I've put on 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks....

Options
1235»

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the advice...I will be cutting back on the sugary junk and eating better and see how it goes...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This article compares the findings of three studies that explored the role of increased blood glucose in improving memory function for subjects who ate breakfast. An initial improvement in memory function for these subjects was found to correlate with blood glucose concentrations. In subsequent studies, morning fasting was found to adversely affect the ability to recall a word list and a story read aloud, as well as recall items while counting backwards. Failure to eat breakfast did not affect performance on an intelligence test. It was concluded that breakfast consumption preferentially influences tasks requiring aspects of memory. In the case of both word list recall and memory while counting backwards, the decline in performance associated with not eating breakfast was reversed by the consumption of a glucose-supplemented drink. Although a morning fast also affected the ability to recall a story read aloud, the glucose drink did not reverse this decline. It appears that breakfast consumption influences cognition via several mechanisms, including an increase in blood glucose.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/67/4/772S.short

Other similar studies exploring other effects
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822305001513
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/nsinf/fnb/2005/00000026/a00202s2/art00004

That's just scratching the surface of the research that has been done on this..

I am fully aware of cognitive processing and research on breakfast (which 90% of the research has involved children, not adults). . But we aren't talking about the OP's work ethic. We are mainly discussing why he isn't losing weight. From a weight loss process, breakfast will not improve his weight loss. If the OP feels breakfast will benefit his work, then he should go ahead and eat a better breakfast.

Also, keep one more thing in mind. A lot of these studies don't matter or coincide with the members of these types of forums. For a large part of the forums, we worked under controlled caloric conditions. So while you might have a craving - while the average person might splurge - we can make a better decision based on our food diaries. If I want pizza and can fit it in my diary, I will go ahead and eat pizza or I will do a cost benefit of pizza vs weight loss (pizza usually wins) or I will do an extra workout so I can eat more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    *shrug* ok then non-breakfast people, I guess if you're happy and healthy and feel great then do what works for you.

Do you eat large dinners? How do you wake up not hungry? Are you overweight?

Generally, or "larger" lunches/dinners then if I split calories among "3 squares" or "5-7."
    I don't wake up hungry.
    No.

Also, marry me psulemon.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    *shrug* ok then non-breakfast people, I guess if you're happy and healthy and feel great then do what works for you.

Do you eat large dinners? How do you wake up not hungry? Are you overweight?

Generally, or "larger" lunches/dinners then if I split calories among "3 squares" or "5-7."
    I don't wake up hungry.
    No.

Also, marry me psulemon.

:heart: :flowerforyou:

Hey!

:angry:

It's myfitnesspal, not mydatingpal.

Geesh.

C'mon, people.

( :wink: )