Venison?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interesting. When I buy venison in Germany or get some from my uncle who hunts, I never have to soak it. Do folks in the US not let the meat hang or whatever it's called in English?

LOL -- perhaps it is a regional thing in US? I know in my family and in the community i grew up hanging venison (and beef) to age was common practice. It helps break down the collagen and makes the meet more tender and flavorful. I am pretty sure this is why beef served in the finer restaurants is always aged a couple of weeks or more.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need to soak it or rinse it or talk nice to it or whatever....
    I have a pot of elk stew in the fridge at home.... just cook the tougher cuts forever.. (a day).. add some tomatoes to the soup or roast.. .the acid helps break it down and make it tender... very good and super low fat.
    We grill the backstraps like steak... they are a little tough but not that bad.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The guys he hunts with typically process it quickly and freeze it. So it idn't get the opportunity to age. The soaking helps with the gamey flavor and getting the blood out. (I wish it could hang for a while, it would make this easier, and taste better)

I'm familiar with cooking methods, so that part is easy. And I've combined equal parts ground venison with ground beef or turkey. It was the marinade recipes, and recipes for cooking the roasts that interested me most.

This is the first deer he has gotten in 4 years of bow hunting, so I was prepared for him to eat his tag again! NOT prepared for coming up with recipes! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    DEER TACOS! ... and if you have tenderloins, Just cook them rare (sear the outside, like you would a filet mignon ... Boisari seasoning salt (original flavor) is yummy with venison ... but plain salt and pepper works too ... rosemary goes well with it too) ... Deglaze the pan w/ red winw and add some frozen (pitted) cherries, thaw cherries, reduce liquid ... BOOM you have a sauce ....
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My Father and I are avid deer hunters. Up till a few years ago, we have had great success in our bounty for the year, but since my weight became an issue, I dreaded the hunt. However, I would still take place in cutting and processing deer every year. We even started to do our own smoked summer sausage and other smoked treats along with hotdogs and kielbasa. Seeing your husband takes it in to be processed is not only more expensive that doing it yourself, you run the risk of decontamination from other food sources (In Wisconsin Chronic Wasting Disease was one reason) - but you can also control the recipes and adjust the type of filler(if any) is used.

If your interested in any more, I would be happy to get some info for you.

Crusher!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I started mixing my drier meats with ground BS Chicken breast. The drier meats absorb the large amounts of water from the chicken with fewer fats and calories.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The best chilli I ever had in my entire life was made with venison.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Interesting. When I buy venison in Germany or get some from my uncle who hunts, I never have to soak it. Do folks in the US not let the meat hang or whatever it's called in English?

In winter I quite like making venison goulash, so basically a stew but I dont use a specific recipe.

Depends on where you are and the traditions that you're used to. I am from East Texas. We hang it, drain it, and quarter it up. Hubby puts it in a cooler with ice and every day he will drain the water off and add more ice. After about three days we cut it into steaks, backstrap, grinding meat, roasts, etc. and get it in the freezer.

However, there have been many a night that we cut the backstrap right off the deer after shooting it and cooked it right then. I LOVE deer meat! Since six of eight people in our household, including my five year old, hunts, we always have a freezer full!
  • MyLowCarbSanity
    MyLowCarbSanity Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband hunts and venison is one of our favorites. I have cooked it many ways and always enjoy Hank Shaw's recipes for venison and all other game meats. He is a James Beard winner and you can see his recipes on his blog--http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/. We've made the corned venison many times and it is spectacular.

I have a venison chili that I entered into Robb Wolf's Ultimate Chili Cook-Off earlier this year. If you like spice it is a great recipe to make with venison. It is called Spice-Full Venison Paleo Chili (#83) and is located at http://robbwolf.com/2013/01/11/time-vote-favorite-chili-recipe/. Hope this helps and enjoy the venison!
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe is "asian style beef and broccoli" of course I use what "deer meat" we have whether its antelope, elk, mule deer, it all is good. 1 and 1/2 lbs of steak sliced thin (best sliced when still slightly frozen) 1 bag 16 oz of broccoli or one head of fresh broccoli, lawry seasoning - asian beef and broccoli packet stir in 1 cup of soy sauce and 1/3 cup of water. Cook meat strips til most redness is gone, leave a little pink to prevent from drying out, then put in broccoli and stir in the seasoning mixed with soy sacue and water. Cook about 5 - 7 minutes or until broccoli is tender/crisp.

