Maintaining (more or less) while pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you've had 4 what is your typical gain?

There really hasn't been a typical for me. I had twins the first time. I started slightly underweight at around 95 lbs. I spent from 23wks to 34 in the hospital on medication for contraction, a constant I.V, strict bed rest and had to do steroid injections. I weighed 189 the day I was released and delivered my twins the next day. My 2nd pregnancy I started at 116lb and got up to 168. I lost most of it and dropped down to about 125 and stayed there for several years until I started putting on weight around age 26. My last pregnancy I started around 170lbs and weighed 189 the day I gave birth. I dropped to 168 within 11 days but put 7lbs back on in about 2 weeks and it's stayed there.

Might be difficult, but you did say that your OB only wants you to gain 10lbs. I know you dont have it, but look into the diet for Gestational Diabetes. Not so much the carbohydrate control, but the portion control you need to follow. Wont hurt to avoid any caloric drink either like juice or soda (besides milk). It might help slow the gain. And if your doctor wants you to be in such a strict weight gain then I think he/she should give your a referral to see a dietitian.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    I wish there was a like button for people's responses. Thanks for the encouragement ladies.
  • brandiewininger
    Options

There really hasn't been a typical for me. I had twins the first time. I started slightly underweight at around 95 lbs. I spent from 23wks to 34 in the hospital on medication for contraction, a constant I.V, strict bed rest and had to do steroid injections. I weighed 189 the day I was released and delivered my twins the next day. My 2nd pregnancy I started at 116lb and got up to 168. I lost most of it and dropped down to about 125 and stayed there for several years until I started putting on weight around age 26. My last pregnancy I started around 170lbs and weighed 189 the day I gave birth. I dropped to 168 within 11 days but put 7lbs back on in about 2 weeks and it's stayed there.

Might be difficult, but you did say that your OB only wants you to gain 10lbs. I know you dont have it, but look into the diet for Gestational Diabetes. Not so much the carbohydrate control, but the portion control you need to follow. Wont hurt to avoid any caloric drink either like juice or soda (besides milk). It might help slow the gain. And if your doctor wants you to be in such a strict weight gain then I think he/she should give your a referral to see a dietitian.

Actually, I seen an RD last pregnancy and still have my information for the GD diet as I had it last time. I've only put on 2lbs so far and I will be 15wk tomorrow. My last pregnancy I didn't gain anything in the last trimester. Most of my gain last time was 2nd trimester. She put in a referral this time because I'm still nursing my 15 month old but I've not heard from the RD. I'm seen at a clinic on a military post so sometimes things take a while.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Actually, I seen an RD last pregnancy and still have my information for the GD diet as I had it last time. I've only put on 2lbs so far and I will be 15wk tomorrow. My last pregnancy I didn't gain anything in the last trimester. Most of my gain last time was 2nd trimester. She put in a referral this time because I'm still nursing my 15 month old but I've not heard from the RD. I'm seen at a clinic on a military post so sometimes things take a while.

My gain seems to have all been 2nd trimester too. Besides now, although not officially diagnosed, I think I have GD and I've got damn sugar brain. One soda and it'll set me off on a sugar binge. I've gained 20 so far hoping to hold here.

Oh good, well hopefully you can get in to see her soon. In the mean time, I would think it wouldnt hurt to follow and just make sure youre getting adequate calcium, fluid, and protein to support the growing baby, your nursing baby, and yourself.

Wow, your body has got to do a pretty big job between the 3 of you!
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you is to set your calories at maintenance and to try to be as active as possible. There are many prenatal exercise DVDs and workouts that you can do. If you are interested in a good prenatal circuit training DVD i highly recommend ''Body by Trimester''' by Joy southworth. There are many types of exercise you can do, find what works for you. Wishing u a happy healthy pregnancy.
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only gained 8 lbs my whole last pregnancy, which was fine with my Dr. They told me that if you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins, the baby takes what he/she needs. I also walked a LOT - up to 4 miles at a time, 3-5 days per week until the day before I went in to give birth. Exercise really does help - you feel better and you sleep better!
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    My suggestion to you is to set your calories at maintenance and to try to be as active as possible. There are many prenatal exercise DVDs and workouts that you can do. If you are interested in a good prenatal circuit training DVD i highly recommend ''Body by Trimester''' by Joy southworth. There are many types of exercise you can do, find what works for you. Wishing u a happy healthy pregnancy.

