Sweden's new national dietary recommendations: LCHF!

Options
Wilhellmina
Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
Maybe not the right place, but I post it here anyway. Finally a country who considers high fat and low carbs are not bad for your health, it's better even! Good fats are not bad, we need them!:

October 29, 2013

Sweden has become the first western nation to recommend a lower-carbohydrate higher-fat, diet as part of an effort to reduce the national prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and to improve markers of heart health. This bold move stems from a literature review of 16,000 studies on diet and obesity, published by Swedish government advisors at the Council on Health Technology Assessment.

Swedish advisors recognize that the oft-recommended low-fat diet is failing in the fight to stop or reverse obesity trends that have reached epidemic proportions across the globe. New guidelines are aligned with the Atkins approach to eating. The Atkins Diet focuses on high protein and fat intake while limiting carbohydrates, which is reported to reduce body weight, lower blood sugar and improve good cholesterol.

Essentially, the Council suggests that a diet moderately-low in carbohydrate (40% of total calories) would see some of these improvements and a greater increase in good (HDL) cholesterol without having any adverse effects on bad (LDL) cholesterol, while an even lower carbohydrate intake (20% of total calories) would result in more benefits including improved blood sugar levels for individuals with obesity and diabetes and marginally decreased levels of triglycerides.

In a statement released Monday, Colette Heimowitz, M.Sc., vice president of nutrition and education at Atkins explains, "In the maintenance phase of the Atkins Diet, our followers should be in what we call 'carbohydrate balance.'

This generally has them eating between 20 and 40 percent of their calories from carbs, exactly the percentage recommended by the Council, and precisely the range that will help people maintain their goal weight. By eating proteins, low-glycemic vegetables and fruits, nuts and healthful fats, the Atkins Diet is very much in alignment with the new Swedish dietary recommendations."

In addition, advisors to the Swedish government speak to other benefits of an Atkins-like diet that permits higher-fat foods. Those benefits highlighted include both satisfaction and satiety, which are in large part, responsible for greater long-term sustainability.

Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, professor and nutrition researcher at the University of Connecticut adds that, "It will be interesting to see how quickly other countries follow suit, recognizing that managing carbohydrates is the key to handling certain health conditions. Lower-fat varieties of foods are often higher in sugars and carbohydrates, which is simply counter-intuitive for people who need to control metabolism-related conditions like diabetes, metabolic syndrome and insulin sensitivity, all of which are related to obesity."

For more information about the effectiveness of the Atkins Diet, watch the attached video featuring Dr. Marc Bessler, obesity expert at NY-Presbyterian Hospital.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sweden-s-new-national-dietary-recommendations-low-carb-low-glycemic-foods

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be high in fat? Can someone do LCLF and still have the same results?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Low fat isn't a good idea. Fat is essential and your body needs a certain amount of it to function properly and effectively. There is no need for it to be high fat however. The benefits of a high fat diet come mostly from the high protein intake, which you can do without high fat.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be high in fat? Can someone do LCLF and still have the same results?

Well then you'd have to fill your calories with A LOT of protein! You'd end up with a country full of people who have gout....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol, 20-40% of intake as carbs is low carb? And interviewing the shill Volek lololol
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Lol, 20-40% of intake as carbs is low carb? And interviewing the shill Volek lololol

well, according to "science" where 50% caloric intake from carbs is "normal".

They also threw in Atkins, and mentioned the maintenance diet part of the diet? NOBODY reads or does that part of the diet...LOLz....
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    clearly written with the cooperation of Big Meatball. :angry:

swedish-meatballs.jpg

SwedishChef.jpg
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting!!!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    clearly written with the cooperation of Big Meatball. :angry:

swedish-meatballs.jpg

SwedishChef.jpg

Ooh I looooove Swedish meatballs. Must be because my mom is Swedish!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    this makes me want to go to IKEA!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    First government to recommend MCME - Moderate Calories, Moderate Exercise - gets my vote.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How many Omega-3s are in Swedish fish?!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    5.0E22 molecules in a typical serving...
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It should be called lowER carbohydrate, highER fat... because 40% daily intake from carbs isn't that low.

