So, I have gout, do you?

Options
I recently have been experiencing foot pains and at my yearly physical they checked my uric acid levels and found they were high and that it is more than likely gout. I've been reading up in foods to avoid and I just don't know where to begin. Right before I had my levels checked, I started eating paleo. I was following the 80/20 rule. My only exception was condiments and high solid dark chocolate. My foot pain went away. I did paleo for a month then went back to the way I was eating before with the exception of limiting processed foods. I'm now having pain again. I don't know what in earth it is. I was eating asparagus and cauliflower while on paleo and didn't have pain. I also ate a lot of red meats. I don't eat white breads and rarely eat dairy. I'd prefer to not go on medication but its starting to hurt so bad I cannot even stand on it. So, do any of you have gout? And what do you do to help manage it? I'm not sure what my problem is. Don't know what I'm eating that's causing it.

Replies

• jenniferjeanne84
    jenniferjeanne84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My fiance has gout and honestly even though he's had it for the better part of a decade he still doesn't know all the triggers. He has significantly reduced his wild game meat/ red meat intake since we moved in together. (Simply because I don't eat a whole lot of it) and it reduced signficantly. He lives at camp half the time and if he eats meat on too many days in a row there he will sometimes hae an attack.

For him there is a link between the gout and alcohol. If he has a little too much or drinks a few days in a row he'll be paying of it for weeks sometimes.

We've tried a lot of home remedies such as cherry juice and such and it really never helped much as far as he can tell...(Brother in law who also as gout swears by it though)

He doesn't manage well when he's having an attack... it's just painful.
  • treefireguy
    Options
    I have recently been diagnoised with gout. I'm 41 and have been healthy my entire life. I have had several kidney stones over the past 20 years however. When I first got the gout, (right big toe), I thought I broke my foot. I can't ever remember feeling pain like this. I was given two cortisone shots directly into my foot with slight relief. The gout tapered off for about a month, but my foot never felt right, always hurt a little bit and was stiff. After about six weeks, I got another attack in the same spot. My DR advised Allupurinol, (300mg). And I took my first does tonight. Dr. Said it would be for life, so, I guess I am having a hard time with this. I am not a big fan of pills, but this long lasting gout is ruining my ##%&* life. I am a paramedic and fireman, and have doing that for over 20 years, and I must say, I have ran on gout patients before but never really quite took it seriously, (because I simply didn't understand how horrible it is). I do now!!!!! I have ultimate compassion and simpathy for gout sufferers. My biggest concern I have is the beer thing. I enjoy drinking beer and am willing to cut back, but to cut beer off totally.. NO WAY! Any of you who take Allupurinol daily still enjoy a few cold ones?
  • Wade_74
    Wade_74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had gout for a few years now, and I can sympathize with the pain that it causes.. it's horrible.. I am quite lucky because I'll usually only get 2-3 attacks a year.. and I'm not on any medication for it.. but like others have said, when I get an attack I'm basically bedridden for a few days.. My triggers are definitely red meat and alcohol.. You said that you were consuming a lot of red meats, so I'm pretty positive that's what your trigger is.. same as mine.. unfortunately, you'll probably have to cut back on it some.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My brother has gout and he sent this to me when he moved in with me as I buy and cook majority of the food in the house. It has helped.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout-diet/MY01137

He has been dealing with his gout for about 10 years (maybe a little less) he still has times when it flairs up pretty bad.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Take the medication til your uric acid levels are normal and flareup goes away and your doc should be able to give you good diet advice.

My husband has gout. The pain is so bad, he thought he had broken his toe the first flareup he had. There is no reason to suffer through such intense pain and be bedridden ( he could not work during these flareups ) because you don't like meds.

And to the person about drinking, you can drink and take Allopurinol, it won't kill you. I think you are making an incredibly bad decision if it's one of your triggers though.

My husband's triggers appear to be really fatty foods like fish and chips just for the record. We haven't seen a flareup yet that he didn't eat something incredibly fatty and awesome the day before.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I had spells of gout about 10 years ago, and like a lot of posters I just could not walk with the pain.

What seems to have stopped it was more or less going vegetarian, and teetotal for a ages [years]

Now I do still eat red meat, fish etc, but far less than I did back then, and I continue to drink beer, which so far, 5 years, maybe more, has seen me clear of gout
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I'm going to make more paleo meals and reduce meats. I'm 25 years old and I know gout is for life; it's depressing. I love steak with a passion. Lol. But I love myself more. Thank you and best wishes. :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I apparently have really dumb doctors. I lost 60+ lbs very quickly after a heart/kidney scare the winter/spring of 2012. No one on my 'medical staff' suggested that the ankle pain i suffered, and eventually the swollen joins in fingers, wrists, elbows, and most recently knee could be GOUT. Doing some reading.......(Kalynx WebMD talking lol) losing weight releases stored up uric acid which will cause pain flairs......well duh!!!

And also, I am not a heavy drinker, butI prefer a heavy protein/fat diet and only "natural/real" foods..I am also borderline diabetic type 2 so I assumed this past year the numbness in my fingertips was from too much sugar in diet..turns out it was the tophi build up from gout ---i showed the mysterious white dots to my primary dr 6 months ago and she did not recognize them. I kept showing up in her office with random wrist, finger, elbow pain and no diagnosis even though uric acid tested high.