Thanks for the video recommendation! I'll hit up the post library and see what they have in the way of DVD's as well. I walked quite a bit last pregnancy but since my other 3 were older it was a bit easier to get to the gym to walk in inclement weather. I live in Colorado and the winter time can be quite unpleasant for walking sometimes so an exercise video would be great. I currently have it set to maintenance and it says that would put me at eating a little over 1800 cals a day which gives me lots of room.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    I only gained 8 lbs my whole last pregnancy, which was fine with my Dr. They told me that if you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins, the baby takes what he/she needs. I also walked a LOT - up to 4 miles at a time, 3-5 days per week until the day before I went in to give birth. Exercise really does help - you feel better and you sleep better!

I walked a lot last time but I'm a bit more limited this time around with a toddler and the CO winter upon us. I think I'll take a previous poster's suggestion about a prenatal workout DVD. May I ask if you were overweight when you got pregnant or were you within a "healthy" range?
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Thanks for the video recommendation! I'll hit up the post library and see what they have in the way of DVD's as well. I walked quite a bit last pregnancy but since my other 3 were older it was a bit easier to get to the gym to walk in inclement weather. I live in Colorado and the winter time can be quite unpleasant for walking sometimes so an exercise video would be great. I currently have it set to maintenance and it says that would put me at eating a little over 1800 cals a day which gives me lots of room.

you're welcome! as a busy mom of 2 toddlers and a full time student i only have about 30 minutes to spare for a workout. I also walk a lot with my kids in the double stroller since i dont own a car. I can give u a link to the DVD on amazon. If u dont want to spend money, lindsay brin from momsintofitness.com has a few workout videos on youtube. And here is one from heidi powell (chris powell from TV show Extreme Weight loss, wife)
    http://heidipowell.net/4276/pregnancy-workout-the-nasty-9s/

here is the link to the DVD i recommended
    http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Fitness-Dvd-Trimester-February/dp/B0079QDAFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383704120&sr=8-1&keywords=body+by+trimester
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    With my last pregnancy I only gained 7lbs and my doctor was fine with it, my daughter was born perfectly fine. I went to a nutritionist who mapped out a meal plan for me to follow during the pregnancy and I still follow it minus a few hundred calories. I left the hospital 20lbs lighter than when I first got pregnant. You can ask your doctor to a referral for a nutritionist it helped me a lot. During my 1st pregnancy I never gained a pound and left the hospital 11lbs lighter than when I first got pregnant with him and he is a healthy kid. He is 10 now and is 5'3 he didn't lack anything.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is direct advisement from my obstetrician. At almost 32% BMI my baby's health will not suffer. Your body will always take for baby and deplete your stores for your own use.

That's great you are getting advice from your obstetrician. They will know how important it is to gain enough (more importantly, get enough nutrition) to maintain a healthy pregnancy. Inadequate weight gain puts babies at risk. (Sorry, I teach prenatal development.)

The reason you are hungry is that normally women are going to gain around 7 pounds for the baby, 2 pounds for the placenta, 5 pounds for breast growth, and another 10 for extra fat and fluids, etc. etc.. Because you are going to gain less, you are metabolizing your stored fat and using it to build all those things (baby, placenta, breast tissues, etc.) So you are at a serious deficit.

To keep at it, it's going to be hard. You will need to REALLY watch your nutrients. It is NOT true that your body gives to the baby first. It gives CALCIUM to the baby first. Everything else goes to you first. That's why those prenatal vitamins will be really important, as will your nutrition choices. Make every bite count.

I would also use all the tricks we all use to stay full at deficit. Eat soup with lunch and dinner to feel full with few calories. Make sure you have protein (boiled eggs, lean meats, peanut butter). I put bowls of munchies on the table so that I have something to put in my mouth after I've finished eating so I don't take seconds - radishes, carrots, celery, cashews.

SNACK on low calorie stuff too. Don't let your blood sugar drop.

You've got other little ones around so you may hit low blood sugar spots. I sure did when I was pregnant. A couple of jelly beans or a fig or two or a pear kept me from blowing my stack.

Good luck and stay healthy.
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    This is direct advisement from my obstetrician. At almost 32% BMI my baby's health will not suffer. Your body will always take for baby and deplete your stores for your own use.

That's great you are getting advice from your obstetrician. They will know how important it is to gain enough (more importantly, get enough nutrition) to maintain a healthy pregnancy. Inadequate weight gain puts babies at risk. (Sorry, I teach prenatal development.)

The reason you are hungry is that normally women are going to gain around 7 pounds for the baby, 2 pounds for the placenta, 5 pounds for breast growth, and another 10 for extra fat and fluids, etc. etc.. Because you are going to gain less, you are metabolizing your stored fat and using it to build all those things (baby, placenta, breast tissues, etc.) So you are at a serious deficit.

To keep at it, it's going to be hard. You will need to REALLY watch your nutrients. It is NOT true that your body gives to the baby first. It gives CALCIUM to the baby first. Everything else goes to you first. That's why those prenatal vitamins will be really important, as will your nutrition choices. Make every bite count.

