New and in Menopause - Need Support

Options
Hey everyone, I am new to this board and to myfitnesspal. I have been on Jenny Craig, tried Weight Watchers and for whatever reason I can lose the weight but I resist having to try to change my diet. I always go back to the comfort foods and with being in the menopause stage of life it's extremely difficult to have the weight budge. I've been staying on track for the most part but I notice that when I start to do well I sabotage all of my efforts. It's like I'm afraid to feel good about myself anymore. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:smile:

Replies

• nrobenolt
    nrobenolt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck.........we are all on the same journey in a sense! If you need a support person you can add me! :smile:
  • Mrslaurieb
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • dccalv2
    dccalv2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am very similar to you - not quite to menopause but close (46 years old). I would love to lose between 30-50 pounds. I am trying to avoid going back to WW because I don't want to spend the money. I would love an accounatibility partner. Please feel free to add me. :)
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am 56, and I think I'm either at the beginning, of this trip, or on my way through the first leg..... I have tried WW different times, but can never seem to stick to plan. So, feel free to add me as well.... Kat :)
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It is harder to take the weight off as your estrogen production slows down, but it certainly can be done.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/menopause-weight-gain-and-exercise-tips

Feel free to add me if you are looking for more perimenopausal female buddies. I am 51, and started this journey a couple of years ago (both journeys, actually). Hang in there - you can do it!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm in that 'fun' perimenopause stage - it IS harder to take off the lbs - but I just reached my 'goal' weight last week - it CAN be done!

I didn't have a lot to lose - about 20 lbs..........and I literally work my butt off everyday - an hour of exercise 6 days a week; weights twice a week; but that's the easy part for me - exercise is my therapy.

The hard part for me was managing my snacking........so far, so good.......!

You can do it!

Feel free to 'friend' me!
  • bethannbest
    Options
    I don't think I am quite manopausual although my children disagree. I have been on this journey for two months and I love the encouragement and support from my mfp friends. If you feel as though this would help you too, friend me. One can never have too much support. Good Luck and remember you are worthy of all the things that your creator has instore for you. Tell your head to shut up and except the sucesses.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am menapausal and have lost over 40lbs since last January...so far maintaing well since September (though my goal is to lise another 10 lbs. It is certainly doable...good luck on your journey...friend me if you wish :-):smile:
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I started 4 and half years ago when I was perimenopausal and I am now post. In the middle of that, I also had a partial hysterectomy. I have 3 more pounds to get to my third goal. I started with 144, then 135 and now 130. I haven't been this slim since my twenties and I count my calories every day since I have no intention of putting the weight back on. This is a lifetime change for my eating habits. I can never go back to the amount and way I ate before because it will all come back. Do I deprive myself? Yes, some of the time (no butter on my bread, no juice) and some of the time, I just go ahead and have what I want. I just don't eat the quantity I used to. And some days I go over but I make up for it in the days that follow. The days I go over are rare and I don't allow myself a cheat day. I only drink water or green tea although you will see I had London Fog yesterday but it counted it in my calories and still ended up under for the day.

Just be patient, count those calories, move more, and know that you will have to do this for the rest of your life. If you accept that, you will be successful. Good luck!
  • drizzlesugar
    Options
    Hello,

I am 52 and also in menopause. My gynecologist told me that it is difficult for women my age to lose weight.
    However, with myfitnesspal and a change in diet and exercise I have proven her wrong. I have lost 16 lbs so far.
    I changed to a vegan diet, primarily for my health and elevated cholesterol levels. I feel fuller and not hungry very often because I eat fruit, veggies, beans, legumes, nuts, tofu and have a higher fiber diet that I had previously. I also have committed to exercising 6 days a week, and commit to whatever I can each day. My fitnesspal is such a great tool, because whatever diet or exercise routine you choose , you always have a running total of how many calories you burn and how much you can eat each day. I also have a few supportive myfitnesspals who are great and we have consistently encouraged each other.
    Don't be discouraged! You can do this ! I have tried so many other diets and nothing has worked until I found myfitnesspal.
    So I am a believer. Good luck to you on taking steps to improve your health. You can add me as a fitness pal if you so choose.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and have been in menopause for 6 years--hot flashes and all. It just goes on and on. I read a great book a couple of years ago--"Younger next year". I recomend it highly. It fits in well with the MFP philosophy--excercise +diet. It changed my outlook and got me motivated. I learned that you have to move and do more as you get older, not less.
  • vsnc50
    vsnc50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP too. I am struggling with the pre-monopause issues. My Dr suggested B Complex and diet and exercise. I hope to drop some weight, get in better shape and start to feel better. Please feel free to add me as a friend!