Why am I still a size 18

Options
I have lost twenty five pounds the past two months, I run/swim 3/4x a week and yet I am still the same size 18i was two months ago. Is it because I lost more of my stomach than my legs, I would have thought I'd be a size 15 by now at least

Replies

• kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Every one loses weight in different locations depending on where they store fat. For someone whose weight is all stored in the stomach even losing 10 lbs is going to drop a size in the waist. But if you store fat in your thighs it is going to take a lot more to start losing around your waist! If you aren't measuring your arms, thighs, waist, stomach and hips I would start. This would help you keep from getting discouraged!

Keep up the great work! :)
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, there are at least 10 posts a day about how someone can't seem to lose any weight from their stomach. The grass is always greener on the other side.

It will eventually come off, patience =)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised if you go to the store and try on other pants. I was size 18 also, thought I hadn't lost any size and I fit in 14s easily!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I cant budge from an 18 either. I am not sure what size I was when I started losing this time because I was wearing only sweatpants. I have a ton of 16's that I would love to be wearing right now!!!
  • kristensaav
    kristensaav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would go off of the way you look in the picture on your profile and say you look awesome!
  • srosenthal1979
    srosenthal1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Understandably frustrating. I have lost weight before in large amounts and not moved one size. This time (and I'd like to add, the LAST time I'll be losing THESE specific pounds!) it seems I am losing in different areas than before. I'm only down a little over 15 pounds, but have moved down one full size and it's even a little loose on me. Crazy how this body seems to work!! :)

Keep up the great work!
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 and a size 22 and I never thought I would get out of plus sizes, but it does happen, I am now between a 12-14. If the pictures you have posted on your home page are really you then you must be caring most of you weight in your bottom and legs. I also go to the pool to work out, but I do not swim much. I jog in the water, about chest deep for an hr now, but I start with 20 min of jogging and 40 min of walking. I usually do other exercises in the pool as well, there are lots on the web that you can try, depending on your fitness. Look for ones that target the part of your body that is giving you the most trouble. Also take your measurements, they will tell you what is working and what isn't. Good luck.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    We all stall out at some point. I've been working at losing weight for over 2 years now, and there have been times when I was stuck at the same weight for 6-8 months.
    However... I know I lost inches albeit slowly because some very old pants I have kept around are now too loose. That tells me exactly what I need to know. I really have lost inches. I don't believe the sizes in the stores nowadays because they have changed so drastically. When I was 115 pounds in high school in the early 70s, I wore a size 12 so why would I now wear a size 8 when I'm still 20 pounds heavier than that now? See what I mean? So it's good to keep a few smaller sizes around, whatever they are, that you used to fit into, so you have a real test of your body changing.
    One other thing I found that works: cut the bad fats out of your diet as best you can. I read recently that your body only burns 3 calories taking fat you eat and storing it on your middle. A biopsy of the fat around your middle can reveal exactly what kind of fat it came from (i.e., dairy fat, olive oil, etc.). But if you ingest less fat than you burn, your body has to use the fat in its stores. You become a fat-burning body when you force it to burn already stored fat. To that end, I have reduced my fat significantly, and over the past year I have definitely noticed the loss of body fat, especially around my middle. (If I exercised more, like you, I would probably see results faster but alas, I am a lazy soul.)
    You're out there doing good things for your health, and I hope you're having fun at the same time. So go enjoy the moment. I haven't seen your food diary or how you balance your macros, but I believe the weight will come off eventually if you keep going in the same healthy direction you're going.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It depends on the cut of the clothing, too. I went shopping over the weekend, tried on a dress and was grumbling that it was the same size...but ended up buying another dress I liked more, two sizes smaller to boot. :glasses:
  • Calyaz
    Options
    It took me 35 lbs to go from an 18 to 16. I've read the "10lbs lost to drop a size" just doesn't apply to plus size. I've lost another 10lbs since I hit size 16 and I am not even close to fitting into a 14.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    First off, love your tattoo. Second.....you don't look like an 18 in your pics
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am only down two sizes and have lost 70 lbs., so we are all different!!! I do need some new clothes though. I wonder if I will be able to fit in to anything smaller?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I would go off of the way you look in the picture on your profile and say you look awesome!

Agree with this! You look fab, OP!

I'm in between sizes 16 and 18 and my midriff sure as heck does not look a thing like that LOL

I know it probably doesn't "help" but I wore a size 22 from 307 lb all the way to about 245 lb. clearly you're WAY way smaller but sometimes the larger sizes are slower to change, than when you're a size 6 and 5 or so lb could make you fit into a size 4 or 2.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    This is why you need to take your measurements. Clothes are an okay judge but since a lot of material is stretch in some ways they may still fit you. Don't get discouraged..just keep at it. I still wear my original size 16s and cant fit the 14s yet but lost a lot of inches. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    First off, love your tattoo. Second.....you don't look like an 18 in your pics
    Seconded. Are you sure you didn't accidentally add a 1 in front the of the 8?
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are several reasons this could happen. I started at a size 18 or 20 depending on the brand, and in 40+ pounds, I'm only down to a 14 (loose or tight depending on the brand now, haha). BUT I've gone down to a size 10-12 in dress sizes, so for me, it's just that I'm losing a lot more on top that on bottom. I lose quickly in my stomach but slowly in hips, buns, and thighs. So the waist on my old jeans was super baggy for about 20lbs until I could finally move down. :grumble:

It could also be that you're buying from a brand that runs small. Like someone said, you REALLY don't look like an 18 to me. Unless you're just really large framed, which I guess is possible (or you are storing a lot of that fat in your lower half). So, yeah, could be the brand, or it could be uneven fat loss, or even a combination of the two.

When I was wondering this myself, I remember reading that it can take something like 20lbs for some people to move down a size within plus size pants, but that once you're below a certain size, it only takes about 5-10lbs to drop a pants size. Don't know if it's true but it matches up with my experience.

(Also, you mentioned wanting to fit into 15s. If you're built curvy, like me, you may not want to bother with junior sizes. I can fit into 14s now but not 15s... I believe it's because they're cut straighter.)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Thats what I dont get, im showing signs of a six pac yet my fat *kitten* lol is still squeezing into a size 18. I took measurements today like suggested and they havent budged either even my stomach which has nodoubtedly gotten smaller. Maybe I did it wrong
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    if you havent already, you might want to try a different cut/style of pants. I know that depending on the cut of my jeans it can be a difference of 1-2 sizes. For example, my 16 flares are loose and baggy on me now but I'm just now fitting comfortably in my 16 bootcuts and last time I was in the store there were other 16 bootcuts that I couldn't even pull up over my thighs.

Also, for slimming down my thighs and butt, I know that cardio with resistance (such as walking on an incline) working well for me. My thighs are still huge but much smarter than they were.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well speaking for myself... may not be true for you: by the time I decided to start on this journey I was busting out of my size 18's and they were stretched out ( But I had steadfastly refused to by size 20's). Therefore... the first 20 or so pounds made me a true size 18. Now that I'm down -36 I'm a true size 16.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thats what I dont get, im showing signs of a six pac yet my fat *kitten* lol is still squeezing into a size 18. I took measurements today like suggested and they havent budged either even my stomach which has nodoubtedly gotten smaller. Maybe I did it wrong

I'm having a really hard time believing you're an 18. Are you talking junior sizes, so like a 17/18? That is smaller than a misses 18. Also, are you really tall?

Either way, as hard as it is to accept, you may just be that size. You look FAR better than I do, and I wear a size 8. So be proud LOL!