Week 2 of Atkins & I 'm tempted to stray....

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    its literally only chocolate i want!!! :sad:

Get some 90% or 85% dark chocolate and eat a couple of squares - 20 grams at 20% carbs or less is only 4g carbs max and it won't break the bank.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    that is my plan eventually but i literally have (realisticly) 100lbs to lose... i don't WANT to lose that much but i need this for a kickstart... to get rid of maybe 2/3 stone and then i will hit the gym hard and get back to 'a normal balanced healthy diet'... i also have back problems that i am getting sorted
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You can also try unsweetened Cocoa Powder for that chocolate craving. It is low calorie and can mix in with Skim milk or almond milk or even make a healthy shake with it! http://www.hersheys.com/pure-products/details.aspx?id=4809&name=HERSHEYS
  • nm212
    Options
    And low carb*
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    thanks for the idea! x
  • nm212
    Options
    no prob :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your quantity of high magnesium foods and see if that helps with the chocolate craving. How much are you eating of things like spinach, greens of all kind, nuts, seeds, and squash? A magnesium supplement might also help. I like magnesium citrate (also helps with keeping the digestive system moving, which can also be an issue with low carb).
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating per day and where are they coming from?
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating per day and where are they coming from?

Im literally eating protein and salad... apart from the odd atkins bar here and there so i try to stay under 30g carbs per day...
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be having cravings at that level. Are you using salad dressing? Any hidden sugars you're not capturing? How much fat are you eating? How many calories?
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Has your doctor told you to restrict some type of foods from your diet?

i know if i restrict certain food groups i get grouchy and end up binging. Everything in moderation!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I tried Atkins at least twice and South Beach also. I just can't sustain the low carb thing. Some people swear by it I know, but I feel it's just a different way of getting your calorie deficit. I love my carbs too much to give them up.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think if I had an extreme craving for chocolate (or anything else), I would eat my calorie limit of it until the craving went away. I would eat nothing but chocolate for a couple of days. I bet I'd get sick of it. :tongue:
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    argh.... so annoying... im loving the whole Atkins vibe... had great weight loss so far, but iv been doing it for 2 weeks and i dont know if its just psychological but i feel like being naughty and having some chocolate or something.... im not bothered about potatoes and bread (i have PCOS and now see them as they enemy :)) i v always had a sweet tooth and feel like munching about 10 bars in one go!!! HELLLPPPP

I am currently in the induction stage myself. I found some chocolate candies made by Atkins that are suitable for all phases. They are delicious and taste just like M&M's. Perfect for me when I am jonesing for something sweet. They are the Atkins Endulge Chocolate Candies. Only 1g Net Carbs.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be having cravings at that level. Are you using salad dressing? Any hidden sugars you're not capturing? How much fat are you eating? How many calories?

Whut?

I'm sorry but restricting things in a diet when it's not medically necessary is gonna lead to cravings
    When I say medically necessary I mean ordered by a doctor, not by what people say on the Interwebs.
    And by doctor I do NOT mean Dr. Oz...

Heck even when it's medically necessary, restricting leads to cravings that eventually leads to binging.

I rest my case, unless your doctor tells you that you need to eliminate types of food from your diet, there is no need to restrict yourself. It just builds an unhealthy relationship with food and it's not sustainable in the long run.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Whut?

I'm sorry but restricting things in a diet when it's not medically necessary is gonna lead to cravings
    When I say medically necessary I mean ordered by a doctor, not by what people say on the Interwebs.

Heck even when it's medically necessary, restricting leads to cravings that eventually leads to binging.

I rest my case, unless your doctor tells you that you need to eliminate types of food from your diet, there is no need to restrict yourself. It just builds an unhealthy relationship with food and it's not sustainable in the long run.

we get your point. It doesn't work for you. It works for some of us. You do your thing, we'll do ours.
  • Escape_Artist
    Options

Whut?

we get your point. It doesn't work for you. It works for some of us. You do your thing, we'll do ours.

If you like suffering through cravings, be my guest :laugh:

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have ZERO cravings. This style of eating fits me perfectly because I like the food I'm eating. Like I said in an earlier post, the only thing I need to be careful of is craft beer due to the high carbs, but reducing that is worth the end result. And I don't have cravings for it, it's just something I enjoy, now in more moderation than before.
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    You might not have cravings, but OP does

If you have zero cravings then it's all good for you, but most people that restrict foods they love end up craving them and in the end it is not a sustainable way of living. What works for you probably won't for someone else. Someone should not simply restrict foods because the internet says they are the enemy.
  • jmiguy
    jmiguy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why not try a balanced diet that you can maintain for the rest of your life? You can cut down on carbs, but you don't need to cut them out completely to lose weight. It is simple : Calories in / Calories out. No deprivation and can lose weight slowly and healthily.

Perfect advice!!!