How far are you willing to go for your pet?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would do what I can afford. They are just dogs however, and my kids come first. With 4 farm dogs, you learn how to say goodbye.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We had a similar situation with our family dog a few years ago - she had had undiagnosed spinal arthritis, and then her spine snapped one day when my brother was playing ball with her (poor bro was devastated - he thought it was his fault for ages when it definitely wasn't!). We would have struggled with the money anyway, but in the end we actually decided it would be crueller to make her have the op than put her down: the op required 6 months of no excercise whatsoever and over a year after that of slow rehabilitation. Some dogs can handle that level of inactivity, but as a collie it would have been tantamount to torture for her.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    When we have any living creature and they decide we are are ok for them, they become part of our family. It does not matter if it is a fish in the fish tank or one of our White West Highland Terriers (we have two and love the breed).

As they are now family, we will do ANYTHING for them.

The time there is any question about it is when it is a quality of life issue.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    c988b602-3efb-4dd4-a7b8-0b2076d271be_zps03a50889.jpg
    3eb9583a-27ca-4404-9361-9e3932e3ce07_zps2a78751c.jpg

this is lennon. he's an italian greyhound, so he's very prone to broken legs. he's broken 2 different ones, 3 different times. (it's stopped since he has become full grown, thank god, seeing him in pain killed me) combined for all his x-rays and such was 2 grand, but there is nothing i wouldn't do for this little guy.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Spending that kind of money on a pet would take away from my family. I'd have to say it's just a dog and people are more important.
    My child, I would go to the end of the earth and back for and spend every last dime to make him feel better any way I can.
    It is very easy for me to distinguish between the two.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    As soon as the dogs name changes to "Bill".....you gotta end it

To me, my pets are like my kids, and I'm pretty sure most parents around here dont end it when their kids inevitably develop the middle name "Bill".

edited to add: I guess I have a different mindset than some people. The phrase "just a (insert animal here)" just never crosses my mind any more than it's "just a kid" or "just a person". They are living breathing creatures, not material belongings. It's JUST a TV, or a smart phone, or a shirt.

I guess I find the idea of "just an animal" to be very homo-centric. I don't feel that humans are any more important than any other creature on this planet.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy pet mother who would jump in the middle of the road to stop my dog from being hit by a car.

With that being said, I also don't have kids. Priorities may change. But right now, I'd do anything for her.

THIS. I have a 2-yr old Italian Greyhound -- right now, since I'm not married and don't have any children, I consider him to be like my child. My life revolves around him and making sure I meet his needs (potty breaks, food, treats, toys, clothes (he has like zero fur and freezes outside in the winter), daily walks, and attention). He is my main priority in life right now -- I plan vacations around him, and my weekend plans are made around his schedule.

I once jumped in front of a school bus full of kids to save him. he ran into the street then got startled by the bus and froze in the middle of the road. I ran like a psycho to get to the street and stood between the bus and my dog to make sure the bus driver saw him/me. she stopped. I scooped up my tiny white dog, and we went on our merry little way. (that's him in my profile picture, btw. LOL).

This might sound crazy, but I take my responsibility as a pet owner seriously. He has feelings and needs just like any other creature does, and since I adopted him it's my job to make sure those needs are met.

If he had a severe illness, a broken bone, or a life-threatening condition, I would do everything in my power to get it fixed/cured. If that means selling a TV or having a garage sale, setting up a donations page, or getting a second job to make ends meet -- that's what I would do. Because just like I wouldn't just "put down" a small child with an illness, I wouldn't put down an animal with an illness.

Now, if there was NO cure or no fix for his condition, that would be another story altogether. But again, I wouldn't just put him down due to finances or inconvenience.

ETA: I have him on a wellness plan through his vet so all of his yearly shots, teeth cleanings, checkups, and even getting him fixed was covered under this plans. This plan also provides medication discounts and discounts for other services as well (ear cleaning, blood work, etc) if he ever needs them. However, after reading all this about pet insurance, I'm thinking I'm going to need to look into this as a "just in case" sort of avenue.

btw your dog is adorable ^.^
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy pet mother who would jump in the middle of the road to stop my dog from being hit by a car.

With that being said, I also don't have kids. Priorities may change. But right now, I'd do anything for her.

THIS. I have a 2-yr old Italian Greyhound -- right now, since I'm not married and don't have any children, I consider him to be like my child. My life revolves around him and making sure I meet his needs (potty breaks, food, treats, toys, clothes (he has like zero fur and freezes outside in the winter), daily walks, and attention). He is my main priority in life right now -- I plan vacations around him, and my weekend plans are made around his schedule.

I once jumped in front of a school bus full of kids to save him. he ran into the street then got startled by the bus and froze in the middle of the road. I ran like a psycho to get to the street and stood between the bus and my dog to make sure the bus driver saw him/me. she stopped. I scooped up my tiny white dog, and we went on our merry little way. (that's him in my profile picture, btw. LOL).

