Fitness for the exercise reluctant

Options
2»

Replies

• jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I sold my car six months ago and started walking to work. I walk about five miles a day and I really like it. It's peaceful and some excellent me time-- it's a good way to get moving without feeling physically uncomfortable. I'm planning on starting the C25K program soon, but for me just regular walking (I average 19 minute miles, so not speed walking or anything) and it's a great calorie burner.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to go to the gym to exercise. Since you're not used to exercise, just start off small. Add steps by parking further away from the store, turn on some music while cleaning the house, dance around, play with your kids, if you have any, go for a walk outside, if you have a store near you, within walking distance, the next time you need something, walk there instead of driving. Personally, I was never the type to really like exercise either. I started out doing zumba in the circuit at a Curves facility, and loved it. Unfortunately, they closed down, but my group and I followed our instructor to a local gym, so now we do it there. I was used to doing the hydraulic machines at curves, but now I've stepped up my weights by going bigger and heavier. Now I've even gone a step further, and started the most awesome book ever, New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. Never thought I'd like lifting weights so much, personally, but I do! I've always loved to dance, so the Zumba love's no surprise to me. Lol. Anything that gets you moving is considered exercise, and you'd be surprised how much it can add up throughout the day. I also have a Bodymedia, that tracks how many calories I burn all day, I have to wear it all the time, but I'm used to it, and hardly notice it now. It makes me want to exercise more, to burn more calories, so that's a plus. :) Good luck OP! :D
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I see what you are driving at but ultimately it is just as I said. I don't like it. I don't enjoy it and resent wasting hours of my week doing an activity I dislike when there are alternatives out there to it. I just wanted suggestions for alternative ways to get exercise. The horse riding I gave as an example. I don't do it for exercise purposes, I do it because I enjoy it but it turns out it is also very good exercise and burns a lot of calories. I'm just wondering what other things there are that could have a similar result. I'm not too worried about the whole "diet" aspect, yes I still have a lot of weight to lose but having lost over 5 stone, maintained it for a year without effort and now trying to lose the rest, I figure I have that aspect in hand. I am aware that I need to do more in terms of fitness though. There is just no point forcing myself to do something I hate, I know myself well enough to know I won't commit and will find excuses to get out of it.

Diet will only get you so far, if you're not willing to do anything physical at all. Only you can make the change. You can take small steps until you get to your goal. Perhaps once you lose more weight, you won't hate exercise quite as much. Anyone can make excuses, but they won't get you very far.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You either really want it or you don't

The end
  • ReikiLove
    ReikiLove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking 30 minutes a day, working my way up to an hour within about 4 weeks. I wasn't used to exercise either, but after a point, it was much easier to use the treadmill, I would speed it up from 3.5 mph to 3.8 mph. It's all about baby steps. When my weight began to plateau, I shook things up by adding 15 minutes of spinning to my workout. Now I do my hour on the treadmill along with 30 minutes of spinning. I've lost 16 lbs and I'm finding I'm more energized that I was when I was in high school. I'm on the way to my high school weight and I'm not looking back.

I wish you lots of luck. Just keep your eyes on the prize and keep going.