Gym Attire

Options
Hey guys, I sometimes see real gym-rat type people wearing five-finger toe shoes, but I always thought they looked weird and I know some gyms don't even allow them ...
but seriously ... are they good for working out in? Comfort and support-wise? Testimony from those who have tried them? Thanks!

Replies

• nosillanosilla
    Options
    I tried them once. My calves were killing me the next few days and I got bad blisters. I haven't talked myself into trying again yet :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I honestly hope they are awesome to offset how incredibly stupid people look wearing them.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    And interesting observation, in my neck of the woods the gym rats wear old worn out shoes while the hipsters in neon green short shorts are the ones wearing those.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    the hipsters in neon green short shorts are the ones wearing those.

I loathe this "neon" fad. Who told the '80's it was ok to come back?
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I had used them for the longest time and I loved them. Best shoes I've ever wore to the gym. As mentioned before, your calves might get sore, but that'd be the same case if you started walking barefoot for long period of times. And to avoid blisters you need to make sure to buy the proper size and not bigger ones.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    And interesting observation, in my neck of the woods the gym rats wear old worn out shoes while the hipsters in neon green short shorts are the ones wearing those.

92a99d30-5933-4b83-b2f5-e1b8fb561283_zps0c20463b.jpg
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    They work more of your foot and leg muscles than you normally use in something like tennis shoes since you are walking as if barefoot. That is why your calves hurt. That's a good hurt! You just have to slowly break them in since you do use those different muscles.

I, among many others, use them for weight lifting. They help you use more stabilizer muscles when doing compound lifts like squats.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    They are supposed to simulate barefoot running with a lower chance of injuring your feet. There is literally now support in them though, just a layer of rubber to keep from getting cuts on your feet.

I can't use them because my doctor said my nuropothy could leave me injured and unaware. :<
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wear them in the gym all the time... love em. I don't care how they look to other people.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    minimalist running if thats your thing...

close to barefoot lifting if thats your thing... squishy soles are bad for lifting

sometimes I run in chuck taylors.... sometimes I see people lifting in Asics....

do your thing..
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just got in the mail a two toe shoe for my weightlifting and cardio kickboxing routine. I am going to try them out tomorrow to see how I like them. I found them because kickboxing was roughing up my bare feet. I wanted something lightweight that would not slip on the floor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HGPVWO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • acoustictones
    Options
    I have a pair and alternate them in about once or twice a week. My main purpose was due to having arthritis in both of my feet, and these give my feet the extra workout they need. They have done a lot to help strengthen and stretch my feet in ways that a typical shoe could not.

I don't believe they are for everyone, but they have been very important and helpful for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are very good for lifting in as they are flat soled with no compression.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think they're stupid.

My plantar fascia would bust into a 1,000 pieces if I wore a pair of those.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of getting some, because I mainly lift. I'd lift in my socks, if I could.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,402 Member
    Options
    It is going back to the way we should have been before being shoved into shoes. It is no different then women wearing 4 inch heels all day and trying to wear flats. Your muscles develop to wear the type of shoes so to wear them you must retrain the muscles. Great for someone who is a heel striker when running. It forces them to run differently.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    They are very good for lifting in as they are flat soled with no compression.

+1

Eta: I only wear them for lifting. I can't run in them.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can't use them. I gots a webbed toesie.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had them. It was really comfy having my toes separated - like they're meant to be. But then I hurt my knees and stopped jogging for awhile. Didn't feel like breaking back into the toe shoes.

FWIW, I think Fila has a 4-toed option. The last 2 toes are together as one. For the 5 minutes that I tried them on, they were more comfortable. I have short, stubby pinky toes.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I can't stand wearing them, but I understand the appeal. I lift in jazz shoes for the same "minimalist" feel. When I was wearing tennis shoes, I found myself constantly pitching onto my toes. The lack of cushion gels to stabilize me for squats and dead lifts.