This might sound crazy, but I take my responsibility as a pet owner seriously. He has feelings and needs just like any other creature does, and since I adopted him it's my job to make sure those needs are met.

If he had a severe illness, a broken bone, or a life-threatening condition, I would do everything in my power to get it fixed/cured. If that means selling a TV or having a garage sale, setting up a donations page, or getting a second job to make ends meet -- that's what I would do. Because just like I wouldn't just "put down" a small child with an illness, I wouldn't put down an animal with an illness.

Now, if there was NO cure or no fix for his condition, that would be another story altogether. But again, I wouldn't just put him down due to finances or inconvenience.

ETA: I have him on a wellness plan through his vet so all of his yearly shots, teeth cleanings, checkups, and even getting him fixed was covered under this plans. This plan also provides medication discounts and discounts for other services as well (ear cleaning, blood work, etc) if he ever needs them. However, after reading all this about pet insurance, I'm thinking I'm going to need to look into this as a "just in case" sort of avenue.

Both of you have adorable dogs!
  • jenltaylor
    jenltaylor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We went through the exact situation with our dachshund two years ago. We paid for the surgery and now she has about 98% of her function back in her back legs. She's happy and a huge part of our family! I can't imagine not doing the surgery since we thankfully had the money to do it. I'll do anything I can to make sure my pets have long and happy lives.
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a dog lover and for me, our dogs are part of our family. We have just spent an insane amount of money flying our dogs from New Zealand back home to England when we emigrated back. A lot of people questioned our decision and yes there were comments that it was an unbelievable waste of money..but if you are as close to your pets like you are to your children, re homing them was unthinkable. But we were lucky enough to be able to afford to do it, just, with a few sacrifices here and there but there was no question that they were coming. I recognise it is a very personal choice,decision and circumstances but I always try and go with my heart and gut instinct... my reply is in answer to your question...how far are you willing to go? 12 thousand miles!!! (NZ to England!)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Alot of people do not get that strong connection to their pets that seems to be automatic in some people. I love my dog as a member of my family and in many ways he is like my child. That being said I would "always" weigh the benefit to the pet vs any needs that I have myself to "keep them alive no matter what". Losing a beloved pet is heartbreaking but keeping a pet alive for our own benefit without regard to their pain and what they have to endure is cruel. In your case it seems that his prognosis will be good and that he will thrive for many more years. You can't put a $$ limit on that..and don't need to if you have the means to provide that for him. It is your business and NO ONE else's how you choose to spend your money....I would refrain from discussing such a personal matter with anyone other than my spouse. Plain and simple it is none of their concern. For those of limited resources the choice is more complicated and there probably is a limit to how much they can fund. It doesn't mean they wouldn't do it if they had the money its just reality. For me there is a definite distinction between pet and child. I would give everything I have if my child was ill but I "would" have to set a limit on my pet. Good luck with your decision.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    c988b602-3efb-4dd4-a7b8-0b2076d271be_zps03a50889.jpg
    3eb9583a-27ca-4404-9361-9e3932e3ce07_zps2a78751c.jpg

this is lennon. he's an italian greyhound, so he's very prone to broken legs. he's broken 2 different ones, 3 different times. (it's stopped since he has become full grown, thank god, seeing him in pain killed me) combined for all his x-rays and such was 2 grand, but there is nothing i wouldn't do for this little guy.

He is so presh!! :heart: And I love his name! My iggy's name is Oliver -- it suits him. LOL I bet they would be great friends. :)
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ^this^
    Nothing I wouldn't do to save my baby. If I couldn't afford it or raise the money I'd work with a rescue that could help. I donate to several of these on a regular basis. I'm a big animal lover so I may be have more exposure to these types of groups. I think a lot of people don't realize they have options and that help is available before just putting an animal down.

I should also mention that my dog is special needs (he only has 3 legs). While it has never slowed him down one bit I knew that I was taking on a pet that could end up costing me a lot of money if he had hip issues, knee issues, old age issues. It's been about 12 years since I adopted him, he's going on 14 and so far so good. But if and when he needs anything I'm ready :-)

Btw, I hope the surgery is a success but if he needs additional support during recovery there is an amazing guy that makes wheel carts for pets with back or walking issues. If you can pay great but if not he does it with donations from other supporters.
    Good luck Dexter :-)
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Both of you have adorable dogs!

Thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I am with the OP. My dog was diagnosed with Bilateral elbow dysplacia when he was 22 months old. It required surgery and a lot of rehab. Total cost was close to £8000 (around $13000). The insurance only covered 25% of the overall cost.

