how much of a deficit to lose weight healthily?

Hello!

I am writing to ask about how much is a good healthy deficit so I can lose weight but not have my hair fall out!

I calculated my bmr and all that on a medical website, and it says for my age and height, (height 5 feet 2 inches, age 36,weight 133 pounds)

The calories I burn just laying in bed is around 1197, but with exercise included it is:

1645.57 BMR slightly active, light exercise 1 - 3 times a week
1855.01 BMR moderate exercise 3 -5 times a week

(I am assuming those number indicate how many calories would maintain my current weight?)

(I am not sure if I am slightly active or moderately active, so I calculated both. I do about 30-40 min of Samba 2x a week, and I do something like 30 day shred 2 times a week; I also walk on the weekends a bit. Yes, I know it is 4 - 5 times a week, so the choice would be the 2nd one, but I only exercise 20 - 45 min at a time, so that isn't much - what do y'all think?)

So how much under my maintenance calories should I be, to stay healthy and not lose muscle tone or hair? Thanks in advance!

I guess my real question is, do we need a 20% deficit? 15%? What is healthy. Thanks!

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    I do a 250 calorie deficit per day. Doing fine, slow but steady and v healthy
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Mostly it depends on how much weight you have to lose. Your ticker says you only have about 12 pounds to lose so I would suggest going with MFP numbers for 1/2 pound a week. that is a 250 calorie deficit per day and eat back your exercise calories if using a HRM or about 70% of them if using MFP numbers. That is my opinion.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hey there,

BMR plus exercise and moving around etc is called TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

TDEE - 20% is a good rule of thumb, and you don't need to log exercise. I'd go for 'lightly active' based on what you do - which gives you a daily calorie allowance of 1,316.