How often do you jump on the Scale?

Options
My name is Dawn and I'm addicted to my scale. It is truly a love hate relationship. I have found myself stepping on this beast of burden several times a day. I know it is unhealthy to do this and its even suggested that you skip days between jumping on ..... but I'm addicted.

So I'm wondering when do you jump on the bathroom beast?

Replies

• _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    At first I would only get on the scale one day a week. Then I started to be curious as to meals I ate how it would affect my weight--and thus I started weighing myself every morning. I still only track my weight every Thursday morning. For the last 3 or 4 days I have been about 3-5lbs less than I was last Thursday--so I feel I have my met my first goal of 30lbs. Obviously if you look at my ticker it doesn't show 30lbs--because to keep my weightloss accurately measured I only record the Thursday total. If you can handle looking at your scale frequently--do it. To measure weightloss like that though will be bonkers.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning BUT it is to record my weight for a weekly average only. I do not let the fluctuations bother me because I can fluctuate sometimes up to 5 lbs depending on what I have eaten the night before, sodium, water intake etc. I log only the weekly average weight once per week so that I have the most accurate picture and eliminate most of the fluctuations from my progression.

If you are a person who will get frustrated with seeing a weight gain overnight then I would highly recommend NOT weighing more than once per week.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Don't go near it. Evil bloody things those scales.

In fact I threw it out the back of my house about 3 months ago and the squirrels now play with it in the trees. lol

Measures work best for me, give it a go!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. I see the daily fluctuations and I know it's normal, so going up 2lbs one day doesn't bother me because I know later in the week I may be down 3lbs or whatever. Water weight, new exercise, too much sodium, hormones - so many things can affect the scale - and meanwhile my clothes fit the same, so obviously the gains are not fat. :tongue:

Weighing several times a day will frustrate you to no end - of course your weight will change throughout the day as you eat food, drink water, go to the bathroom, sweat through a workout - totally normal.

If you're obsessed, limit yourself to once a week weigh-ins - make it the same day of the week, same time of day under the same conditions. And grab a tape measure and start recording your measurements a couple times a month. I dropped a full size, losing fat and inches last year while the scale didn't change at all. It's a sneaky little liar at times and can really mess with your head if you let it.

Don't let that number define you or be the only gauge of your progress! Take measurements and photos!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh once a week, but then I hit a bit of a stall for about 4 weeks so decided to start weighing every day so I could get a trend and see if I could see a pattern in my fluctuations. I don't let the fluctuations bother me though.

Funnily since I started weighing every day the scale has been dropping (but that's because I've been stricter with my logging!!!)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I weigh every morning BUT it is to record my weight for a weekly average only. I do not let the fluctuations bother me because I can fluctuate sometimes up to 5 lbs depending on what I have eaten the night before, sodium, water intake etc. I log only the weekly average weight once per week so that I have the most accurate picture and eliminate most of the fluctuations from my progression.

If you are a person who will get frustrated with seeing a weight gain overnight then I would highly recommend NOT weighing more than once per week.

^^ This. I used to only weigh myself once every week or two, but I've become more interested in seeing how what I eat, how much sodium I ingest, my period, etc, impacts my weight, so I tend to weigh myself every day now. I still only record every couple weeks, since weight does fluctuate so much. But if the number on the scale controls how you feel about yourself, I would avoid this; I can be up as much as 8 lb in one day, depending on a variety of factors.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I wake, use the restroom, run my bathwater and hop on the scale. I don't update MFP until I've sustained a loss over at least 3 days (often longer). For example right now I've been bumping around between 211-214 for a whole week so my weight's stayed at 213 on here.

Like others have mentioned...it helps me to figure out "trends" and how certain meals and sodium can affect me. If I only weighed once a week I'd be paranoid that the numbers were skewed high or low. I couldn't stand that. I do miss a day occasionally if I am really tired/rushed, or if I KNOW I ate too much on a weekend night I may just wait and weigh after 1-2 days of what is normal for me.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I wake, use the restroom, run my bathwater and hop on the scale. I don't update MFP until I've sustained a loss over at least 3 days (often longer). For example right now I've been bumping around between 211-214 for a whole week so my weight's stayed at 213 on here.

Like others have mentioned...it helps me to figure out "trends" and how certain meals and sodium can affect me. If I only weighed once a week I'd be paranoid that the numbers were skewed high or low. I couldn't stand that. I do miss a day occasionally if I am really tired/rushed, or if I KNOW I ate too much on a weekend night I may just wait and weigh after 1-2 days of what is normal for me.

^^This right here .......but I weigh every morning no matter what, for logging in the workout log book .....I only look at the trends also .....
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just every am after I pee....
  • pauldix
    pauldix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weekly, occasionally in between. Always first thing in the morning.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I take a good one. I'm not affected by the ups and downs it reminds me that weight loss isn't linear because since March, I've been consistently going down overall. I kind of like seeing it go up and down, I absolutely don't stress about it. If I noticed a pattern of it consistently going up, It won't have been more than a week or 10 days so no biggie.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    day and night
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My name is Dawn and I'm addicted to my scale. It is truly a love hate relationship. I have found myself stepping on this beast of burden several times a day. I know it is unhealthy to do this and its even suggested that you skip days between jumping on ..... but I'm addicted.

So I'm wondering when do you jump on the bathroom beast?

You do know that you're going to get very little meaningful data jumping on the scale multiple times per day right? You eat something you're automatically going to weigh more because...well, food has mass and thus has weight. Drink some water...weight goes up...take a dump and a good piss...weight goes down, etc.

I weigh every morning...that's about as often as you need to do it to establish general trends...same time and same conditions. Keep in mind that you're going to still witness a lot of fluctuation day to day...you should research this and learn about natural body weight fluctuations or this is all just going to be one big mind **** for you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i do not own a scale.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Every single morning. I only look at the trends though and don't worry about gains from water retention, etc. I just feel like getting an idea everyday keeps me in check.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I have the Fitbit Aria scale, so my Fitbit (and thus my MFP) are updated with my changing weight. It is frustrating to see my MFP ticker go backwards. I know I probably wouldn't manually input my weight on MFP every day, especially for ups! It is motivating to have the ticker always current though.

I also watch trends - my scale is also linked to trendweight.com and I manually record and report a weekly weigh-in on my blog. Friday mornings are my once a week "official" weigh-in.

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/11/weekly-weigh-in-and-review.html

I have been weighing in every day for years. Unfortunately that didn't stop me from putting on 45 pounds over eight years ... I just watched it. Slow but steady. At least now I'm going in the other direction.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning after peeing :)

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Once a week as long as I'm not on my time of the month. Then I skip the weigh-in because I know there's going to be a gain and I prefer not to be frustrated by that. I've sometimes done twice a week when I've gained water weight or whatever, but no more than that.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Everyday... because trends.
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As a previous member stated. I weigh in everymorning after using the bathroom. I see the fluctiations but do not let it get my down. My weigh in days are Fridays.

Any Youfit members can join my gorup. Find a workout partner in your area and lets get healthy..