Guilty free fried chicken?

Options
Ok so me and my husband went to our friends and for dinner she made fried chicken with rice and beans..it smelled delicious but i know that it was very very unhealthy. Me and my husband are both puerto rican so fried food is what we love, but i refuse to cook it. My husband kept talking about how great it was and how i dont cook like that but i have my reasons and he understands. I would like to try and bring some of the fried foods back but in a healthy way. How should i do it where it tastes almost the same as the real dish? I would love some help on this. Oh and if you have any tips on cooking rice, she put oil in her rice when she cooked it and i dont do that with my brown rice, but im thinking that is why its always hard?? I would love to enjoy my brown rice cooked lol, and no matter how long i cook it with the water its always always hard.
Thank you!!!!

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I make sometimes I take skinless chicken pieces, soak in buttermilk, roll in wholewheat crumbs (homemade) and then back the chicken in the oven and it's a good substitute for fried. You add whatever spices that you like to the breadcrumbs. I really dislike brown rice, but I like it better when I use more water that called for and it gets alot softer. I have been using a rice cooker and when the rice is done I add a little more boiling water and turn the cooker on again. Hope this helps.
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Instead of frying the chicken, bread it and then bake it. You will still get the breading you like and it will seal in the juices, plus you don't get all of the grease from the extra oils.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I take my chicken, shake it in breadcrumbs (i prefer french bread crumbs) and what ever spices you want and bake it. I don't use anything to coat the chicken but if you want the crumbs to stick more, roll the chicken in whipped eggs first...for some reason it's the only way my family will eat drumsticks
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear the results on this because fried chicken is my weakness!
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Ok that sounds like a good idea. I have never even thought about making my own bread crumbs! I dont care for the brown rice either but i heard it was way better for you then the white rice thats why we eat it. Thank you
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this before but I hadn't come across the recipe until this morning when I was eating breakfast, but on the back of my cornflakes box was a recipe for chicken......It sounded good so I think I will try it this week!

http://www2.kelloggs.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?id=1058
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    A trick with your brown rice... do no add salt, broth or sodium of any kind. If you insist on using chicken broth, use a low sodium kind. For some reason, with brown rice, the more sodium you use, the longer you have to cook it. I don't know why this is, but it is.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ive done the cereal on before and It is really good.
    I think I need to pick up some chicken this week now. :)
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tried the Kellogs on my "fake Fried" chicken and it turned out AWFUL! tasted terrible to me!
  • starlitkate
    starlitkate Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    www.allrecipes.com has a awesome Spicy Oven Fried Chicken recipe among others.Only 394 for a serving. One serving with a cup or two of veggies would be good. Always about portion control.
    Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Oven-Fried-Chicken/Detail.aspx
  • brefreme
    brefreme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try the Kellogs chicken recipe; it looks good. I'll try anything once! lol Thanks, all!
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I personally love the Kellogg recipe! I put 1 serving size of Special K in a bag and mash it up as desired. Then roll the chicken in it and bake! it still has the "fried" feeling and its so much better for you :o)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this....
  • tifffanyD
    tifffanyD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out parboiled rice? I eat this and it's good and easy to cook.
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this....

Me too :o)