Thanksgiving gameplans?

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    turkey (dark meat only), dressing, gravy, broccoli casserole, bread, chocolate pie, wipe mouth, repeat until satisfied.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot about this and I believe I have an optimal plan for ME. But please if you don't have anything nice to say about my plan then just don't say it. We are all here for the same reasons so lets just hold hands and sing songs. Ok now that I have that out of the way here's the gameplan.

First, I'm going to bring some whey protein with me to the thanksgiving feast. When my relatives aren't looking, I'll sprinkle some whey into their milk to hopefully help blunt their appetite so that they don't eat as much. Not for their sake, for mine. I really hate when we run out of turkey.

I've also decided this year that when I take four or five massive scoops of mashed potatoes, I'm going to use my spoon to mash the middle of the potato mountain to create a big cavern so that I can pour the gravy into the cavern and it will sit there like a gravy swimming pool. If I were more comfortable I'd take my shirt and pants off and dive into the gravy pool but I think it might be a bad impression to give my son since he can't swim yet, and that's pretty unfair.

I'm also going to sit in the chair nearest the back-counter where we keep the pie so that I can position myself closer to the pie and minimize travel time between my plate and the pie. This, combined with the potential hunger blunting effects of whey protein that I used on my relatives, may result in more pie for me.

Finally, I'm wearing my gym pants instead of jeans, and bringing a towel in case I get the meat sweats.

Thanks for reading my gameplans and remember this is just what works for me and we're all different.

This is helpful. I can never remember if we're all the same and here for different reasons, or if we're all different and here for the same reason.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just another day off work. Spending the special day with my best friend Netflix.

I've never been a big fan of typical Thanksgiving food anyways...I like it but I don't look forward to it. Except stuffing.

I'll probably spend the day drinking beer and eating pizza.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. I'm not going to spoil the time with my family by obsessing over food. I'm just going to do what I've always done. Eat food and enjoy time with my family.

Thanksgiving never caused me to get fat before, there is no reason to expect it will this year.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I will be making lighter versions when I can and I will be watching portio sizes. I will be off for the week so I am aiming to bump up the exercise for the week also.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Go for a long run in the am and then only eat portions of the food I really love!!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Turkey sans gravy, whatever veggies aren't in a sauce/casserole, and a dessert of my own making so I know exactly what I'm getting.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    No counting for me on Thanksgiving Day - but that's the ONLY day!

I'm going to be traveling for 2 weeks and ending up with family for the holiday so there will be lots of eating out while I'm on the road and when I'm staying with friends. I'm going to have the really careful.

And Thanksgiving for my family means a wide variety of food, and most importantly - PIES! We joked for a while that you couldn't get in the door without a pie, and since I was traveling I brought one of the little single-serving pies to the door! One sister, the host, bakes some family favorites but also tries something new each year and some of them become favorites. A few years back we had 12 people for dinner and 14 pies - 6 varieties I think. Heaven!

The other huge temptation will be my sister's homemade rolls. My great-nephew dubbed them Nana Rolls and they're the best!

So my goal is not to stuff myself Thanksgiving Day, limit myself to 1 piece of pie each day, and limit myself to 2 Nana Rolls each day. And if weather permits, get outside and go for a walk - nothing major, just something to get me moving rather than sitting around the table (and eating!).
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot about this and I believe I have an optimal plan for ME. But please if you don't have anything nice to say about my plan then just don't say it. We are all here for the same reasons so lets just hold hands and sing songs. Ok now that I have that out of the way here's the gameplan.

First, I'm going to bring some whey protein with me to the thanksgiving feast. When my relatives aren't looking, I'll sprinkle some whey into their milk to hopefully help blunt their appetite so that they don't eat as much. Not for their sake, for mine. I really hate when we run out of turkey.

I've also decided this year that when I take four or five massive scoops of mashed potatoes, I'm going to use my spoon to mash the middle of the potato mountain to create a big cavern so that I can pour the gravy into the cavern and it will sit there like a gravy swimming pool. If I were more comfortable I'd take my shirt and pants off and dive into the gravy pool but I think it might be a bad impression to give my son since he can't swim yet, and that's pretty unfair.

I'm also going to sit in the chair nearest the back-counter where we keep the pie so that I can position myself closer to the pie and minimize travel time between my plate and the pie. This, combined with the potential hunger blunting effects of whey protein that I used on my relatives, may result in more pie for me.

Finally, I'm wearing my gym pants instead of jeans, and bringing a towel in case I get the meat sweats.

Thanks for reading my gameplans and remember this is just what works for me and we're all different.

Bwahahahahahhahahaha! LOVE this plan!

My plan is:
    1 pumpkin struessel pie from Cracker Barrel cut into 16 pieces and consumed over the course of several days.
    They only have this specific pie available like 2 or 3 days every year. I buy a pie to take and a pie for ME!

Thankfully our church is hosting a community Thanksgiving Dinner, so I will be up and about serving and playing hostess.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are registered for a Turkey Day 5k in the morning. Only other plan is to eat ....om nom nom!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    snipped brilliant SS gameplan
    This is helpful. I can never remember if we're all the same and here for different reasons, or if we're all different and here for the same reason.

Everyone is different so each person has to find what works for them and only them. We're all here for the same reason.

Personally, I'm going to eat all the foods and log all the foods.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Diffferent indeeed.

You forgot the biscuits slacker!!!

Turkey stuffing + gravy fashioned into a sandwich with said biscuits.

game-blouses-skitdave-chappelle-lt5jsubt.jpg
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    snipped brilliant SS gameplan

Everyone is different so each person has to find what works for them and only them. We're all here for the same reason.

Personally, I'm going to eat all the foods and log all the foods.

Yep. Eat it all and log it all. It's impossible to destroy a diet in 1 day. I logged it out for curiosity's sake .. no bastardized versions of recipes .. and well .. it's just not that bad:

Turkey - Meat only, cooked, roasted, 226.0 g 384
    Generic - Turkey Gravy, 4 oz 90
    Generic - Homemade Cornbread and Turkey Sausage Stuffing, 1 cup 242
    Ocean Spray - Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce 1oz, 4 oz 220
    Side - Campbell's - Green Bean Casserole W/ French's Fried Onions, 3/4 cup 148
    Generic - Sweet Potato Casserole With Brown Sugar and Pecans, 1 cup 211
    Generic - Pumpkin Pie, 1 slice 323
    Homemade - Blueberry Pie, 1 slice (1/8 of 9" dia) 400
    Whipped Cream - Homemade Whipped Heavy Cream Topping, 1/2 cup 102
    Generic - Table Wine - White, 4 Glass 3.5 fl oz 280
    Total Calories 2,400

Sorry it's ugly .. calories only listed.

Granted, I'll throw another 1000 on top of that during the day .. we have people over early, and do some drinking and picking while dinner cooks ..
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    oops
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Wow...great plan. Just don't bother with the pants. And pics....lots and lots of pics please.

Agreed, pants only hinder the process.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    EAT
    DRINK
    BE MERRY
    then go work it off.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

This is a solid plan, SS, and I might borrow parts of it, but seeing as how I am cooking the dinner (or most of it) I get in on the ground floor action. Don't underestimate the extra deliciousness you get from the tasting and testing during the process of cooking. It's also important to get your form down for when the food is served to make sure you are in there first to get the choice pieces before the rest of the relatives get their grubby hands on.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My plan?

Football, food, and a food coma.

Friday?

Leg day from hell.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pig out, guilt free, and get back on track once it's over.

Exercising early am, and then this ^^^.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My plan is to enjoy the day with my family!! If that means eating a lot of delicious foods then so be it. It's one day that happens once a year!