Protein Shakes

Options
Hi Guys

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but my issues is that I love my food. I can healthy eat though, especially if I see results.
I don't want to do a fad diet like juice plus or whatever but has any one added whey protein shakes into their diet after a work out?
does it aid weightloss?

thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• johan1585
    johan1585 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i dont think it aids weightloss, but it does help muscle recovery but you can allso add beans steak chicken eggs or what ever has proteine in your dieet same thing but then with micro/macro nutrients.
  • adriennewx
    adriennewx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    see when I read up on whey protein as appose to normal protein it said it did. hmmm haha
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    No, it doesn't aid weight loss. When you research it, you will probably find things that do say it will aid weight loss. This is because whey protein comes in a package which can be sold for a lot of money.
    The only ways it could possibly help is: 1. protein is filling, so you may eat less, 2. a protein shake will probably have less calories than something high in sugar or fat.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are great (and necessary) after any resistance training to support muscle recovery. Personally I don't like to see them used as meal replacements. To supplement your meal plan here and there , sure. We get busy and they are low cal and loaded with protein ( i mix mine with water) and they travel well. Many people who don't lift weights use them for this reason alone. So yes they can help with weight loss if you give up other protein and calorie sources. Problem with this though, is that whey protein shakes are quickly absorbed into your system and may leave you hungry again sooner than meat, bean, egg etc based meals. Leading to eating more or things we shouldn't.

Like most things, its a personal choice so find what will work for you longterm.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    They aren't necessary after resistance training.
  • shaw131
    shaw131 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not necessary. Whey protein is a supplement.

Many people use whey protein either for convenience or when they struggle to consume their required amount of protein through whole foods. Obvious candidates are bodybuilders.

The general consensus is that if you can get your required protein intake through whole foods then this is the better option. It is also considered that your body has to work harder to break down whole foods as opposed to liquid calories so you may find you lose weigh more consistently when your diet is based on entirely whole foods.

It is true that protein shakes are absorbed much quicker into the body so are great post workout. However, I’d agree that a diet based mainly on whole foods is better for fat loss.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein shakes during my workout. It helps me hit my protein macro for the day. I mix it with 568ml of skimmed milk, 30-60g of protein (depending on the workout of that day). It's really not necessary for some people but for me I struggle to get the protein otherwise, because food really fills me up. I have found it really helpful, especially now that I am doing weight training 5 times a week.
  • Mikele17
    Mikele17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think protien shakes are a good alternative to a high calorie snack. It also works well as a meal replacement for breakfast if I add a friut or vegestable and unsweetened tea. I use non sweetened almond soy milk with my herbal life shakes. The milk is thirty calories a cup and the shake mix is 90 calories a serving! Many women do not want to build muscle but more muscle means more calories being burned at rest. I am not an expert I have just done a little research. Hope this helps.
  • adriennewx
    adriennewx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :)