How have you lost inches over time?

Options
Hey guys! Just wondering about your pattern of inch loss over the course of your weight loss journeys. I've always really liked my hourglass shape, but at the moment my hips are shrinking more rapidly than my waist (-2.5" compared to -.5"), which I'm NOT thrilled with - was hoping to keep my hip/waist ratio as the pounds dropped. Obviously I know there's no way to spot reduce, but I'll be hitting my lowest adult weight ever this week and so we're veering into uncharted territory as far as body shape goes! I'm hoping I'll bounce back with fat loss concentrated on my waist over the next 10 lbs or so, but you never know...

So, how did this go for y'all? Did your proportions and body shape change, or did everything even out over time?

Replies

• lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The majority of my initial weight loss (first 65 pounds or so) melted off my upper body. So, I went from being an hour glass shape, which I had always been, to having less boobage and large hips and waist. Thankfully, the next 20 or so pounds seem to be coming off my lower body to even things out, as I was a very unusual shape there for a while! :laugh: :laugh: I think it will all even out in the end!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot in my upper body first - went from a 40 band size to a 34. Then, my thighs decided to shrink like woah - I haven't measured them recently, but the stretch marks and looseness in my jeans says enough. I haven't lost much off my stomach, which I'm not mad about because I never had a big stomach to begin with. I've lost almost nothing off my calves of course, 'cause that's the body part I'm sensitive about. xD
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I carried a lot of weight on my hips and butt, so my waist to hip ratio has gotten smaller. I've still got an hourglass shape though!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine's not doing exactly last-on first-off as they say, but close. My lower thighs, ribs and arms lost first, so that was right. But instead of my belly/sides shrinking next, my hips and thighs decided to go! No fair at all ;)

I have lost some in the midsection, and I know that the rest of my lbs will have to be mainly from there, so it'll work out, I'm sure. But it's irritating! I'll be aggravated if the next inches finish my hips without the belly part moving yet. I'm getting to be definite apple, from losing :D That's just silly.
  • firecracker27
    Options
    I've lost almost nothing off my calves of course, 'cause that's the body part I'm sensitive about. xD

Oh gosh, you and me both! Just slipped into the 130s and my extra-wide boots still won't fit, wtfff. Good to know we're not alone though!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass shape too (bust and hips have always been within a couple of cms of each other, waist at least 9 inches smaller than both) My hips were going down the quickest, however as I'm nearing my goal my waist and bust are catching up and it's evening out again. I think if you've always been a certain shape (I was always an hourglass - at 50kg and at 95kg) you will maintain it, but it can take time for it to sort itself out.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    D'oh, pardon me. lol
  • firecracker27
    Options
    UnFATuated, I suspect you're right - that's really encouraging to hear, thank you! Guess I'll just have to wait out this awkward phase for a few more weeks.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It depends where your fat is distributed. If you have most of your fat about your thighs, hips or butt, those areas will tend to reduce a bit faster than your leaner areas. But as UnFATuated mentions, you're more or less going to maintain your default shape of an hour glass in the end. There is one thing worth mentioning about that, though. Your shape is established by lean mass (bone, connective tissue and muscle) and fat mass. Thus, preserving lean mass - especially muscle - while reducing fat is important since it helps define your shape to an extent.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm down 47lbs so far. My inches least are as follows :

Bust: - 5.5"
    Underbust: - 4.5"
    Waist: - 5
    Hips: - 7

I lost steadily from my hips for a while, then from my bust, then underbust, and slowly from my waist... Etc

On comments about calves... Mine have the exact same measurement now as they did before I lost anything. They are just bulky.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm losing faster from my upper body, so my usual hourglass shape is more pear-like right now. I think it will even out eventually.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with losing inches from my hips rather than my waist. At my current body fat percentage I'm a "fake hourglass" - i,e. an hourglass in measurements but only because i have a big rib cage, big shoulders and small boobs, so in terms of fashion advice, "inverted triangle" fashion tips work best for me. At a lower body fat percentage I was an inverted triangle shape and becoming more and more of an inverted triangle as my rib cage and shoulders weren't getting any smaller due to the fact that it's from my bone structure, but my boobs and hips were, because they're made of fat (my pelvis is relatively small compared to my ribcage and shoulders). So I decided not to go below 22% body fat because I like my boobs and hip fat and I really don't care whether I have six pack abs or not.

Everyone's different in terms of how their bodies store and lose fat, and like you say, you can't spot reduce. You need to find a body fat percentage where you're happy with how you look, and focus on health. No-one looks perfect. Even models don't look perfect (otherwise no-one would airbrush their pics...) so don't get hung up about trying to look perfect. Aim to be happy and healthy. Once you're within the healthy body fat percentage range, lower body fat percentages are not necessarily healthier. Find the best one for you within the healthy range.