Thoughts on Xylitol?

Options
I just picked up some Xylitol from the health food store and I really enjoy the taste (unlike Stevia) but I've heard mixed reviews on it. The lady at the health food store said it was natural and derived from birch wood, is low on the glycemic index, low in calories and is also good for your teeth. Is it too good to be true?

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of it being an ingredient in sugar free gums.

It's a life-threatening toxin to dogs if ingested, so be careful if you have any four legged friends in the house.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't agree with buying sugar substitutes. They all claim to be "natural", but there are no laws governing the use of that word. I think they are unnecessary chemicals and people would be better off using real sugar (brown or white) and honey whenever possible.

That's just my opinion though :smile:
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love xylitol. It has great benefits for dental health. That's the reason I use it.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of Xylitol and most Stevias don't work for me either because of the bitterness. Finally found "Wholesome Sweetner Organic Stevia" in a packet. It's the only one I've found that really tastes good and doesn't trigger any kind of sugar craving, and the packet makes it convenient to pop a bunch in my purse and carry around.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Tread lightly...And keep an extra pair of underpants just in case
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It has a weird "cooling" sensation when you eat it, not a fan ...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I had to use it when I was on a diet for medical reasons. If you can't use sugar, use xylitol. But... I also don't use it unless I have a medical reason to.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Love it in my coffee and rolling my shortbread cookies in it before cooking them.