Also, just because it meets the maintenance phase of the Atkins diet doesn't mean the Atkins diet as a whole is inline with these recommendations...

My sister is constantly going on and off of Atkins... she keeps insisting that low carb is the only way to lose weight for her because she'll quickly lose 30 lbs on a low carb diet... then she gets hungry and gains it back. She doesn't like waiting around and losing a pound or two a week so she goes back to low carb dieting when she decides she wants to be back on the wagon again...

I imagine if folks just used the "maintenance" phase of Atkins, lowered their overall calories, and accepted the slow steady weight loss that came with it rather than looking for the weight loss "boost" that they get from Phase 1 and 2 (where they lose, in my opinion, way too much too quickly) they'd probably be a lot better off in the long run.
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As a swed i can tell you this: There's been kind of a cult around lchf for a couple of years over here. Now 5-2 intermittent fasting is the big thing. Bloggers and "expert's" of various kinds fighting it out in media. But the fact about the recommendations is:
    "NFA recommends about a third of energy intake, 25-35% should come from fat, 10-20% from protein." The difference is that they now recognize low carb as effective to lose weight.
    I've tried lchf. Lost weight. Gained weight it again when I increased the carbs. Now, i eat whatever I want but I keep track and try to mostly stick to good quality food. I also work out regularly. This seems to be the most effective solution so far. When I look around, the people who looks healthy, hot and fit usually lift heavy, eat everything but keep protein levels high and track their input and output. Seems like a good idea to me but whatever floats your boat. .:smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IKR? And focusing on Atkins for half the article? /smh

Always go to the source, if you can. What does the SBU say?

My Swedish sucks so, google translate it is.

For adults - In the short term (six months) following advice about low or moderate-low carb is more effective for weight loss than following advice about low fat diet. In the long term, there is no difference in the effect on weight loss advice on the strict and moderate carbohydrate diet, low-fat diets, high protein, Mediterranean diet, diet focuses on low glycemic load or diets with a high proportion of monounsaturated fats.
    Advice about higher intake of dairy products (mainly milk) or a decrease intake of sweet drinks can also lead to weight loss.

I'm always amazed how people take a report and confirmation bias it to death.

Here it is in all it's google translate gory glory
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http://www.sbu.se/sv/Publicerat/Gul/Mat-vid-fetma-/

So no, they are not recommending LCHF or Atkins for the long term.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    LMAO

40% of my maintenance calories from carbs is 300 grams. I was unaware that 300 grams of carbs per day is "low carb."

This article is a joke...

tigerpalm.jpg
    As a swed i can tell you this: There's been kind of a cult around lchf for a couple of years over here. Now 5-2 intermittent fasting is the big thing. Bloggers and "expert's" of various kinds fighting it out in media. But the fact about the recommendations is:
    "NFA recommends about a third of energy intake, 25-35% should come from fat, 10-20% from protein." The difference is that they now recognize low carb as effective to lose weight.
    I've tried lchf. Lost weight. Gained weight it again when I increased the carbs. Now, i eat whatever I want but I keep track and try to mostly stick to good quality food. I also work out regularly. This seems to be the most effective solution so far. When I look around, the people who looks healthy, hot and fit usually lift heavy, eat everything but keep protein levels high and track their input and output. Seems like a good idea to me but whatever floats your boat. .:smile:
    In other words, the real recommendations fall squarely in line with everyone else. Unsurprising since that's what the World Health Organization recommends, and everyone pretty much follows those recommendations, with a few tweaks here and there; the United States recommending slightly lower fat and higher protein, for example.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • shauner03
    shauner03 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    And Dr. Atkins died of a heart-attack, go figure.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    How many Omega-3s are in Swedish fish?!

Ooooh Swedish fish!! nomnomnom....:smooched:

Dunno, but a snack sized bag with 6 Swedish fish has 14 g of carbs :sick: too many for me :angry: