Best fish to buy to use in a pan?

Options
So I'm looking for fish I live in Missouri and I don't trust Walmart with there fish to buy. But we have plenty of places around here, what the best fish to buy to put in a pan and grill up or whatever?

I'm just starting Bodybuilding and working out in the gym.

And is this okay to do? I like fish but can't eat it without breading so here my plan.

Get some French's crunchy onions mash them up roll them or sprinkle them on the fish and put them in the pan.

I just can't eat my fish without some sort of breading. Good idea or not? Or what would be a better bread choice?

But what kinda fish should I buy that healthy and easy to cook?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea to workout and type simultaneously. j/k Breaded fish is fine, just account for the calories. Good luck with your goals.:smile:
  • glades250
    Options
    Talapia.... try panfry in olive oil and some seasoning to include some lime juice. Instead of breading try making a fish taco with this fish.. of course add your taco toppings that suit you and your needs. You can keep it pretty healthy and to me it tastes great!! can't cut everything out.. you gotta live and enjoy!!
  • AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Talapia is delicious, inexpensive and easy to cook. I would recommend using Panko Bread crumbs instead of French's Onions for breading tho. French's has 31 grams of fat per serving vs 3 grams of fat for Panko. French's also has 60mgs of sodium vs 0mgs for Panko.
    Good luck!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    you can even use cereal** or a granola bar** as the "breading" if you need too, that way you add a bit of sweetness to the mix and it changes it up a bit (plus you can account for the cal's as well)

**throw it in a bag or something and crush it to "dust" and use as a breading (if that was too clear initally)
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I like Swai fish because it doesn't smell or taste fishy. I am just not a big fish kind of person but I can flavor the swai however I want and it will just take on that flavor. I love to fry it until it is super crispy almost burnt because I don't like it to be too soft.
  • xbadacid
    Options
    For almost any kind of fish (my favorite is steel head trout) cooking parchment paper is simple, quick and easy to clean up.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28716-basic-fish-baked-in-parchment

Basically, take a 2' sheet of parchment paper, fold in 1/2 so you have a crease in the middle. Place fish on one half. Cover with spices/lemons/sauces etc. Fold the other half over and seal by folding the edges.

Place in a preheated 400 degree oven, 12min per inch of thickness.

Remove and serve. Note - It will be piping hot and steam will come out of the envelope when you cut it open.

Serve it in the paper and just throw the whole thing away when you are done.

Quick Tip
    If you can, get a filet that is the same thickness throughout. If yours does have different thickness, tuck the thin side under it's self so it equals the same thickness.

Also, I never cut it into a heart shape. Just a large circle. People also just use tinfoil.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Talapia.... try panfry in olive oil and some seasoning to include some lime juice. Instead of breading try making a fish taco with this fish.. of course add your taco toppings that suit you and your needs. You can keep it pretty healthy and to me it tastes great!! can't cut everything out.. you gotta live and enjoy!!

^^^ This. I make blackened talapia in a pan with olive oil. Heat up some corn tortillas, use spinach and add some pico... a squeeze of lime... a side of rice and charro beans.... Now that is just awesome on a plate right there.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I love fish, but I hate tilapia and swai. They just taste like nothing to me.

I prefer cod, salmon, tuna steaks, perch, trout, etc. They are all different though, and can use different cooking methods. If you don't care what it tastes like or if it has taste, I'm sure those will be fine though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tilapia is a trash fish, read up on that crap before you go out and eat it. After doing that, I won't touch it.

You're in MO? Cornmeal and catfish. Hell, you don't even need to buy it at the market I'd bet.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    tilapia is a trash fish, read up on that crap before you go out and eat it. After doing that, I won't touch it.

Can you cite your source for this?
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you search for sustainable safe fish choices you will find a number of great options, most of which are pretty tasty. A great choice is Pacific cod, it's low in contaminates, and is being sustainably fished. It's also fairly mildly flavored so is a great starting point for people who are unsure of their fishy comestibles. Generally speaking I would avoid any imported seafood. Quality control, and medication standards are not great once you leave the US. Tilapia is a great choice if it's wild and domestic (can be difficult to find) farmed tilapia can be problematic because often the tilapia is used to "clean up" the tanks of another farmed fish. Living in MO you may be able to find some terrific fresh water fish in your local markets for example most species of bass are easy to deal with, have a mild flavor and pleasing (to me anyway) texture. I would avoid bream, and perch mostly because they are small and have lots of tiny bones which can be a pain if you aren't familiar...