How far are you willing to go for your pet?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    edit... photo upload not working from phone... will try later.
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning my almost 10 year old cockerspaniel is having surgery to repair a cranial cruciate ligament rupture (for the past week I've had to carry him outside and hold up his hind end so he could use the bathroom). Even with pet insurance, I still have to shell out hundreds of dollars for the deductible. I can't afford it, but found a way to pay for it anyway (I'm picking up extra shifts waiting tables). I'm a student, with an unpredictable income from a series of odd jobs, and I have lots of bills. But my dogs are my babies, I don't believe in euthanasia unless the animal is in pain and clearly suffering without any hope. If there is a chance for them to have a long happy life, even if it means extra work for me.. I'm all for doing whatever is necessary to make it happen.

Love, love, love Cockers..One of my dogs is a cocker too..And good for you taking on extra shifts etc to pay for the operation. Hope tomorrow goes well for him.. X
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    mine is going to be buried with me
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    mine is going to be buried with me

lol please make sure your pet is dead before you do this............you're egyptian yes? lol
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have a cat with diabetes and a dog with recurring tumors that has required many surgeries. I"ve spent a ton on both. To me they're my family and I'll spend all I need to as long as I have it for them. If the time were to come I could no longer afford it, I would try to find them a wonderful home where they'd get the care they needed even though it would break my heart.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My girl, Mischief, has had three surgeries in the last month. I've spent more than $2000 on her for those surgeries and the care and medication surrounding those surgeries. We're not out of the woods yet, but I can't imagine not spending that to fix her up.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    also I was very surprised to find out that most of the people I talked to that have money and I do mean HAVE money, wouldn't really spend much to save/help their pet.

how sad.

Spent about that much on a cat I didn't even like. Wouldn't bat an eyelash doing it for my beloved dogs.

Thank you for being a good dog owner! Wish there were more people in the world like you!
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    Options
    My friend spent $7,500 for surgery on a parrot. That is way too much for a stupid damn bird.
  • ajmaupin
    Options
    There are several factors that some into play such as age, quality of life, and cost. $5,000 is so out of reach I could not imagine spending that much on one animal and I love my dog.

That being said, a few years ago, my childhood dog (basset hound) started having seizures and bleeding. Turned out she had cancer and it would be $2000 for the surgery and follow-up. As she was a healthy dog at the ripe ol' age of 12, very active, and had never had any other issues the surgery was recommended as it would extend her life by 2 years. My husband thought it was crazy but I saw it as $2000 to have 2 more years with her. She actually lasted 3 1/2 and died at 15 1/2 years when I had to put her down as her quality of life was so bad due to her old age (basset hounds only live 12-13 years) and had trouble walking, balancing, even using the bathroom.

I don't regret it. She had a happy 3 years cancer-free.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My girl, Mischief, has had three surgeries in the last month. I've spent more than $2000 on her for those surgeries and the care and medication surrounding those surgeries. We're not out of the woods yet, but I can't imagine not spending that to fix her up.

I'll also say that besides the $$$s, I haven't slept in my own bed since the accident. I've slept on the floor next to her because she can't be in the bed right now (her wound is draining and it would be too messy), and she requires constant supervision to keep from tearing her stitches out. I've also taken time off work, had a dog sitter stay with her when I went back to work, and basically isolated myself from multiple social functions for the past month so that I can take care of this dog.

ETA: as for circumstances: this is an otherwise healthy 5 y.o. dog who suffered physical trauma from an accident.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There are some things you obviously can't plan for. Just like humans have accidents or develop catastrophic illnesses that cost ungodly amounts of money to treat, the same thing happens to pets.

But in general, I don't think people put enough thought into this question BEFORE they get a pet. They don't think about how big of a pain in the *kitten* it is to house-break a puppy. They don't think about how expensive quality pet food can be, especially for large dogs or households with multiple pets. They don't think about the regular vet bills for young, healthy pets, let alone the vastly more expensive and more emotionally taxing experience of taking care of an aging pet.

And it really makes me want to punch people who act like this is all a big shock and just give their pets away because they didn't think about or plan for these things before they brought said pet into their home.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My dog is 11 years old now, he has a heart condition. I am paying about $70 a month on pills for him, it's been about a year since he had to start taking them, so I guess I have spent $840 on him so far.. plus all the tests in the beginning would put that well over $1k, might not sound like TO much, but for someone living paycheck to paycheck and in debt with the hospital for like $8k it's a lot and it adds up, but I love him. He's been here for me always since he was a puppy and there is nothing I wouldn't do for him if I can find a way.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    no limit as long as they're not suffering.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I would take out a second mortgage if need be. People would never put down their kid... my dog is my kid. People argue that it isn't the same... except that it is. No actually it isn't, dogs are better than kids.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'd put it down. Not spending $5,000 on a pet.

This. Some people got to the extreme for animals. If you can afford it then go for it but some people are just nutty.

My high school teacher had a pet pig, it got cancer, they spent tens of thousands of dollars treating it and it did not survive. They were bankrupt, she had a mental breakdown, was relived from school after scaring us several times with her behavior...Maybe she was just a crazy person or maybe letting it go with dignity would have been an easier end.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would in a heart beat if it ment mine could make a full recovery

Paid for xrays and medication for mine and found out she has something wrong with her hips, if I didnt pay for it I wouldnt have found out and could have caused my pup more trauma and quickly now we no she has to take it easy or arthoritus will kick in alot sooner.

When it comes to it il pay for her medication without batting an eye lid I COULD NOT imagine my life without my dog

I think its fantastic theres alot of people out there that care just as much for theres as I do for mine :)
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would take out a second mortgage if need be. People would never put down their kid... my dog is my kid. People argue that it isn't the same... except that it is. No actually it isn't, dogs are better than kids.

^^^ I love this!! totally agree my dog is apart of my family just as much as everyone else in my eyes
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    My friend spent $7,500 for surgery on a parrot. That is way too much for a stupid damn bird.

Well a couple factors for me here, how old is the parrot? They live a very long time. Also it's a parrot, a lot more personality and therefore usually more emotional attachment than a finch for example. Also did she have the $7500 or most of it to spend, if she had it she can spend it however she wants, people spend that kind of money on a lavish vacation that lasts only 3 weeks, that bird can last 20 years or more.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You might check in your area or state for a vet school...my 1st dog had bad hip problems when it was a pup and I didn't have the money to get it fixed. I found the closest vet school and they did the surgery on the dog for a quarter of what my vet wanted...oh and it was my vet that told me to look into that option....

We have a a vet school at Purdue University and they cost about 5x the local vet offices.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I'd put it down. Not spending $5,000 on a pet.

This. Some people got to the extreme for animals. If you can afford it then go for it but some people are just nutty.

My high school teacher had a pet pig, it got cancer, they spent tens of thousands of dollars treating it and it did not survive. They were bankrupt, she had a mental breakdown, was relived from school after scaring us several times with her behavior...Maybe she was just a crazy person or maybe letting it go with dignity would have been an easier end.

I am gonna say that your example is definitely a rare one........that lady was definitely nutty and most people prob wouldn't do that