5k on 30th November?

Options
So I've been working with a pt focusing on the goal of running 5k. First due date was 12/9 which I didn't make because of an injury from a car accident. Second due date is 30/11 and I want to make it! Mostly because I'm stubborn and also because I bet the pt a black of chocolate and a bottle of red wine. So far, I have been doing HIIT two or three times a week and weights twice a week. Aside from the last week which I have had off as a result of a stomach bug. So my dilemma is that in HIIT I am only running 1 minute intervals and can barely breathe by 45-50 seconds so I have nfi how I am going to run 5k without break. My pt says relax it will all come together but I am not quite so optimistic about my lungs. So my question is what can I do to be able to breathe when running ??? Also how can I adapt my HIIT to make sure I can run the 5k on the 30/11.

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Why are you not on a running programme like C25K?
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was doing C25k before working with the pt, I got stuck at about the 2 minute mark with breathing and wanted professional help?
  • Hestion
    Options
    But you got further then than now? Not having a go just trying to understand, does your pt have lots of running experience themselves? As it doesn't sound it?
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    I don't feel like I am making progress which is why I am asking here... Pt is a professional soccer coach as well as a pt so I am guessing he has some tactical running experience?Might try the c25k app again tomorrow and see how far I can get? Not sure how to tackle it, I don't need to do it fast, (my intervals atm are 12km/h) but I need to complete it? No stress, not taking it personally :D
  • GatorGirl73
    Options
    Don't give up, you can do this. You've made it to the 2mile mark, that itself is a fabulous thing. I agree, and I think you should give the C25K another shot. Good luck & Happy Running! :)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I suspect you might be making a mistake that many many people make with c25k, including me and that is running far to fast in the first few weeks on the running bits. I apologise if this is not the case but otherwise try slowing down. I thought I was running slow until I really listened to what you are supposed to do. for the running bit, while you are first learning, you just go ever so slightly faster than a walk, that's it!!!! So start by walking and then tip over a very little bit. See if this helps and then in a few weeks when you have built up distance try to also build up speed.
  • Hestion
    Options
    Although I'm sure he done lots of running, its different, building up endurance takes time, i used C25K then 5210K app then the half marathon training app, and my pt has ran several marathons, although I'm way laid due to injury :-( but i think its a good idea to go back to it, it does work, slow right down and relax and concentrate on breathing to begin with, and stretch properly first, that was my mistake as i upped the distance and speed thinking walking was a good enough warmup its not, your hip flexors are very important
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    I haven't made 2miles, just 2 minutes running solid, hence the problem :(
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    Thanks, the half marathon is my eventual goal. I'll try the c25k again, slow it down a bit and see how I go. :D
  • Hestion
    Options
    Keep at it :-) honestly it will come :-)
  • srworthy
    srworthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K and hated it. I know a lot of people had success with the program but it was not for me. I did 10x1min intervals 3-4 times a week then changed to 5X2min intervals after a while. One day I decided to try to run a 5k and ran it in 36:00. I know that is not a record breaking time but for someone weighing 107kg it thought it was okay, especially considering that before I started the interval training I was dead after 4min! Now I try do the intervals and have a "long" run once a week.

Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    HIIT and running are NOT the same thing. If you want to be a distance runner, you need to run. Plain and simple. If you trainer doesn't have you running and is making bets with you about a running outcome.....I wonder what kind of trainer he/she is. You can walk run your 5k on 11/30. You'll finish. But if you can't even run slowly for more than 2 minutes 25 days out.....plan on a walk/run event.
  • Hestion
    Options
    HIIT and running are NOT the same thing. If you want to be a distance runner, you need to run. Plain and simple. If you trainer doesn't have you running and is making bets with you about a running outcome.....I wonder what kind of trainer he/she is. You can walk run your 5k on 11/30. You'll finish. But if you can't even run slowly for more than 2 minutes 25 days out.....plan on a walk/run event.

lol I was thinking that about the trainer, but you were much more to the point ;-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Slow down your running. It's not RUNNING full out as fast as you can go. It might be slightly faster than a slow walk or you might need to do the same idea as C25K and take walk breaks. I'd recommend going out and running/walking 5K at least 3 times a week. Doesn't matter how you get there but go the whole distance. You can also do a 5k doing run/walk intervals. I've actually tried it and found out my time wasn't that much different from running the whole thing. I also know people who do whole marathons doing run/walk intervals.

HIIT training is great for increasing your speed but you need the endurance before you need to worry about getting speed. Soccer players need to have bursts of speed to play the game along with endurance but it's much different than running for distance.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go outside for a run at a slow pace, you should be going slow enough that you can have a conversation. If I'm runn8ng faster than I think I should, I sing along with my music. It helps. Make sure you do your run outside, go out and run at this slow pace and see how far you get. My guess is it's more then 2 minutes. Then make a choice either see how this translates to c25k or just add 5 mins to your run time at the beginning of each week. Either do interval walk/running for your 5k or do your slow running for however long you can do it at that time and walk the rest. Either way, you can complete a 5k on the 30th!

When I was starting out I preferred adding time rather than intervals. Figure out what works for you.
  • brittgood90
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble breathing when I first started running as well. I did my first 5k a month ago and my time was awful. So i decided to do my second one this past weekend and did it in 35 minutes, it isnt a great time or anything, but its alot better than the last time I did it. However, I did a run/walk the whole time, I ran 2 minutes and walked 1, with a bit longer push at the end! I think you should try interval tarining and then just increase your running time as it gets easier!

Goodluck with everything! :)
  • Hestion
    Options
    Can I add, and I know lots of people I'll be teaching to suck eggs here, but it is very very very very (get the message lol) important to stretch, especially hip flexors and work on core strength when running, I loved the C25K app etc, but it only states warmup with a walk, obviously its not there to fully go into everything, but I was naughty and kept omitting stretching, and now as I've started to really up my game its showing, hence how I've damaged the muscles and now cant run or anything like it for weeks, please please, no matter even if your only running for a couple of minute intervals here and there, stretch properly!