I've put on 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks....

Options

Replies

• superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and agree with other's comments. Try a week or two of increasing lean protein and vegetables and reducing the amount of bread/pizza crust (refined carbs) and see what happens.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wanted to remind everyone of two rules as shown below. Discussions are good, attacking is not.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, I think the main issue is you are probably miscounting calories, which is very easy when you do not prepare foods. It's not uncommon for pizza restaurants to not follow the recipe and easily put on extra cheese or sauce for good flavor. I would recommend starting to eat more at home.

I don't blame sodium often because I eat 5000mg a day and still lose 1 lb per week. So i wouldn't stress that. Accuracy of logging is truly the key as you can easily miscalculate and lose your deficit.

Euroboss, I would highly suggest you do some research on interim fasting. It's well known that timing of nutrition and meal frequency have nothing to do with weight loss (such results in the below NIH study). I understand from a psychological perspective that some people require increase meal frequency, but there have been thousand of MFP members that practice IF with great success. Additionally, the hormone Ghrelin can be suppressed when going longer periods without food. This is why the first week of IF is very difficult because you still are used to the timing of meals. But after the first week, you are used to it and can go long periods without food.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

One more note. I will say the OP can make better food choices for satiety reason and increase protein to improve muscle retention (especially if he is strength training) but poor food choices do not prevent weight loss, mismeasuring does. I end each night with a Klondike bar and I hit all my macro and micronutrient goals
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ...so I'm in to see where this goes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And I have no idea why. I've weighed everything, logged everthing. I've been in the 220's for a few months now and now I'm back up to 230. Too much sodium is getting old as an excuse...not going to quit but just getting frustrated. Thanks..
    I wish I had the answer for you because then I might have the answer for me.

If no one has asked, though, have you changed your exercise routine?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Maybe this only applies to me, I used to be 210 and am now 175. I grew up eating fast food, my mom worked didn't cook, we ate tons of bad foods. I never learned anything about nutrition, never learned anything about what my body needed to be healthy or educated myself on what was in the processed foods I ate. I was thin as a teenager and lived off fast food, pepsi and pizza pockets. I went months with out touching a vegetable or drinking a glass of water.

I feel that since we have an obesity epidemic in america most fast food lovers (myself included) have or had a somewhat unhealthy relationship with these foods. They are fast and convenient. So when I am bored at night why not pop into wendys for a frosty, hell its only 99 cents. When I go to jack in the box for example, I am getting fried jalapeno poppers, egg rolls, tacos, ect, these are the things I clearly love. Being fat and having an unhealthy relationships with certain foods like for me soda, its an all or nothing kinda of thing. I ate nothing but fast food and as I got older woke up feeling like crap, lethargic, sick, side pains, UI infections, nothing I went through when I was younger but ate the same foods. When I eat fruits, vegetables, nuts and less crap, I feel better overall, I have more energy.

I also don't feel like fast food portions are big enough for how long I am full. I love taco bell but 2 of my favorite burritos run 800 calories for 2, they aren't even very big and I would easily be hungry within a few hours. Thats to many calories for the size of that food. I love wendyes burgers but I eat 2 and it says 700 calories and I am still hungry. I would rather go home and make a ton of food for 700 calories. Or I go to the taco truck, huge burritos around 800 calories, I cut it in half and eat it throughout the day its so big.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Everyone is just gonna say its water weight blah blah blah

You know what? I gained 15 pounds in 1 week, everyone said it was water weight, yet it took a month to get off just like "normal fat" it wasn't water weight. Some people are full of it.

So you ate 52,500 calories over maintenance that week? Impressive.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses...sorry it took me a bit to come back to respond. To answer a couple questions...stress, yes, work related actually, and unfortunately with a candy jar nearby, my stress turns into a little stress/candy eating, but I then, in turn, do my best to allocate a some for that. If I don't 'stress eat' at work, then I will save the extra calories for either a bigger serving at dinner, or a dish of ice cream after dinner.

No new exercise routines. Only meds is Lipitor which I've been on a while and it never had a negative effect, that I knew of at least.

I'm a daily weigher, more out of curiousity. One Sunday I had a Halloween Party for the kids. Did my best on tracking and kept grazing to a minimum. Had a dip someone made. The day after that party I was up 2 pounds which that I blamed on the sodium content of the foods I ate. I was pretty successful on Weight Watchers before MFP. Never had a 'problem' like this before. I slipped a bit on WW and finally gave up and put some weight back on. I promised myself NEVER go give up on a weight loss plan again and I'm not planning on quitting now.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice!! It IS appreciated!!!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sodium schmodium. You're not counting your calories accurately enough, and your margin for error is too narrow, thus you're in maintenance/gain mode. Cut calories. No, more than that. You'll lose weight if you do that.
  • angraham2
    Options
    Your body should only be burning one fuel at a time. If you have a meal with carbs (no more than 45g) then have less than 5g fat. If your meal is high fat, keep your carbs under 10g. If you want to learn more, be my friend and read my blog! I hope I can help. I am loosing about 2 lbs a week, and eating pretty much what ever I want.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Your body should only be burning one fuel at a time. If you have a meal with carbs (no more than 45g) then have less than 5g fat. If your meal is high fat, keep your carbs under 10g. If you want to learn more, be my friend and read my blog! I hope I can help. I am loosing about 2 lbs a week, and eating pretty much what ever I want.

LOLwut?

On what is this advice based?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to be STARVING all the time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Everything you've said is wrong. Please let no one follow this advice.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This requires JL.

13825177391221848237.GIF
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

images_zps3500389b.jpeg
  • Euroboss
    Euroboss Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OP, I think the main issue is you are probably miscounting calories, which is very easy when you do not prepare foods. It's not uncommon for pizza restaurants to not follow the recipe and easily put on extra cheese or sauce for good flavor. I would recommend starting to eat more at home.

I don't blame sodium often because I eat 5000mg a day and still lose 1 lb per week. So i wouldn't stress that. Accuracy of logging is truly the key as you can easily miscalculate and lose your deficit.

I would suggest the processed food, even if being counted correctly, means a higher calorie count for less volume and long term energy for Ken. 100 grams of macaroni pasta is 371 calories according to Google, while 100 grams of white sugar is 387. So as posters in this thread have said, it's just calories in vs calories out, right? I could just eat 50 grams of sugar with sauce rather than pasta.. it's the same right?

It's not the same. The energy you'll get from the pasta will last a lot longer, which means your next meal can be lighter and you'll be more effective throughout the gap in-between. My suggestion to Ken (and anyone else) is that cake and pizza and whatever else is fine in moderation, but the vast majority of the calories you're consuming daily should be from long-term energy foods and vegetables. You get to eat more of them too, so you get to tuck into a huge plate of veg, tossed in a little olive oil and seasoned (tastes really good) rather than a small portion of something more calorie dense.

You basically suggest the same thing at the end of your post.
    Euroboss, I would highly suggest you do some research on interim fasting. It's well known that timing of nutrition and meal frequency have nothing to do with weight loss (such results in the below NIH study). I understand from a psychological perspective that some people require increase meal frequency, but there have been thousand of MFP members that practice IF with great success. Additionally, the hormone Ghrelin can be suppressed when going longer periods without food. This is why the first week of IF is very difficult because you still are used to the timing of meals. But after the first week, you are used to it and can go long periods without food.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

One more note. I will say the OP can make better food choices for satiety reason and increase protein to improve muscle retention (especially if he is strength training) but poor food choices do not prevent weight loss, mismeasuring does. I end each night with a Klondike bar and I hit all my macro and micronutrient goals

I read that abstract and I've heard of the concept a few times. As I asserted before, I'm not suggesting a correlation physiologically between regular meals and weight loss. No-one that I've been reading tries to do that anymore, it's about developing healthy habits.

Eating regularly means you maintain a blood sugar level that enables you to be more.. relaxed. If you work in a profession where your intellect is required, it's simply not an option to have your brain not working optimally during business hours, which I know for me requires sustenance.

In the study you linked to IF, the subjects are eating:

A period of at least 4 h but not more than 6 h between main meals during the day, i.e. breakfast, lunch and supper, was imposed for both low- and high-MF groups. Supper had to be consumed at least 3 h before bedtime (2 h for snacks in the high-MF group)

So the IF study people are eating breakfast! :)

However, whatever is happening in a controlled study is not real life. Weight loss and health is a long distance race, not a sprint. We need habits and methods that enable us to lead the lives we want, perform mentally and physically at the levels we can be the best we can be. From my experience, which is supported by many others, regular healthy eating (which means starting the day with food) is the best way to do this. If your calorie intake starts off in the morning, peaks with a big lunch to power you through your day and tapers off with a small dinner.. once you've gotten used to this over some time you'll start waking up hungry! It's a great day when you do, believe me.

Maybe you really don't need to do this, but I would suggest you're an outlier then. It's a bit like saying 'some people never had to attend University and went to get PhDs, so not going to Uni is a valid path'. Well I guess it is then, but for the VAST majority of people you just have do it like everyone else does.. entertaining you're an outlier without spending considerable effort confirming it (i.e. eating regularly for a few months or acing Uni exams without every going to class) is just using the alternate method as an excuse not to do the work down the beaten track.

I've only really learned this about my eating having the long vacation I'm currently on to actually focus on this. While I was working full-time no-one could convince me that I needed to eat in the mornings. The difference in my energy and mental clarity now is astonishing - a real 'why didn't I do this before' moment.

Anyways, sorry for the 'diary shaming' or whatever before, everyone. I'm new here and didn't understand that's something we don't do.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Odd advice considering you don't really follow it yourself :noway:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    This may seems silly but, have you changed the battery in your food scale recently? Mine starts acting up a bit before the little battery light pops up so the numbers can be off. Just a thought. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and didn't understand that's something we don't do.

You talk a lot of sense about nutrition, no doubt, BUT the OP asked a weight loss question, not a nutrition question. According to his diary he SHOULD be losing weight - his diary says he has a calorie deficit. So his problem HERE is not nutrition - it's isn't logging inaccurately - that's the place to start, imo.

Sorry about the rocking horse comment, btw. *hangs head in shame*
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're averaging about 1800 calories/day, and are fairly inactive. I'm guessing at your BF% based on pic and weight you gave, and that gives a BMR in the range of 1700-1800 and a TDEE in the range of 2000-2200.

Based on that, at a minimum, it doesn't appear you are running much of a deficit. Even a small miscalculation in your intake and you could actually be in a slight surplus. That would be consistent with topping up your glycogen stores, which comes with water retention. 5 pounds would be in the right ballpark for that.

So, based on the limited information available to us, it looks to me like you're not active enough to support a deficit at your current intake level.