Do you track your veggies??

Options
I have done weight watchers plenty of times and you dont have to count vegetables at all?? HOw important is it to count lettuce,cucumbers and tomatoes??? just curious if it really makes a difference

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things to me is fiber, so yes, I track all vegetables.

Some vegetables have a lot of calories. Cucumbers and tomatoes probably aren't going to make much difference.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    If it goes into my mouth I count it regardless of if its just lettuce
  • persistandendure
    Options
    Calories are calories...I track EVERYTHING!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so I guess I don't see how not counting them makes sense. They are low in calories, but in the end its still calories in calories out.

*shrug*
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW too. It took a bit to get used to having to track the 80 calories that were in an apple. Every calorie makes a difference.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Track everything. Everything.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I track the cups of spinach I use for salads and smoothies. However, If I have a couple slivers of cucumbers and a few grape tomatoes then no, sometimes I'll just wrap em all into a bundle and estimate say 20 cals and quick tool them into my diary.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Always track your fruit though, higher in sugar and cals....so they're not "free".
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you are like many MFPers the occasional half cup of vegetables won't make much difference, even though I personally think that it is important to log everything we eat. If you eat however the recommended 7-11 portions of veggies each day then that can make a difference of a couple of hundred calories a day, which can add up to 2 pounds worth of calories ( 7000 ) a month.
    I think if you want to do MFP you need to forget about WW, or stick to WW if it worked fine for you. Taking the rules of one and applying them to the other usually does not work in your favor.
    I log everything, count calories, which means I eat at a deficit and together with modest exercise have lost 40 pounds since April 10th .
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If it goes into my mouth I count it regardless of if its just lettuce

^that. :smile: I even log my tea (even though it doesn't have any calories, as well as the 1/2 tsp of honey that I put in it). If it touches my tongue, I log it. :happy:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Weight watcher is not MFP. Here you count calories to achieve a deficit. If you don't count your veggies, it would eat into your calorie deficit, which would be pointless.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I count them because I like having proof I ate them. :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I count everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers plenty of times and you dont have to count vegetables at all?? HOw important is it to count lettuce,cucumbers and tomatoes??? just curious if it really makes a difference

WW =/= calorie counting. WW uses a point system where they can make certain things "free" by over charging points on other things you eat. Calorie counting is calorie counting...if it has calories you count it. That said, if I pop a cherry tomato into my mouth or something I probably won't go run and log it...but on average I eat a good 200 - 300 calories worth of veg and fruit per day...so yeah, I frackin' count that.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The only things I skip tracking are diet soda, dried herbs or pepper if I'm just adding a pinch to something, and sometimes hot sauce, if I'm only using a little. Otherwise, track everything!
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    if you bite it, you write it :)
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I usually don't bother if it is tomatoes or cucumber and salad etc., unless I had the more calorific veggies potato, corn, pumpkin
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I count them because I am determined to hit my fibre goal each day- veggies certainly help with that.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies aren't magical foods. The calories count. Count everything. /thread
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Of course fiber is very important for weight loss and they got it going on!