Bulking and BF %

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Is the 5-6 days/week an upper/lower split? Are they compounds? Can you give me a week's worth of workouts? You might not be getting proper rest, which your muscles need for repair (read: growth) depending on the program you're following.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    No offense but why are you so afraid of gaining some bodyfat? You know how to get rid of it so whats the big deal? It's really a no brainer...eat big, lift big, get big...so what if you get some fat who cares...you know how to get rid of it so just BULK...
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Is the 5-6 days/week an upper/lower split? Are they compounds? Can you give me a week's worth of workouts? You might not be getting proper rest, which your muscles need for repair (read: growth) depending on the program you're following.

Day 1 Legz : squats, leg presses or whatever you call them, leg curls, calf rises.
    Day 2 Chet's bench press, dumbbell press, inclines dbp, dumbbell flies, push ups
    Day 3 back pull ups, dead lifts, lat pull downs , rows
    Day 4 chest triceps
    Day 5 shoulders biceps
    Day 6 mix , abs and cardio
  • minuz5
    Options
    No offense but why are you so afraid of gaining some bodyfat? You know how to get rid of it so whats the big deal? It's really a no brainer...eat big, lift big, get big...so what if you get some fat who cares...you know how to get rid of it so just BULK...

Cuz I like seeing my 8pack every day in the morning :D is it fair reason?
  • TriLifter
    Options

Day 1 Legz : squats, leg presses or whatever you call them, leg curls, calf rises.
    Day 2 Chet's bench press, dumbbell press, inclines dbp, dumbbell flies, push ups
    Day 4 chest triceps
    Day 5 shoulders biceps

Are you lifting progressively heavier, or have you stalled on weights?
  • minuz5
    Options

Day 4 chest triceps
    Day 5 shoulders biceps

Are you lifting progressively heavier, or have you stalled on weights?

Heavier ;)
  • Amadbro
    Options

Cuz I like seeing my 8pack every day in the morning :D is it fair reason?

Not really considering you can't bulk without gaining fat. It's scientifically impossible. You can MINIMIZE fat gain by bulking slower and selecting a cleaner menu but thats it. So no..it really isn't fair reason. You need to decide if you want to recomp, maintain or bulk. If you decide to bulk then be prepared. You will have fat gain. If you don't then i will come visit you at the X-MEN academy and we can hang out.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    If you're gaining strength (ie. lifting heavier), resting each body part, and getting adequate protein...then there's not way you're not gaining muscle on this bulk. I agree that you're eating too many calories over all, but there has to be SOME muscle gain. I'm sure whatever you're using to measure body fat % is inaccurate.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison purposes, I am 5'11", and when I started my bulk, I weighed 175 lbs. My TDEE is around 2,500 calories. I am adding roughly 250 cal. a week, so I am doing 2,750 total, which puts me at a 1/2 pound a week. I don't track my food alot, but I have gained about 5 lbs since September, so that lines up fairly close to where I should be. I don't put on muscle quickly, so I think this has been a pretty good rate for me, I don't think eating more would help much. I can tell I've put on a little fat, haven't measured I can just tell in my waist, but my strength numbers have gone up, so I'm happy with my progress.

I don't think I'm qualified enough to comment on anything you are doing. My point is to just keep track of your numbers and see if you are making progress like you think you should. But I will +1 the comments that I think your calorie numbers seem a bit high.
  • minuz5
    Options
    If you're gaining strength (ie. lifting heavier), resting each body part, and getting adequate protein...then there's not way you're not gaining muscle on this bulk. I agree that you're eating too many calories over all, but there has to be SOME muscle gain. I'm sure whatever you're using to measure body fat % is inaccurate.

Well I really hope my scales lie. :D
  • minuz5
    Options
    Just for comparison purposes, I am 5'11", and when I started my bulk, I weighed 175 lbs. My TDEE is around 2,500 calories. I am adding roughly 250 cal. a week, so I am doing 2,750 total, which puts me at a 1/2 pound a week. I don't track my food alot, but I have gained about 5 lbs since September, so that lines up fairly close to where I should be. I don't put on muscle quickly, so I think this has been a pretty good rate for me, I don't think eating more would help much. I can tell I've put on a little fat, haven't measured I can just tell in my waist, but my strength numbers have gone up, so I'm happy with my progress.

I don't think I'm qualified enough to comment on anything you are doing. My point is to just keep track of your numbers and see if you are making progress like you think you should. But I will +1 the comments that I think your calorie numbers seem a bit high.
    do you also add extra cal from workouts?
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    If you are using a digital scale with built in BF% tracker, then it is inaccurate.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how much scale weight have you gained on your bulk while adding 4% body fat? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable BF gain. The last bulk I did I put on approx. 3-4% body fat with a 15 lb total weight gain.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how much scale weight have you gained on your bulk while adding 4% body fat? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable BF gain. The last bulk I did I put on approx. 3-4% body fat with a 15 lb total weight gain.

He indicated he's gained 4-5 lbs, and increased over 4% body fat. Which would be a pure fat gain while losing lean mass at his stated 188 lb weight.

But he's using a BIA scale to determine bodyfat, so basically you can toss all the bodyfat % info in this thread. He's gained 4-5 lbs on his bulk so far. Probably doing fine.
  • Amadbro
    Options
    If you are using a digital scale with built in BF% tracker, then it is inaccurate.

These things are so inaccurate I don't know why people by them..
  • TriLifter
    Options

I have one and it used to make me cry, now it makes me laugh. Apparently I went from 17% body fat to 20% body fat while eating at maintenence and lifting heavy. (I use a fitbit to track my calorie output so I am relatively certain about that number).
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yeah....your BF% measurements are way off. Either your starting or your current. Like someone already said....with the stats you gave, it's impossible.
    You gained 4-5lbs. Stop freaking out about the fat increase. Either commit to a bulk or don't.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    do you also add extra cal from workouts?

No, I don't. I recalculated my calorie number before I started and added in a moderate level of activity, which bumped it up a little. Now that cycling season is done, aside from lifting all I do is maybe run once a week, so no real reason to mess with that.
  • minuz5
    Options

I used the digital scales and I can also pinch a good 15-20mm of fat on lower abs, doing some calculations that would also come up with similar bf %...
  • Amadbro
    Options

I have one and it used to make me cry, now it makes me laugh. Apparently I went from 17% body fat to 20% body fat while eating at maintenence and lifting heavy. (I use a fitbit to track my calorie output so I am relatively certain about that number).

fitbits are nice..i use a bodybugg to determine my tdee..was awesome for starting my bulk