One works out, the other doesn't....

Options
soyum
soyum Posts: 49 Member
2 people, both on 2000 calories a day.

Person A does not work out at all.

Person B works out and burns 1000 calories a day, so he eats 3000 calories a day.

Eventually they both reach their goal weight, pretty much at the same time.

How does person A look compared to person B ?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Math is hard
    math-is-hard-2-o.gif
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If person B is lifting weights, person A will look skinny fat, and person B will look either built, or built fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Not as good, assuming they are identical twins, and they were both eating the same macro / micro nutrients. Genetics can play a roll too.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Presumably the one who works out will retain more lean mass on the cut. But if it's eating back 1000 calories of walking, I'm guessing wouldn't see much of a difference between the two.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Well if person B incorporated strength training in their workouts, I'd imagine they would retain more lean mass and their body would look tighter, or more "toned" if you will, than person A.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    There's like a million variables and questions crossing my mind. I'm going with the same.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No way to know. Too much depends on how they exercised (and how they didn't exercise), and on their genetics.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If person B is lifting weights, person A will look skinny fat, and person B will look either built, or built fat.

Can't say that. Turns out there is a significant portion of the population that actually loses lean mass when doing a "sensible" lifting program while in a caloric deficit.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Can't say that. Turns out there is a significant portion of the population that actually loses lean mass when doing a "sensible" lifting program while in a caloric deficit.

Perhaps, but they'll still have more muscle than person A who doesn't work out at all, unless person A has a physical day job.
  • MissRikki03
    Options
    gotta think person B is more toned eh?
  • soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Yah...all things being equal, the only difference would be "B" works out with weights, cardio, etc, etc. So I'm inclined to believe "B" would look much better, tighter, toned, etc, etc. Thx. ;)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Not necessarily, it would depend on the cut. Skinny fat is normally caused by undereating and losing weight too quickly, as that's when you will lose muscle mass.

It's impossible to answer this, it would depend on the genetics, the type of exercise, the deficit both parties were creating, etc etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Impossible to tell from just the information given. One would expect person B to look more fit, but a lot would depend on age, genetics, individual TDEE, diet, lifestyle outside work outs, etc.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Borrrrring

If they got in a fight, would person B kick person A's *kitten* ?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I will marry person B