My next favorite is "vegetable beef soup" 1 and 1/ 2 lbs of ground vension, a can of diced tomatoes, 2 carrots shredded, 2 stalks of celery chopped coarsley, 1 large onion chopped coarsely (ie big chunks), 16 oz bag of frozen veggies (I use california style) 1 frozen box of artichoke hearts, 3 tablespoons of dried onion, 1 bay leaf, garlic salt and pepper to taste. Brown meat. Then put cooked meat and everything else in a large crock pot and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours!

Enjoy! We do in my house!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

LOL -- perhaps it is a regional thing in US? I know in my family and in the community i grew up hanging venison (and beef) to age was common practice. It helps break down the collagen and makes the meet more tender and flavorful. I am pretty sure this is why beef served in the finer restaurants is always aged a couple of weeks or more.

We definitley hang it in a chiller here.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Venison is lean - so you either need to cook it forever or for seconds - when I have venison steaks from the loin I have them super-rare. When I roast legs etc, I have them pink. Stews need cooking for a day, at least.

+1

I love slow cooker venison stew and steaks on the grill that are still practically prancing around....
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We don't soak it, in fact I've never heard of that. We hang ours for a bit before doing the butchering, except for the ocassional immediate grilling of the back straps. Personally I love the gamey flavor of wild meats, so I would never do anything to lessen that.

Another thought that I haven't seen come up...we can a good bit of venison in a traditional pressure canner. It is fabulous in chili, soup, and stroganoff. It's fall apart tender and a great way to make a quick meal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    DH got a deer two weeks ago, and now I am looking for a "tried n true" recipe to cook it. We got several roasts, and ground venison out of it, plus he is taking some to the processors to make summer sausage.

In culinary school, we only touched on game meats briefly, and I haven't had to do anything with it since then. I know I need to run it under cold water for ten minutes and soak it in salt water for ten minutes. After that I would treat it as any other very lean piece of meat. Still, though, a good recipe to compliment the venison would be welcome!

For the most part, you can treat it like a drier form of beef. So any recipe you have for beef, you can generally use with venison, though you might need to add some liquid to keep the texture/thickness right.

We never soaked it in salt water, but we soaked it in vinegar and water mix (we butchered the deer ourselves, and would do the soak as we cut). Probably does the same thing, but might be a good alternative to try. We only hang it when it's cold enough outside (we don't have room anywhere to hang it otherwise), and only for a few hours (so the scavengers don't find it).

If you have dollar steaks (loin medallions?), they are absolutely awesome pan fried with some coconut oil and a little salt and pepper.

It's great as the meat in stroganoff or spaghetti sauce, but like someone else mentioned, it works best mixed with ground beef to add some fat. Barring that, be prepared to use a lot of oil when cooking it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband's family has quite a few hunters, so we have a pretty good flow of venison. I'm not a huge fan of backstraps, but for ground venison, this is my tried/true burger recipe (it's the only red meat I can handle):

~18-20 ounces ground venison
    1 egg
    1-2 tablespoons mayo (I use light mayo, so, whatev)
    1-2 tablespoons parsley
    1/2 cup panko
    Salt and pepper according to your tastes

Form into however many patties--I get a 8 good palm sized, 1-2 inch thick patties from these. It's not too complicated because most of the additives are just to moisten/keep the venison together without detracting from the taste of the meat.
  • ilizzyd
    ilizzyd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    <--- Hoping my brother gets one soon, as I LOVE deer meat!! I mix mine with ground beef for meatloaf, or use it solo for a spaghetti meat sauce, in chili or soups.

I also like to take steak medallions and fry it in butter with onions over a camp fire... YUMMMM!!!!!

ENJOY :)
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Crock pot works well to keep venison moist. This weekend we made shredded BBQ venison by cooking roast overnight on low totally covered in liquid ( we used onions, beef stock, Lipton onion soup mix and water). Made an awesome stew out of diced tenderloin and lots of root veggies yesterday.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i enjoy taking cubes of backstrap and marinating them for a couple days in a mixture of soy sauce and brown sugar.
    then i wrap it in bacon and broil em up. awesome appetizer, or main course if you have enough.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING with venison is GREAT!!!! I like to wrap it in bacon and bake it....guarantee you will like it!! This works great on steaks, loins and roasts.