The past two weeks I was to the point of such severe knee pain I could not walk 5 to 10 feet from the bedroom or living room to the restroom to go potty, everytime i had to urinate i wanted to cry ..........using a cane was not enough support for the sharding pain in my knee. I finally got into a good rheumatologist dr that diagnosed with gouty arthritis by extracting the crystal build up from my fingers and he is also testing for RA due to the abnormal swelling in a few fingers and wrists.

I guess the point of my post is to say that 1. relief from this unsufferable pain is available..within 24 hrs of treating for my pain I could stand and walk without hardly any pain..and 2. tell your doctor ALL of your symptoms, and if you dont like their answer, try another doctor/clinic/etc and keep researching your symptoms and have it figured out!!

I suffered for a year with this sad cloud ..........barely being able to function to keep a full time job, feed myself, keep myself in clean socks and underwear....doing just all that was a major accomplishment. Today after just 5 days of treatment I worked 8 hrs doing a lot of walking in a very large office building, got home and changed the cat litter box, did a load of laundry, loaded the dish washer, gathered up more laundry, swept out the garage, ate dinner, fed the cats and still had a spare 20 min to just watch TV and hang............walking out of work tonight after being told "slow down there speedy!" lol by a good friend that knew how slow i was moving just days ago.............I felt wonderful.....liberated.

Please if you suspect you have gout insist on uric acid tests and do not feel shame that it is due to alcoholism or a diet choice. Weight loss and poor kidney function and use of diuretics can cause gout too.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Gout is treatable. You don't need to have gout attacks. Go see your doctor .. and ask to be prescribed a drug like "Allopurinol"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol

I have had gout for many years but I haven't had an attack for probably 10 years. I take allopurinol every day .. and my uric acid levels are under control. I can actually eat my trigger foods now without worry .. mainly hot dogs. They were hell for me .. and caused many an attack back in the day.

Hope you can find some relief as gout sucks.
  • I have Gout in both my feet and it hurts like hell but I love pain !
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My husband has suffered years of gout attacks. His uric acid level was 5 times what it should have been and we couldn't get it to come down so he is on Allopurinol. He has been on it for the better part of this year and his uric acid levels have never been healthier. He has to take the drug for the rest of his life, though is more than happy to as he hasn't had gout since he started the medication. He has not had to alter his diet, though prefers to steer clear of shell fish and prawns - I think just to be safe as he would suffer from gout terribly after eating them at special occasions.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    I suspected gout probably 9 months ago but was ashamed after reading of some of the causes and even when suggesting to my dr she poo-pooed it away. I just wish more people understood all the causes and symptoms!!
  • I suspected gout probably 9 months ago but was ashamed after reading of some of the causes and even when suggesting to my dr she poo-pooed it away. I just wish more people understood all the causes and symptoms!!

WHAT WERE THE THINGS THAT MADE YOU ASHAMED I HAVE ALLAPURONAL / URIC ACID BLOCKER ? PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU FOUND OUT ?
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Seven years ago I found out I have chronic kidney disease and was put on Lasix. About 18 months later I had excrutiating pain in the middle of my back, which then traveled to my knees, then my ankles and my toes. After a week of pain, I went to my doctor, who did blood work and I found out I had gout. I rarely eat red meat and don't drink, so wasn't sure how I got gout, until I read that it can develop when taking Lasix! I take Allopurinol, 300 mg daily and am very, very happy I have it!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have Gout in both my feet and it hurts like hell but I love pain !

Your very high protein diet might be part of the issue.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I suspected gout probably 9 months ago but was ashamed after reading of some of the causes and even when suggesting to my dr she poo-pooed it away. I just wish more people understood all the causes and symptoms!!

Gout tends to be inherited and very much runs in families and tends to effect men more than women. The whole stigma that gout is an eating issue is just crap.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Since posting this originally, I have only had one more flareup. The doctor did not prescribe me anything. I did change my diet a little bit. Im so happy that everyone has found relief somehow from this. Thank you for sharing your journey's with me and others who are in the same boat.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi I have sent you a message about this but for everyone here I just want to say I have tried meds that doctors prescribed for gout and it made me so sick......I read an article on Internet and they spoke of eating cherries that it could help while having the attack I looked it up and they said also that Cherry stems were very good to clean and prevent your system from forming crystals that block in the articulations....I went to a Health food store and they had capsules of cherry stems, I now take 1 every meal and within 3 days I saw results...my attacks were so bad that it was also in my ankles and kept me up all night ever since I take the capsules I have no more problems......and no more pain . You can also keep the cherry stems and rinse them and then boil them in water and drink the juice or drink cherry juice...good luck to all
  • Kalynx
    Options

WHAT WERE THE THINGS THAT MADE YOU ASHAMED I HAVE ALLAPURONAL / URIC ACID BLOCKER ? PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU FOUND OUT ?

the implied cause of gout is alcoholism. I was worried people would assumed untrue things about me
  • Kalynx
    Options

Gout tends to be inherited and very much runs in families and tends to effect men more than women. The whole stigma that gout is an eating issue is just crap.

Kevin, I agree! in my situation both my Dad and brother have suffered from kidney stones (result of high uric acid) and me personally have been on a ton of diuretics which cause kidneys to not be able to filter out uric acid from the blood well.........after years on those meds and a pre-disposition to high uric acid........well no kidding i had gout?

I guess the shame came in because i would go to the doctor office with a sore wrist and stiff fingers, they would do x-ray and see nothing wrong --and tell me time and time again "well you need to be more careful"..I bought into the theory of ok I must have hurt myself and cant remember, maybe I do have a drinking problem?? (even tho i rarely drink). after two or three occurances of the same situation you start to question your own sanity.