I would also use all the tricks we all use to stay full at deficit. Eat soup with lunch and dinner to feel full with few calories. Make sure you have protein (boiled eggs, lean meats, peanut butter). I put bowls of munchies on the table so that I have something to put in my mouth after I've finished eating so I don't take seconds - radishes, carrots, celery, cashews.

SNACK on low calorie stuff too. Don't let your blood sugar drop.

You've got other little ones around so you may hit low blood sugar spots. I sure did when I was pregnant. A couple of jelly beans or a fig or two or a pear kept me from blowing my stack.

Good luck and stay healthy.

The only time I was experiencing hunger was the first 10 weeks or so when my 15 month old was still nursing 6-8 times a day. Now that she is down to 3 times I don't have insatiable hunger anymore. As far as the comment I made about baby getting what it needs first, that was told to me by both my RD and OB last pregnancy. I do take my prenatal and eat decently but could always do better. I posted because the idea of only gaining 10lbs is intimidating. I gained nearly 20 last time while following a diet for my GD. Thanks for the tips on snack ideas. I do pretty good with choosing good snacks but like carbs a bit more than what I should.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    About 24 lbs is the MINIMUM you should gain when you are pregnant, because this is the approximate weight of the baby, the amniotic fluid, placenta, etc. Certainly a few more pounds than this is better than a few less pounds - you don't want to go under this number, for sure. Also, my doctor told me that the mothers eating the most protein were the ones who always had the easiest births.

Basically when you are pregnant you are going to have to accept weight gain. All these calculations of BMR and TDEE are approximate and are not 100 accurate for everyone's metabolism and body, so when a baby is involved, you have to veer on the side of caution and eat a little bit more than any calorie recommendation anyone gives you. Weight will come off later, but any problems a baby might have by being underweight, that could last forever.

Also, as I am sure you know, there are certain exercises pregnant ladies must not do, so double check with trainers and doctors to find out which muscle groups and activity levels are a no-go (this of course changes as the pregnancy progresses).
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My doc recommended keeping weight gain to a minimum - I have other issues (thyroid) and she was worried that too much weight gain would be dangerous for me and the baby - if I don't watch it I can easily pile weight on and would end up in the obsese range. I think the general recommendation is that if your pre pregnancy BMI is over 25, try to keep gain to 8kgs (20lbs?) max.I think the idea is I put on baby weight but mainatain or even lose my own (not drinking wine helps!). I eat healthy but make sure I am always full so stick to around 1700 calories but make sure they are good calories - lots of fresh veg.

She also recommneded that if I felt hungry to eat protein rather than carbs as thats what the baby needs - I am veggie but trying to make sure I have lots of eggs, soya and tofu in my diet daily and carbs should be rice, quinoa, veg and brown bread/pasta - avoid white stuff even potatoes altho sweet potatoes are very god. So far I am 6.5 months and baby slightly bigger than it should be and doing very well. I have put on 4kgs but expecting that to go up in the last few months. Also keep exercising - nothing too cardio or that you twist/jump/lift but walking, swimming, and pregnancy yoga all good...

I won't say I'm perfect - sometimes I just want cake but I try and be good 80% of the time.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi, good for you and all the other responders who reported they were watching their calorific intake whilst pregnant.

Eat nutriously sound food, keep to comfortable exercise, dont pile on the weight and you will help to reduce your chances of gestational diabetes, gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia, macrasomic fetus, small for gestational weight baby and a host of complications during labour and birth. I am interested in where one responder said the minimum weight gain should be 24 lbs??... Seems like a very random number!! Well done you lovely people for being so interested in your (and because of thus, your baby's) health:smile:
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I walked a lot last time but I'm a bit more limited this time around with a toddler and the CO winter upon us. I think I'll take a previous poster's suggestion about a prenatal workout DVD. May I ask if you were overweight when you got pregnant or were you within a "healthy" range?
    [/quote]

I was overweight for sure - about 40 pounds outside my healthy range. The baby is 14 months now and I'm still working on it!
  • brandiewininger
    Options
    Where are you getting that 24lbs is the minimum? It varies person to person based on pre pregnancy weight. Someone underweight would be expected to gain more than a person at a normal weight. Just like someone obese like myself is expected to not gain 24lbs minimum.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry more about the health of your baby than gaining weight. You can always lose weight later. If your baby ends up sick at birth because you weren't taking care of it correctly no amount of weight loss will make you feel better about it.

Keeping the baby as the number 1 priority is good advice. Being overweight isn't good for the mom or the baby. If her OB gave her medical advice based on that, it is probably a reasonable path to follow. Good nutrition and a level of exercise, if recommended, is just good sense. Getting gestational diabetes or preeclamsia are directly linked to weight and poor eating habits.