I need to up my milk supply for my nursing 10 month old.

Options
My 10 month old has stopped gaining weight and the pediatrician we seen today (which let me make clear is not our usual pedi) is pushing me to give him table foods and more baby food, and juices. I DO NOT believe I should give him juice. It is all sugar and I believe it is a path that can cause diabetes. Which runs in my family already. I also believe that baby food at this age is for PRACTICE only. It is NOT for nutrients. Breast milk has more calories, ounce for ounce then any baby food.

So I was talking to a lady and she suggested I try upping my supply and see if he will nurse more if he knows there is more there. And then maybe he will gain more weight.

So I need some suggestions on how to up my supply. Is there any foods that could help? Someone said tea? What kind of tea?

OK I AM NOT ASKING FOR ANYONES OPINION ON MY CHOICE REGARDING GIVING MY CHILD SOLIDS. THIS IS A CHOICE I HAVE RESEARCHED AND TALKED TO OUR PEDI ABOUT, AND IT IS MY RIGHT AS A PARENT TO MAKE THAT CHOICE.
I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE ON HOW TO UP MY SUPPLY. IF YOU HAVE NO SUGGESTIONS FOR THAT, THEN THAT IS FINE. I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP EXPLAINING OR DEFENDING MY CHOICES WHEN IT COMES TO SOLIDS.
I HAVE DONE THE RESEARCH AND I KNOW THAT BREAST MILK IS THE BEST THING FOR HIM AND HE DOES NOT I REPEAT NOOOOTTTTTTT NEED BABY FOOD AT THIS AGE. I respect everyones choices to parent THEIR kids how they want and how they see fit- please have the same respect

Replies

• Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've heard of fenugreek being good for mother's milk supply. Research it. I hope it helps.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not know anything about breast feeding or upping your supply, I never breastfed my children. But I do know that feeding your child baby food at this point is perfectly ok and can help with the weight gain. Both of my children I started on baby food at the age of 4 months and both were eating a variety of table foods by 10 months old. Neither of them are over weight or have any health problems from it what so ever. They both are right on track and gained as much weight as their dr wanted them to. If you don't have any luck with the breastfeeding I would go ahead and give baby food a try. It can only help. Good luck!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Have you cut your calories? You might try increasing them if it's impacted your supply. I think the tea is called mother's milk tea. I'm not a mom, have never been, but have a ton of friends with kids and they've had supply issues and those things worked for them.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've heard of fenugreek being good for mother's milk supply. Research it. I hope it helps.

i second this. I've heard lots off good thing about it from other mother that bf. By 10 months my children were eating table food and bf . I also made my own baby food. Of course this is your child and you should do what you see fit for them.
  • charky2002
    charky2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking LOTS of water (at least 10 cups), fenugreek, and mothers milk tea can all help your supply. Good Luck! I'm currently breastfeeding my 7 month old and it is by far the best thing for them for the first year!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I know that breast feeding is just like working out and you need to eat those calories in order to keep your supply up! Other then that, I have little advice! I know there are all natural juices out there but I understand your concerns. I didn't know there was a mom's tea out there! That is very interesting! :o)
  • bbmumma
    bbmumma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lots of water, frequent feedings both sides, weleda makes a nursing tea that you can also buy online which i found helped as well some have suggested brewers yeast although some felt baby is more gassy with the brewer's yeast good luck!
  • thefallguy
    Options
    A baby should only drink formula/breast milk until 6 months of age, then you should introduce rice cereal, and by his age you should include baby foods.

Breast milk IS great for an infant, but as the child grows, they need to eat meals. Breast milk is ideal especially in newborns because it has EVERYTHING they need, but as they age they need other sources, because it's no longer enough for them. I suggest you introduce VEGETABLES to him. The problem most mothers have is an infant that prefers fruits to vegetables because they are, of course, sweeter. So peas, and carrots, and yummy veggie baby foods are your best bet. I agree that fruit juice is not a good idea, especially not yet. You are a good momma bear wanting the best for your baby! It's great that you're looking out for what's best for him.

As far as drinks go, water, and milk are always the best. Fruit juices are up there, but by now you should be washing his mouth before bed and after he wakes. Never let him fall asleep with a bottle of fruit juice!! Give him water! And ask your usual pediatrician for advice, let him know your concerns. They can't read minds, so it's up to you to be your child's advocate!
  • AMANDAHUEBNER
    Options
    I did not nurse any of my boys (i have 3) but with our third now he's 20 months old he drink stage 2 formula so if your worried mybe you could try supllementing with some formula.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek really helps I used them when I was nursing my kids and my supply was really good. I would not recommend giving your baby juice baby food is fine my kids starting eating baby food at 6 months and I was still nursing them. The tea is called Mothers Milk tea and any health store carries them.

If you are dropping your calories too much that affects your milk supply. To be honest with you even though I wanted to loose weight I did not start cutting calories until now that I am done nursing, for that same reason I did not now my milk supply to be affected.

The fenugreek you are supposed to take 3 pills 3 times a day one drawback is that you will start smelling like syrup :) Good luck
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    fenugreek and there is something else all natural that I can't think of!! It's on the tip of my tongue! Might want to contact La Leche, I bet they would know. Yes, lots of water and maybe pumping in between feedings? I remember the nurses telling me that would increase my supply.

