help/advise for you yoga gurus

Options
I just started to exercise. Today, I put on my schedule that I would do a fitness yoga class. I have taken yoga classes before, but I am by no means a pro...or anything close to being skilled. Okay, I have taken 5 yoga classes in my life. My gut says skip it and do the treadmill instead, but I don't want to be so easily intimidated. But I fear I will be embarassed at my lack of ability in a room full of sculpted bodies that know the form and can anticipate every move.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Actually, in most yoga classes you will have anything from newbs, novices and experts. We are all there to have fun, relax and learn. There is no reason to feel stressed or embarassed. Besides, those ''sculpted bodies that know the form and can anticipate every move'' started somewhere, same place as you now. They weren't born knowing the movements :wink:

If you don't feel comfortable, I suggest you try with Yogadownload.com at home. Plenty of free classes so you can learn the basic moves

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised. People of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels take yoga classes. And the sculpted, bendy ones? They had to start somewhere. Also, they're more focused on what they're doing than what you're doing anyway. I'd try it, and if you don't like it, then don't go back.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Do it! You won't regret it. I don't know what it's like round by you, but at my yoga class there are people of all shapes and sizes, ages and levels of experience, and nobody judges you if you can't get into a pose. I'm by no means a yoga guru and there's no way I'm getting my head between my legs any time soon, but I just feel so great after a good yoga session and recommend it to everybody I know. The only thing I would say is that make sure the class is the right level for you - while you won't be judged, you don't want to be put off by the pace or get frustrated!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    thanks ladies, I think I will try it. It is at the YMCA...the few times I have been there, I have seen many different body shapes...so hopefully that holds true in yoga class. If I get a little overwhelmed; I may just leave and do some treadmill. I also might talk to the instructor before class and explain I am new to this, so if I do disappear--to not take offense.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga for many years (and am by no means a guru). I will recommend it to every person on the planet, regardless of age, size, fitness level...there are so many benefits to be realized by doing yoga. And don't worry about feeling intimidated. I have never been to a yoga class where anyone was judged. Most people are more concerned with what they are doing and don't even pay attention to you. If you have a good instructor, they will help you with your form so that you can get the maximum benefits from a pose. Don't take offense to this, it will do you good in the long run.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I bet the YMCA class will be perfect for you - let us know how it goes! :smile:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just started to exercise. Today, I put on my schedule that I would do a fitness yoga class. I have taken yoga classes before, but I am by no means a pro...or anything close to being skilled. Okay, I have taken 5 yoga classes in my life. My gut says skip it and do the treadmill instead, but I don't want to be so easily intimidated. But I fear I will be embarassed at my lack of ability in a room full of sculpted bodies that know the form and can anticipate every move.
    First, do not compare yourself to anyone else, everyone is different. Use blocks if you need them, take breaks in class if parts are too strenuous (I would go into childs pose). I wanted more flexibility, with strength, when I asked my instructor before class (after a few months) what recommendations she had ... it was breathing. Just go thru the class concentrating on breathing correctly during the session. After two sessions, it made such a tremendous difference it was amazing. Embrace body, mind, soul.
  • pkdmfp
    pkdmfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a Yoga instructor, don't worry about other people and just focus on what you like to do. I am sure you will like it once you focus on yourself. I have been practicing yoga for the last 10 years and I love it. It will help you to deal with stress and gaining flexibility, before you know will be able to do all the Yoga poses. Good Luck and have fun!:smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think you'll enjoy the classes at the Y! They were my favorites. The awesome thing about yoga is that your attempt at a pose is exactly the way it should be done :) If your form is correct (an instructor will check that), the whole point is to stretch or strengthen your muscles, not anybody else's. So naturally you have a class full of people in different versions of the pose. That's the way it's supposed to be, so nobody is dropping behind, because that's not how yoga is. There is no dropping behind, unless you just don't try at all :)

If you enjoy yoga, you'll find yourself searching for poses that you know you 'can't do'. It's great fun to see how much better you get at them over time!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do most of my classes with my eyes closed, just do it you will be glad you dud.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I walk in to yoga classes. If I can do it, and nobody laughs, anyone can.