Lifting/exercise routing advice please.

Options
2»

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be all buff and muscly looking. I want to look like a woman, but a fit athletic strong woman who can back the look up. I can't stand sitting idle and I love sports.

The funny thing is that you are trying to train like an advanced body builder by doing a body part split even though you apparently don't think they look like women.

If you want functional strength and are new to lifting, beginner programs like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are a better fit than programs focusing on one muscle group per day (which are designed for growing as much muscle as possible, generally).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be all buff and muscly looking. I want to look like a woman, but a fit athletic strong woman who can back the look up. I can't stand sitting idle and I love sports.

The funny thing is that you are trying to train like an advanced body builder by doing a body part split even though you apparently don't think they look like women.

If you want functional strength and are new to lifting, beginner programs like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are a better fit than programs focusing on one muscle group per day (which are designed for growing as much muscle as possible, generally).

That's why I asked the question. I don't really know how to get what i want when it comes to the gym. I've been trying to get away from isolation, as I have heard that before.. but it's hard when it's what you learned to do initially. There are 3 women at my gym who are so big they don't look like women. I'm not talking women who have muscles. I mean these women look like men from behind and are all bulked up. Muscles are great, just not that much.

I don't know what a body part split is, but i'm assuming it's along the lines of what I posted I am doing in my initial post?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Sounds like you are all set with calories. According to your ticker, it seems to be working well for you !

Long time coming..that loss.. almost a year's worth of effort. I'm less concerned about weight.. although I'd like to get the last 10 or so off.. and more concerned about health and strength. If I stay this weight and just get smaller.. that's fine.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Holy ****... that is SO much more than you need to do.

Google Stronglifts 5x5, and start that program. Your lifting program needs to be focused on the big, basic 4 lifts:

Bench press
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Overhead press

You also need something for your back and arms, so either Rows (already part of Stronglifts 5x5) or Pullups/Chinups.

You will loose the fat by lifting weight just the same as you will doing cardio, 0% difference. If you want to keep doing cardio that's fine, just keep in mind that really intense cardio on your rest days can interfere with your recovery from your lifting days.

About BMI, I am also obese... look at my photo, that's bull****. Focus on your health, your strength, and what you see in the mirror.

Keep it simple, and focused on strength. Your body will adapt in all the ways you want it to, and eat at a deficit to loose the fat. Also, eat back your calories burned... if you're lifting seriously, you're going to need that energy for your workouts.

That's IT. You do not need more to get the kind of body you want.

This TOTALLY!!! Dude...dot kill yourself. Strong Lifts combined with a little cardio and some yoga is MUCH easier and gives you a rocking body :-)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

That's why I asked the question. I don't really know how to get what i want when it comes to the gym. I've been trying to get away from isolation, as I have heard that before.. but it's hard when it's what you learned to do initially. There are 3 women at my gym who are so big they don't look like women. I'm not talking women who have muscles. I mean these women look like men from behind and are all bulked up. Muscles are great, just not that much.

I don't know what a body part split is, but i'm assuming it's along the lines of what I posted I am doing in my initial post?

And the thing to keep in mind is that the women in your gym who look like that, didn't get that way overnight. They got that way by training very hard, for a very long time, eating a crapton of food, and (possibly) using chemistry. It is very, very hard for /men/ to get hugely muscled up like that, and women have an ever harder time growing muscle than men do. You aren't going to start Stronglifts or Starting Strength and then wake up looking like the Hulk, if you feel you are starting to get too muscular, (which won't happen, but just for the sake of argument) you can just... stop.

Body part splits are when you focus on a certain area of the body ("arms" day, "chest" day, etc) vs a program that emphasizes compound lifts. Splits are what body builders do because they're better at building big muscles (<- yes I know I'm generalizing here) but not better for overall strength.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

And the thing to keep in mind is that the women in your gym who look like that, didn't get that way overnight. They got that way by training very hard, for a very long time, eating a crapton of food, and (possibly) using chemistry. It is very, very hard for /men/ to get hugely muscled up like that, and women have an ever harder time growing muscle than men do. You aren't going to start Stronglifts or Starting Strength and then wake up looking like the Hulk, if you feel you are starting to get too muscular, (which won't happen, but just for the sake of argument) you can just... stop.

Body part splits are when you focus on a certain area of the body ("arms" day, "chest" day, etc) vs a program that emphasizes compound lifts. Splits are what body builders do because they're better at building big muscles (<- yes I know I'm generalizing here) but not better for overall strength.

OK, so body part splits are basically what I was doing. I didn't think it would be that easy to bulk up like that, but again what do I know about exercise? Ok i'm going to look at those again tonight, pick one and start with it this week. I'm not a wait for Monday kind of girl.

I'm excited to change everything up :~p