the faster you walk the better !!!

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou:
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    That is funny:laugh: I saw on this calorie exercise counting site that you burn like 102 cals in an hour and that was based on someone who was 150lbs. I would go with the idea that it didn't change my weight before so why count it now. Unless you are having a whole lot of earthshattering nights:blushing: . Then it may be worth counting. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/368.html
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    That is funny:laugh: I saw on this calorie exercise counting site that you burn like 102 cals in an hour and that was based on someone who was 150lbs. I would go with the idea that it didn't change my weight before so why count it now. Unless you are having a whole lot of earthshattering nights:blushing: . Then it may be worth counting. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/368.html

LOL, they must extrapolate. or add 3 time together for me LOL! :tongue:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    lol.. i told my hubby..hey we can burn calories... so weee really have to make this count...lol... then we ended up to tired.. to have any "RELATIONS"..
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The faster you walk, the faster your heart rate, so the faster you burn calories.

As for sex, usually it doesn't burn much in the way of calories... but that depends on how long you're going and um... how interesting your sex life is :bigsmile: :blushing: