Options

Replies

• dzejn8
    Options
    gg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You've done well. Forget the pouch of loose skin and focus on strength training and eating to train rather than lose more weight.
  • hoppyfrog1
    Options
    NO! You look great, and you certainly don't look fat either.
    Just work on the crunches and core work alongside the cardio and weights.
    Problem is as you add definition and lose more body fat, you'll gain a little weight as you increase muscle, so you don't need to worry so much on the weight figure now.
    Give your skin time, it'll pull in (just slower than the fat was to lose)
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way: I'm 5'8" and trying to get UP to 155lbs. The top end of my BMI "healthy" would be at about 164lbs, but I have no desire nor the right structure to be up there. 6' tall would certainly have a much higher recommended weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A lot of people in my family are telling me that I've taken things too far and that I need to stop losing weight. My mom is a doctor and even she has been telling me this, she's the one that wanted me to start losing weight in the first place.

I agree with everyone about it most likely being excess skin, with the best bet being continued strength training, gradually added more calories, and time/patience.

I will add another view to this, though--you are eating a tremendously low amount of calories. Your goal is 1500, but I saw several days of netting somewhere around 600. Even with increased protein and strength training, you're reaching a point where you're probably spinning your wheels. As others said, go to maintenance, or even consider a bulk, before you think about dropping further.

Not sure how often you're around your family when you eat, but they may have voiced concern because of your minimal eating + maximum exercising.
  • persistandendure
    Options
    You're doing great. Just don't pay any attention to any negative comments. Build yourself up and keep moving forward!
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    To answer your question directly - no you do not look too thin - not at all. I'm not far off you (6'1, 173 lbs)

As everyone above has said, weights will help build muscle (I actually think pressups too will be good for your overall upper body). As for the skin, I don't know. Perhaps give it a few months, see whether it adapts to your new size.

Overall - very well done!

One question - how did you come up with 155 as a target weight? (My approach was to look up tennis players and 400 metre runners that were my height, and use their weight as a benchmark)
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would stop focusing on fat loss and start focusing on gaining muscle. Lifting heavy will help you lose fat, but it will tone you up so you look less "skinny" and more "fit!"
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dude, I am/was in the same boat as you, right down to the "stop losing weight, eat a burger, etc." comments and lower abdomen loose skin. My starting weight was around 260 lbs (at 6'2") and I'm currently bouncing around in the 155-160 lb range. Throughout the weight loss, the loose skin on my lower abdomen became more noticeable and I thought that if I kept losing it would eventually go away.

Finally, I got to a point where I concluded that further weight loss probably wouldn't be a good idea, even though the loose skin remained, so I upped my caloric intake and started eating at maintenance. In the 5 months I've been maintaining, my waist size has gone down 1"-1.5" on top of what I lost while in weight loss mode and loose skin in other areas has retracted as well, which has definitely improved my appearance. I also started taking lifting more seriously and that should help even more. Yeah, I've gotten the "too skinny" comments the whole time, but anytime you lose a good chunk of weight, as in your case, it's going to drastically alter how you look and people can take awhile to get used to it. Don't pay any mind to comments from others, because in the end what they say really doesn't matter, it's about how YOU feel.

No, I don't think you look too thin, I think you look fine. Don't get into the mindset of continually losing weight in an effort to chase the "perfect body" or to try to make the loose skin disappear. That's where you can run into problems because it can turn into a "maybe if I lose just 5 more lbs" type of deal where that 5 lbs turns into another 5 and then into another 5 until it gets out of hand (not saying that's what you're doing, but it does happen).

I'm not going to try to sway you one way or the other, but I think you would do great eating at maintenance for a month or two, continuing your exercise regimen and monitoring your body measurements. You may find that more weight loss in unnecessary.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Your calorioes over the last 10 months were at a pretty staggering deficit. You look like you've lost a fair amount of lean mass. That may have been of concern to them. That being said, whats done is done.

The only issue I see with cutting to 10% is plateaus. Don't develop an ED. Dont go even lower and just do more exericise. You're no longer at a dangerous weight so you have no excuse to do extreme such deficits. If you cant do it healthily than I'd agree with them that you should stop. I think you can though, but, brute force isn't the way to 10%. Getting to really low BF% requires skilled dieting, not extremes. Or extremes in conjunction with a pile of drugs that bodybuilders use.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    you don't look too thin, but you do need toning and muscles.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Agree that it looks more like extra skin. Focus less on losing weight, and more on gaining muscle. You'll be surprised at the difference you see.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Being overweight for too long damages the elastic properties of the skin. See a trainer/doctor about toning your stomach if you can. You may have to get a tummy tuck.
  • HolyPeas
    Options
    You don't look anorexic or anything, but you do look thin. I wouldn't think you have any more weight to drop at this point, looks like you might just benefit from hitting the weights a little bit in the gym. Other people are usually far too willing to tell us what to do, when to do it, and even, apparently, when to stop.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I'm currently 167 pounds as a 6'0"(183cm) 30 y/o male.

The problem is I had my body fat measured by a DEXA machine at the beggining of October at 175 lbs and it registered 15%. So I made a goal for myself to get to 155 pounds and 10% body fat by the end of the year. My stomach still does not look flat (it looks kind of like a floppy/droopy pancake) and I feel like there are still significant fat deposits around my midsection. In fact, the dexa scan said I had 14 lbs of fat on my "trunk" alone, which I take to mean midsection. There was also 10 lbs of fat on my legs and 2 lbs on my arms.

I have been lifting weights during most of my weight loss, an 8-12 rep routine with barbells going as heavy as possible. I'm also trying to keep my protein intake over 100 grams per day to minimize muscle loss.

I wouldn't say you've necessarily gone too far. Even at 155, you're within the healthy BMI range (which is an ok rough guideline at least). On the other hand, 15% body fat is perfectly fine and actually well within the "fitness" range for men. Ignore the estimates of how much fat is on your legs, arms, trunk, etc. Part of that is still essential body fat (insulation, protection, etc) and some of where it sits is genetic, but the important thing is that your body NEEDS some fat.

If you want to decrease your bf%, I would say the best way at this point would be to increase lean muscle mass. You can do this through lifting heavier things (as heavy as you can safely complete 8-10 reps for hypertrophy is what I've heard) and eating at a slight surplus. You may want to look into bulking/cutting cycles, as well. You may even be able to get the changes you want while eating at maintenance, but it will be slower. And if you increase your weight through LBM, you'll still be healthier, plus it is easier to sustain than skinny is.

It will also take some time for the extra skin to tighten up. I think that lifting may also help there - not that it will shrink skin faster, but it may fill it out a bit with attractive muscle (as opposed to fat like before).

ETA: I just saw the pictures you posted of your idea. Yes, it's time to start hitting the weights and eating at least at maintenance. You aren't going to get muscles like that with a major deficit, and 10% bf won't make you look like that without putting the time and effort in to building those muscles. Now is the perfect time to start building that muscle :smile:
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great work on the weight loss! Now you get to work on the fun part of carving out the body you desire. People will always be saying you're either too light or too heavy. 167 lbs. at your height is a perfectly healthy BMI. I am 6'1" with a small frame and feel my best at 165 lbs. That is also the weight at which people start saying "don't lose any more weight". My family says I look 'gaunt' at 165, but I start getting a stomach in the 170's even after busting my ar$$ in the gym for years. Most people say I look best in clothes around 180-185 so it's kind of a trade off. I agree with the other advice given above. Focus on lifting weights and gaining some mass to reduce BF% without losing any more scale weight. Good luck!
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    "ugly4" and "ugly5"?

First suggestion I have is stop calling yourself "ugly"!

yes, please!

tears came to my eyes when I saw you had named your files "ugly."

You are not ugly. I am not sure there are actually that many truly "ugly" people in the world anyway, but

YOU are lookin' JUST FINE!

You deserve better than to call yourself that, o.k.? :flowerforyou:
  • bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss, your cut is done, eat a little more than maintenance and lift heavy, fill out the loose skin with muscle.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    To me, ideal would be something along the lines of this (minus the offensive tatoo in the second one of course):
    Both of those actors were on steroids when shooting those films. If you're not planning on doing steroids, then forget having those bodies.

As for your issue at hand:

First, to directly answer your question, 165 lbs at 6'0" is not unhealthy. Whether you continue to lose weight or choose to bulk up is entirely up to your personal fitness goals. There is no right answer except the one that will make you happy with the way you look or feel.

Second, critique time: Congrats on the weight loss, but your body from the sternum up looks like a hungry skeleton. I don't know what your routine was while losing this weight, but it didn't work very well for building or retaining lean body mass (LBM). That is why your family is expressing concern.

You either ate way too little for your body to maintain LBM, or you have an ineffective workout routine. I don't see any deltoid, traps, or pectoral definition that would normally come with someone who is athletic with low body fat (I'm not talking about your juiced out actors, either). Then again, you're not flexing in the pictures so maybe that's it.

Your lean body mass at 139 lbs is below average for your height -- you should be in the 150-160 lb range on LBM alone and can get to 160-170 without having to go crazy with weight training. In order to fix that, you'd have to eat slightly above maintenance and figure out how to make your weight training routine more effective.

From the sternum down, that's just loose skin which will go away with time or surgery. The DEXA scan might be over-estimating your body fat because of this, I'm no expert in how DEXA scans work but if it's counting everything other than muscle as 'fat' then that explains your upper torso -- you could be really down to 10%-ish bodyfat but don't know it.

If I were you I would do a lean bulking routine @ 250-500 cal/day surplus to put back on 10-20 lbs of body mass and monitor bodyfat very closely. I would caution against doing more than that as you might just revert to your pre- weight loss self.
  • indiebreadkid
    indiebreadkid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on your weight loss!

I do not think that you've lost too much weigh or that you look too thin.
    I am also 6'0 and my BMI says that I should roughly weigh between 140-180. I am aiming to weigh around 160 depending on the results I get.

I would try what others have said to tighting up, agree that it might be excess skin.