Frying pan nightmare

Options
2»

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I stick with my well seasoned cast irons, low-med heat, and a thin spatcula. A drop of avocado oil goes a long way in these babys.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I stick with my well seasoned cast irons, low-med heat, and a thin spatcula. A drop of avocado oil goes a long way in these babys.

Ditto, though I've not tried avocado oil. Mine are seasoned enough that I can cook eggs without oil IF they're sunny-side up or similar. You have to let them sit and cook for a bit or they will stick. Anything you need to move around the pan right away, like scrambled eggs, needs maybe a tsp of oil - just dip a paper towel in some oil and wipe a thin layer in the pan. It'll be enough in seasoned cast iron.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I bought a 15$ one from walmart and food just slides off.. maybe go cheaper lol

This ^ A friend who is a chef is the one who told me about the method I mentioned earlier. He is team - go cheap on non stick (specifically teflon) pans.

His theory is that teflon non stick is only good for so long (heat effects it, gets scratched easily etc...) and even on expensive pans the teflon is the fist thing to go. So go cheap and throw out when it loses maximum effectiveness.

This is wasteful in terms of throwing stuff out, but monetarily I have found it is actually cheaper for me in the long run.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I get nice solid stainless pans, if you burn them you can scrub or soak them without damaging. Use a moderate amount of oil. after frying while the pan is still hot (ideally on the heat) throw in a little water not so much as to drown it enough that it boils and there is still a little in. That should lift most of anything stuck. If you have burnt it on though then soak and scrub
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with your nonstick pans, spray a little cooking spray on there and you'll be good to go.

NO, don't use cooking spray on nonstick pans. It builds up a sticky coating that can't easily be removed without damaging the nonstick surface.

Condition the new pan as its instructions specify. Use just a bit of oil or butter when you cook.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use ceramic pans and have no problem with eggs or anything else.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cast iron.

I've gone through everything - still have all the high end All-Clad and Calphalon - but what makes me happiest are my cast iron pans. They do anything, are indestructible, and properly seasoned, are the easiest things in the world to take care of.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I use a stainless steel Magnalite pan I've had since College - it is the best pan I've ever used and I've tried many. I use cooking spray or olive oil depending on what I'm cooking, but never have any issues unless I seriously burn something. If that happens I soak it with some dish soap and it always comes clean. I will use these pans till I'm old and grey.
  • Sugarfiend29
    Options
    Turn the heat down, you don't want screaming hot. Warm the pan and cook the eggs slow.

Oh how interesting we feel so qualified to be giving out cooking lessons now. I demand to see your local fire dept's annual call log. :tongue:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Not to be a smart butt, but doesn't frying sort of imply using some kind of fat? Maybe you can switch to poaching or something, if you don't want added oils. I have nice non-stick frying pans, but I always use a little PAM at the very least when I cook eggs in them.
  • peachcats
    Options
    learn the art of cast iron cooking, I barely ever use anything else.