Juice! Ha!
  • DigitalRain
    Options
    I agree with your pediatrician, You can't expect baby to gain weight on breast milk alone. Since your child is approaching a year old (and is whole lot more active at this age than in the earlier months) its time for something solid. I breastfed for 8 months and to tell you the truth it just wasn't enough to just breastfeed. He had to have soild food and he pretty much weaned himself . He always ran under the national weight average for his age but when solid food was introduced he picked up more weight. Breast milk can only provide so much. Its time for a solid meal and you can always supplement with milk.

Also take in consideration how fast breast milk is digested in their systems, a lot more faster than formula even. If baby is super active, is breast milk really enough to sustain his/her activity?
  • Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Options
    I honestly do not know anything about breast feeding or upping your supply, I never breastfed my children. But I do know that feeding your child baby food at this point is perfectly ok and can help with the weight gain. Both of my children I started on baby food at the age of 4 months and both were eating a variety of table foods by 10 months old. Neither of them are over weight or have any health problems from it what so ever. They both are right on track and gained as much weight as their dr wanted them to. If you don't have any luck with the breastfeeding I would go ahead and give baby food a try. It can only help. Good luck!
    Holding off on solids is just a personal choice. But adding solids will not help him gain weight. There is not as many calories in baby food as there is in breast milk and I am not willing to drop nursing sessions with him just to add solids, which at this age are not needed
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my daughter until she was 16 months old, and I am still nursing my 11 month old. I also believe that table foods are more for practice and do not count on them to fully nourish my son as long as I can breastfeed him. I have heard of several things to help boost your milk supply.

Make sure to eat ALL of your calories. When I first started working out my milk supply went way, way down. Don't forgot to allow yourself 300-500 calories, especially if your baby is still nursing for all meals/snacks/bedtimes. I just reduced my calories to around 100-200 since my son is not eating as much any more. I can feel my supply starting to diminish a bit, but since he will be turning one shortly, I'm not very concerned. He mainly nurses for the comfort.

I have heard of Fenugreek, I have a friend who swears by it. But my doctor told me that it really only helps establish your supply in the beginning, that it doesn't rebuild your supply. So, I guess it would have to be trial and error for you.

I have also heard of Mother's Milk Tea. I don't know if it works first hand, but again, I have a few mommy friends who love it and also think that it works.

Stay hydrated! I noticed that once I was really into a good workout routine, eating all of my calories, and staying hydrated my milk supply went back up. You also know that the more your baby eats, or the more you pump, that your body will naturally restore the milk. I have also heard that pumping between feedings can help, but I never was one for pumping.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding a child until 1, and supplemental breastfeeding until 2.

Another good website for nursing moms is www.kellymom.com

Good Luck!!
  • AmberElaine84
    Options
    I also wanted to tell you GOOD FOR YOU! What a GREAT choice you have made for your baby!! There are a lot of people who don't understand/support the benefits of nursing and attachment parenting. What a bond we share with our babies!! :heart:
  • Hughes39
    Options
    A baby should only drink formula/breast milk until 6 months of age, then you should introduce rice cereal, and by his age you should include baby foods.

Breast milk IS great for an infant, but as the child grows, they need to eat meals. Breast milk is ideal especially in newborns because it has EVERYTHING they need, but as they age they need other sources, because it's no longer enough for them. I suggest you introduce VEGETABLES to him. The problem most mothers have is an infant that prefers fruits to vegetables because they are, of course, sweeter. So peas, and carrots, and yummy veggie baby foods are your best bet. I agree that fruit juice is not a good idea, especially not yet. You are a good momma bear wanting the best for your baby! It's great that you're looking out for what's best for him.

As far as drinks go, water, and milk are always the best. Fruit juices are up there, but by now you should be washing his mouth before bed and after he wakes. Never let him fall asleep with a bottle of fruit juice!! Give him water! And ask your usual pediatrician for advice, let him know your concerns. They can't read minds, so it's up to you to be your child's advocate!
    No, a baby should not drink breast milk until only 6 months. There is no need for a baby under 1 year to have baby food. EVERYTHING they need is in breast milk. jar foods are for practice. I have spoken to out normal pedi about this and he agrees, and supports this decision. He has suggested I give solids but he has also made it clear that it is NOT required and not NEEDED. If I had seem him today, I'm sure he would have given me suggestions of things I could do other then adding solids. but since I couldnt see him today, I will have to wait for his advice until our next appt.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I did not nurse any of my boys (i have 3) but with our third now he's 20 months old he drink stage 2 formula so if your worried mybe you could try supllementing with some formula.
    I've never even heard of stage 2 formula- but formula is not an option. I want my child getting breast milk only.
  • Joscelle
    Options
    I nursed 2 daughters through 2.5 years and am currently night-nursing my 19 month old boy. Rest, oatmeal, and red meat were really helped me when I felt supply was going down. Getting enough sleep is next to impossible with a baby, but try to get more naps in.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Fenugreek really helps I used them when I was nursing my kids and my supply was really good. I would not recommend giving your baby juice baby food is fine my kids starting eating baby food at 6 months and I was still nursing them. The tea is called Mothers Milk tea and any health store carries them.

If you are dropping your calories too much that affects your milk supply. To be honest with you even though I wanted to loose weight I did not start cutting calories until now that I am done nursing, for that same reason I did not now my milk supply to be affected.

The fenugreek you are supposed to take 3 pills 3 times a day one drawback is that you will start smelling like syrup :) Good luck
    I actually haven't even been counting calories lately so I'm not sure how much i'm getting
    Where can i find the fenugreek?
  • AmberElaine84
    Options

I actually haven't even been counting calories lately so I'm not sure how much i'm getting
    Where can i find the fenugreek?

Most health stores carry it. I think GNC carries it as well.