Oh that's naughty!! :grumble: If you're responsible and you pay for your insurance then they should pay up when you need them to. Glad he's ok now. x

The insurance company was just awful, we had the right level of cover but they disputed pretty much all costs. It took them over 12 weeks to pay up. I would never insure anything with them again, they were absolute sharks!
    Now, I do still have insurance for him, but I also have what I call my 'Harvey fund'. I put money into this every month to cover any additional medical costs that may/will come in the future.

How awful to be let down like that and sensible to have a bit of a savings fund.

When I picked my insurer, I surveyed 2 friends (one vet and one veterany nurse from different surgeries) and asked them who are the good reputable companies that don't quibble and also pay the vets direct instead of you having to up-front the costs and then re-claim, and they gave me a recommendation.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have two Bernese Mountain Dogs. Yup, I paid a lot for these dogs, but always wanted this particular breed. And I have to say, having had golden retrievers, labs, and mutts in the past, these are the best dogs ever.

That said, both have their medical issues. They are only 6 and I would do anything for them. I pay quite a bit every month for their medications and do it gladly, because I took responsibility for them when I got them. I love them and am willing to pay what's needed to keep them happy and well. I have no kids--these guys are my family.

Beau has seizures (infrequently) and is on phenobarbitol every day. He also has a thyroid issue (minor), for which he is on meds every day. Finally, he has cervical disk disease, which will one day require very expensive surgery. His last flare up was successfully treated conservatively with bed rest, steroids, and pain medication. But it will one day require that surgery--which has a very high success rate so I won't hesitate to pay for it. The aftercare will also be pricey. Since I'm single and can't be home with him after the surgery, I'm going to either have to board him at a vets, or pay a pet sitter to stay with him.

He is a sweetheart dog, who would jump on a bear for me so I will do anything I can for him. But luckily, I can do that for him, with only some hardship. 20 years ago I was in a different place and would not have been able to afford it. And that would break my heart.

My dog Kelsey has hip dysplasia, and mal-formed hind legs. He was the runt of the litter but gets along just fine with his gimpy back legs. I also call him my grumpy old man dog--he hates change and going anywhere (unless its a walk). He's on pain meds and anti-inflammatories, but he almost never seems to be in pain. He can't take such long walks anymore, but I've changed up the routine so he gets his short walk and then Beau gets a longer one. The vet doesn't think it will get so severe that it will require surgery. Honestly, the life expectancy of a Berner is such that he'll probably pass away before it gets too bad. Which will break my heart, but I knew going in that they had a shorter life expectancy (they're considered a 'giant' breed and as such have shorter lives).

These dogs have gotten me through some tough times. I will tear up at the very thought of losing them.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't have pets if they aren't prepared to spend that money on them.

You wouldn't have kids then decide when they need money spent on them that you can't afford them anymore and put them down, so it shouldn't be this way with pets.

Our whole society tends to THROW PETS AWAY. So guess what. Honestly, if the surgery was that expensive, I kind of doubt I would pay for it for my dog. I love both my pups. But there are 1,000's in shelters in my state alone. I might adopt a new animal and care for it if the condition was too uncomfortable for my animal, or if it would decrease their quality of life. I'm fairly certain that my golden will have hip displacement within her lifetime, and typical age of golden's dying these days is between 6 and 8 years old. If she was close to that I would probably cut my losses and save another animal. It doesn't mean I don't love her. It means that I understand our society is one that often throws things away. Living things. I have to make my own decision on how to balance out that negative part of American life. Having been to kill shelters vs no kill shelters, I'd also vote for the kill shelter.

Why? Because in a no kill where everything is run on donations they are often kept in squalor, have fleas, are subject to getting into fights with other dogs they are kenneled with, and often do not have a chance of being adopted. What kind of life is that? It's not.

All the kill shelters have been clean, have several volunteers to walk dogs and do grooming, but get a bad rep because they kill the animals we decide we don't have time for. I don't see any decent way to get people to stop breeding, and indeed, I HATE most liscensed breeders because I can't afford 1200 or more for a dog, but I can pay for food, walk them and get them preventative vet care. I also don't want to deal with the problems that inbreeding causes. Give me a mutt any day and don't try to sell it to me as a "designer hybrid".

I'm not sure where you are getting your information on the lifespan of Golden Retrievers. I've been doing Golden rescue for over 10 years and the average lifespan of a Golden is 10-12 years, not 6-8 years.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the $5,000, I picked up a second job on the weekends temporarily to pay down the $5000 quickly. I'll totally work weekends for my dog and I can have the $5000 paid back within the year. Def worth it for me.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Not crazy at all and I wish everyone thought like you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I also volunteer at the dog rescue where I got my dog from and we're dreading Christmas already. All those puppies bought on a whim from some non-reputable back-yard breeder, dumped within a few weeks of having them, when they've made the first mess, haven't miraculously house-trained themselves or the owners realised that vaccinations don't come cheap etc.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would pay the $5000 in a heartbeat...and I don't have it on hand, but I would get it.

Our pup gives a lot in return for our care of him...he is part of our family.