• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know a Daniel who likes waffles.:heart:

Oh I'd consider a waffle fast.
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine tried it and saw Satan. Probably because of the lack of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It's a religious 21 day fast. you may as well heckle people over Ramadan.

Except that the Daniel Fast is not an important part of Christianity.
    Who cares? If it's observed by any christians as part of their faith it's part of christianity.
    No true scotsman...

I was raised in the protestant church. I have never, ever, not once, heard of someone using that daniel diet as an observance of faith. Never.
    ...and?
    I guarantee you there will be people here on MFP doing it. There were last year.
    Just because you don't observe a certain ritual doesn't mean other people don't.
    I'm not religious, although like you, I was raised in the Protestant faith. I'm not about to judge anyone's religious practices no matter my feelings on them.
    Your argument is an appeal to popularity, a logical fallacy.

Religion is one thing, promoting a fast to sell books is a whole other story.

ETA:
    To answer the question in OP....don't.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Who cares? If it's observed by any christians as part of their faith it's part of christianity.
    No true scotsman...

I was raised in the protestant church. I have never, ever, not once, heard of someone using that daniel diet as an observance of faith. Never.
    ...and?
    I guarantee you there will be people here on MFP doing it. There were last year.
    Just because you don't observe a certain ritual doesn't mean other people don't.
    I'm not religious, although like you, I was raised in the Protestant faith. I'm not about to judge anyone's religious practices no matter my feelings on them.

lol and you're trying to make this discussion about religion, when it was meant to be about a diet.
  • EricaFaythe
    Options

No true scotsman...

...and?

You called this a "religious" fast, and then stated it was a tenant of Christianity just because some Christians follow it. I can create a "Bacon for Jesus" movement, and that doesn't make it a part of Christianity; perhaps it is a part of THEIR religious experience, but not to Christianity as a whole. Your overstatement, which appeals to popularity, is a logical fallacy.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

No true scotsman...

...and?

lol and you're trying to make this discussion about religion, when it was meant to be about a diet.
    No. I personally think they are both silly, but it's not my call if people want to observe their faith any way they want.
    Other religions get a pass on their fasting. If you give a pass to one, you should give a pass to any.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

the website reads like an infomercial.

A website/infomercial with quite a few grammatical mistakes.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

No. I personally think they are both silly, but it's not my call if people want to observe their faith any way they want.
    Other religions get a pass on their fasting. If you give a pass to one, you should give a pass to any.

agreed.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    November 04, 2013 8:03 pm
    I guess it's a religious fast so that's a whole other argument I won't go into here.

November 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Just couldn't wait a full 10 minutes, could ya big guy?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No true scotsman...

...and?

You called this a "religious" fast, and then stated it was a tenant of Christianity just because some Christians follow it. I can create a "Bacon for Jesus" movement, and that doesn't make it a part of Christianity; perhaps it is a part of THEIR religious experience, but not to Christianity as a whole. Your overstatement, which appeals to popularity, is a logical fallacy.

I'd convert for that.
  • EricaFaythe
    Options

No true scotsman...

...and?

I'd convert for that.

Amen.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    To original poster: If you want to do it for religious, then go for it. That's between you and God. But a Daniel Fast isn't a requirement in the Christian faith. The Bible calls for us to fast but I suggest you read up on what Jesus has to say about how to fast.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried The Daniel Fast? If so, what was experience like? Any do's or don'ts?

Need details.
  • Topself
    Options
    Please read what happens on day three or four on it. Make sure to read what people have posted on the internet about it, its true. I followed perfect and got so sick. If you have never fasted or ate perfect, its going to be hard on your body. Toxins will start to leave your body on day three or four. This is the bad part if you have never cleansed your body. I am a christian, but I was doing this for a cleanse of my body. DETOX if you may.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Please read what happens on day three or four on it. Make sure to read what people have posted on the internet about it, its true. I followed perfect and got so sick. If you have never fasted or ate perfect, its going to be hard on your body. Toxins will start to leave your body on day three or four. This is the bad part if you have never cleansed your body. I am a christian, but I was doing this for a cleanse of my body. DETOX if you may.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It says no pleasant food and then goes on to list my favorite fruit and veggies as ok. What?
    If I were to have no pleasant food I would have to eat eggplants, zucchinis and capsicums and drink diet coke, creamy soda and coffee. YUCK!!

Count me out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

What religion requires a Daniel Fast? How is it a pillar of a belief system?
    Religious tolerance does not preclude critical thinking.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

And just what toxins do you think you're detoxing from that your good, healthy liver and kidneys aren't filtering out?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Many churches in the South perform a Daniel Fast annually. A lot of them do it in January, It's not any sort of religious "requirement", but is often done in addition to daily prayer as an reminder of what is most important in your life. I've never participated. My faith does not have ceremonies or events that are required for you to participate in as an entrance to Heaven. But as previously mentioned, it's strictly voluntary. Some people "fast" other worldly things instead of food- TV, internet, etc.

Regardless of the religious implications, It's a good time for many church members to take off some excess holiday weight. It's not a strict no-food fast (as some posters here STILL have not figured out). It's not too radical- The basic rule is just don't eat meats, breads, treats, and general junk. Most people lose a few pounds in three weeks. My worry would be getting adequate protein from a plant based diet, but three weeks on it ain't gonna kill anyone. If you're doing it strictly for weight loss it'll probably work, just like any other lower calorie diet will.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried The Daniel Fast? If so, what was experience like? Any do's or don'ts?

It's more a focus on eating unprocessed foods and avoiding meats, oils, and anything you consider to be generally yummy. All in all it isn't terrible and you can eat your fill of lots of food. You're just going to have to refocus your diet to exclude the majority of stuff you take for granted now.

If you're doing this for religious reasons then carry on. If this is a means to lose weight then you really should look at just controlling your calorie intake since there are no bad foods.