Friends and support needed

Options
I need to lost a lot of weight...prob about 80 lbs at least. My husband is trying to lose weight also - 100-150 lbs. We have been support for eachother, but I'm struggling. In 3 weeks between cutting portion sizes and eating healthier foods and working out everyday - he's doing Power 90 - he lost 25lbs.....Great! Good for him....I did the same thing he did - I cut my portions, worked out and lost about 5. Not that losing 5 lbs is bad, but I just get frustrated when I feel like I'm doing everything right and still can't drop the weight as fast as he can. Granted he has more to lose and his previous lifestyle was more sedentary and unhealthy, but I want to drop it faster.

I know it takes time to come off but I need some support and friendship from people who are losing at a normal pace.
I'm 35 and a stay at home mom to 3 kids ages 7, 4, and 2. I am involved in music and drama, pto etc. I'm looking for support and motivation buddies to keep me going. Feel free to add me as a friend. thanks

Replies

• GottaLoseIt13
    GottaLoseIt13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I know all about wanting to lose weight fast. I've lost 12lbs over the past two months and personally, I feel it should have been twice that amount. However, I also know all too well about losing weight too fast and then adding it all back on and then some.

From what people have told me, I'm losing weight at a good pace. Watching my calories and exercising when I can. I'm a stay at home mom to a soon to be 3 year old..so most of my energy is spent on her...lol

Remember also, that metabolisms work differently in men and women. My fiance had been out of work for awhile and started working in May of this year. He weighed about 300lbs when he started working 3rd shift.. He now weighs around 240-245. I find myself at times getting jealous of his large weight loss...but at the same time, I also realize that he is working throughout the night, doing physical labor for 8 hours, coming home in the morning to sleep and not eating as much as he use to. (I worry at times he doesn't eat enough..)

I wish you much luck on your new journey. It may take some time...but you'll get there! Don't let little numbers discourage you...always look forward to the bigger number... I set a goal to lose 100lbs. I've lost 12lb so far. I've still got a long way to go, but I know I'll get there...

Feel free to add me if you would like/need some encouragement!
  • xbadacid
    Options
    My wife and I go through this when we start our exercise regiments. Please don't compare yourself to your husband. Men, in general, have more muscle mass and this means more calorie burning.

Note - Not a doctor or nutrionist. My wife and I have been working with a nutrionist/personal trainer and this is his explanation.
    For example, I am 308 lbs w/ 210 lbs of lean muscle. My wife is 210lbs and has 108lbs of lean muscle. I have almost double the amount of muscle helping to burn calories during the same exercises.

Watch any of the weight loss shows and you will see men consistantly losing more weight then women; this isn't because the women aren't working as hard as the men.

Just keep going, celebrate the losses for both you and your husband. Every ounce lost is a step in the direction you want to go.
  • MARTIC0058
    MARTIC0058 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! good for you to chose to be healthy! you should not compare yourself to your husband men always lose weight faster! it sucks but that is how it is. I would love to help and motivate you and help you dig deep! I have a secret group on fb if you would be interested. Everyone on the team has the same goals as you and can help hold you accountable. I personally have lost about 60lbs is the past few years and currently doing T25 program. Shoot me a message if your interested in joining my team.

Thanks and Best Wishes on your journey

Casey
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know it can seem annoying to lose weight slowly but on the plus side a slower weightloss often reduces the risk of sagging skin. If you have a lot of weight to lose then faster isn't always better.
  • kessiaadams
    Options
    I am in the same boat. This is my first day, and it has taken a lot for me to come to terms with this!! My husband is 6'4" and has a very stressful job managing a bank. It seems he has a rough week, and loses five lbs. just skipping a meal. I am not sure he has ever reached 200lbs. With this said, I am a full time student, and I work in a tavern/grill and I am home all day with the kitchen all to myself 5 days, and have free and available deep fried food at my fingertips 2-3 nights a week. This is going to be tough but I need to take care of the only body I will have. I am on your side!!!! Stay strong and work hard!! I am right beside you!!! :smile:
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    SarahMarie - I have some good news for you. :)

You are losing at a rate of an average of 1.66 lbs per week! For a female? That is AMAZING.

I lost almost 70 lbs at an almost perfect rate of 1.5 lbs per week. Took me almost exactly one year (three weeks shy, to be precise). I have kept it off now for almost a year. I am convinced that if I did it too fast I would not have kept off the weight.

Why? Because two of the biggest problems we overeaters have are Impatience and Denial. We are so used to eating whatever we want in whatever portion we want whenever we want, in order to deny and stuff down our uncomfortable or painful feelings. In order to lose weight and become healthy in mind and body, a person must eschew both of those character flaws. One must be patient with the process (it takes T-I-M-E to do anything of significance in this life), one must be patient with oneself, and one must face the reality that its going to be uncomfortable at times while you do this hard work.

The reality of being uncomfortable, of having to face our negative feelings, of having to face ourselves and our previous bad behavior/habits makes us squirm, doesn't it? It makes us nuts. "How LONG is this going to take?!" we think. "Why won't this go faster?!" we think. "Am I a failure already?!" we think. "I can't take this anymore!" we think.

And yet the Truth remains: until we grow up, until we grow out of these immature parts of ourselves (can you think of which age group tends to be impatient the most? Yep. Kids.) then we won't have long-term success. We'll just be putting a band-aid on our fat. Eventually, those squirmy, impatient, whining, demanding parts of ourselves will "win out" and we'll binge, crash, give in, gain again.... IMHO, weight-loss has very little to do with the actual fat and has EVERYTHING to do with developing good character and emotional maturity. Let THIS be your focus: growing up. Becoming a better person. Getting rid of terrible habits and emotional crutches - permanently. Once you do...you'll find the ability to wait for that final, successful weigh-in without squirming. It'll become more of a pleasure than a chore. Trust me - it can happen!