C25K - counting exercise calories?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am on my 3rd week of C25K now and I noticed something odd. The app integrates with MFP so that when I finish the workout, it logs the calories burnt into MFP. However it seems to me that C25K app underestimates the calories I burnt. It shows 160-170 calories burnt during 30 minutes of brisk walking/running... And there's no way the amount is that small.

Is there a way to correct this? Or maybe the best option is to buy something like FitBit and know for sure?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

Olga

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    160 - 170 for the 3rd week isn't bad actually. A decent rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile.

C25K isn't the calorie burn people expect sometimes. The best thing to do is get a HRM and wear that when you are doing cardio. I'm not sure a really expensive pedometer, sorry I mean "activity" tracker is going to give you any more of a correct answer than the app you are using.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Agreed! 100 calories burnt per mile is a good estimate running.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If it helps at all, I just started Week 2 of C25K. I wear my heart rate monitor to track calories. I'm female, 5'11" and 166 lbs.

During Week 1 I burned about 275 calories per session.

Yesterday, on my first session of Week 2 I burned about 325.

That includes the 5 minutes warm up and 5 minute cooldown.
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess just for the sake of keeping track, I will get a heart-rate monitor. Wouldn't hurt to know for sure)
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - 160-170 seems about right for a 30 minute walk/run combo. I'm 5'6" and 143lbs and I burn about 100/mile when running according to my HRM.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty accurate to me. I burn about 100 cals per mile (actually a little less) when I run. I you are in week 3, you probably aren't covering over 2 miles are you? Whether running or walking, I have heard 100 cals per mile. I can run 3 miles in 30 min and burn about 280 cals.
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    That seems pretty accurate to me. I burn about 100 cals per mile (actually a little less) when I run. I you are in week 3, you probably aren't covering over 2 miles are you? Whether running or walking, I have heard 100 cals per mile. I can run 3 miles in 30 min and burn about 280 cals.

Yes I am only covering 2 miles so far but trying to be faster. So maybe the program is not lying!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Yes I am only covering 2 miles so far but trying to be faster. So maybe the program is not lying!

Seems like a close estimate. Run/walking for 30 min is not a huge calorie burn (but great for fitness!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am on my 3rd week of C25K now and I noticed something odd. The app integrates with MFP so that when I finish the workout, it logs the calories burnt into MFP. However it seems to me that C25K app underestimates the calories I burnt. It shows 160-170 calories burnt during 30 minutes of brisk walking/running... And there's no way the amount is that small.

Is there a way to correct this? Or maybe the best option is to buy something like FitBit and know for sure?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

Olga

The reality is that calorie burn from exercise is far less than what people would perceive it to be. If you're in week 3 then you're doing a lot of run walk intervals...so maybe 1.5 - 2 miles or so in about 30 minutes...that calorie burn fits that profile.

As others have stated, 100 calories per mile is a good estimate...it'll be a bit more if you're heavier and could be a bit less if you're lighter...but 100 calories per mile has always been a good enough estimate for me. By the by, it is all estimate...even with a HRM you won't know for sure.
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    The reality is that calorie burn from exercise is far less than what people would perceive it to be.

That is true. When I break some sweat running uphill and lose my breath, it does seem that I burn much more!