Supplements

Options
I just started tracking the vitamins/supplements I take. I guess I didn't realize that some had calories. Anyway, my diary is open. I'm wondering if there is good supplement out there that I should be taking. I haven't drank milk all of my life--so I have to have my calcium. Am I going a bit overboard with the other items? I just don't have a very balanced diet because I don't like fish, turkey, pork, and so many other things that you can naturally find in foods. Let me know what you think:

Glucosamine Chondroitin Triple Strength
Biotin
Calcium
Fish Oil
Multivitamin for Women
Super B Complex

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I'd say glucosamine is a waste of time/money. Fish oil is good for omega 3, but a fish oil supplement doesn't necessarily have much omega 3 in it, so be wary of that. Vitamin D3 can be good to supplement, particularly if you live somewhere without too much sun. Most supplements aren't really needed, especially if you have a varied, balanced diet. If it's only really meat that you think you are lacking then the only thing you may be missing is protein, but it depends on how much you are getting from other sources and how much you are looking to consume.
    If you ever wonder if a supplement is worth it, there's a website called examine which collects all the research on each supplement so you know what you're getting.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A physiotherapist I saw a couple of years ago told me that Glucosamine Sulphate *is* beneficial, but only if you take 1500 mg per day ( I presume that this the triple strength one!)
  • apachebat
    apachebat Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would suggest forming a plan with your Dr.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I take quite a bit of supplements too. I'm taking daily a mulvitamin, calcium supplemant, omega 3, and a fiber pill at night. I'm taking the fiber pills because I'm not currently eating pasta and bread so I need a little fiber boost to keep everything regular.

Not familiar with Glucosamine Chondroitin Triple Strength so I have no advice for that one. The biotin might be overkill. Are you taking it for a paticular reason? (Brittle nails/hair loss/ skin rash/diabetes?)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I take the Glucosamine Chondroitin because (due to not drinking milk all my life) I broke both bones in my left leg. My surgeon told me I should start taking it. Then I started running and was having issues so I just started taking it within the last month.

I will check out the website. I don't want to just make expensive urine :frown: