What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options

Replies

• katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry and getting the shakes clearly your body isn't getting what it needs to function.

Have a nice big glass of water and as someone suggested a piece of fruit and some protein. I always look at it that even if you go over your calories as long as you have made good food choices it won't affect you to much.

I always have a snack about 3pm could be 50g of chicken, ham, tuna or a hard boiled egg and if I'm going to the gym and I'm still hungry i will have a banana or an apple something to get me through.

You should never feel hungry or starve your body of food and nutrients.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Drink some warm water & embrace the hunger feeling. You could have been eating just for the sake of eating. So many people on here eat just because they see the time of day & think they need to eat at that time. Drink the warm water & wait 20 mins, then do it again. My bet is that you are not hungry at all.

Then wait till dinner, know what hunger feels like so then when you feel it again you know it's real hunger & not just 'time' to eat.

Horrible, horrible advice. This is the type of advice anorexics give to each other.

If you are shaking, you need to eat! Shaking is what happens to me right before I hit the deck because my blood sugar has dropped to a dangerous level. Passing out is never fun.

I agree with those who suggest you may have your allowance set too low.

Excuse me? I fast. I shake often, but I am far from needing to eat. I'm far from anorexic either. I can shake the moment I wake up. OP said she is not diabetic, so that rules out passing out from not eating sugar.

What is horrible advice to you? The drinking water part & waiting to see if OP is really hungry or just eating because they think they need to at the time, or the part where waiting to see if you are hungry rather than eating because of a time of day?
  • definitely do not let yourself get to the shakiness point. not only is it not healthy, but that means your body will start to go into starvation mode and that's about the worst thing you can do for losing weight. try and break up your food intake through out the day. instead of eating big breakfast and big lunch, eat a decent breakfast and small meals through until dinner.

and as far as the water thing...no. if you are "head hungry" just for the sake of eating that's one thing. but when you have the shakes that is your body telling you that you need something in it. do not just ignore that.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you "allowed" to eat until dinner? My advice: eat when you are hungry. You will make better food choices when you are not starving, but merely "hungry". So that is when you should eat.

Also, if you just signed up and said you wanted to lose 2 pounds, you might have been set to 1,200. Maybe people do not find this to be enough. Also, you said you exercised, did you eat those calories back?
  • im sorry but I disagree with you as well. head hunger is what you're talking about and that does not bring the shakes. shaking and light headedness is a PHYSICAL response.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Drink some warm water & embrace the hunger feeling. You could have been eating just for the sake of eating. So many people on here eat just because they see the time of day & think they need to eat at that time. Drink the warm water & wait 20 mins, then do it again. My bet is that you are not hungry at all.

Then wait till dinner, know what hunger feels like so then when you feel it again you know it's real hunger & not just 'time' to eat.

Horrible, horrible advice. This is the type of advice anorexics give to each other.

If you are shaking, you need to eat! Shaking is what happens to me right before I hit the deck because my blood sugar has dropped to a dangerous level. Passing out is never fun.

Excuse me? I fast. I shake often, but I am far from needing to eat. I'm far from anorexic either. I can shake the moment I wake up. OP said she is not diabetic, so that rules out passing out from not eating sugar.

What is horrible advice to you? The drinking water part & waiting to see if OP is really hungry or just eating because they think they need to at the time, or the part where waiting to see if you are hungry rather than eating because of a time of day?

OP never said anything about eating because it was a certain time. In fact, she said she wasn't supposed to eat because it wasn't dinner yet.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My guess is you think you need less than you do. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • mjmerris
    Options
    I do have type 2 and just found out a yr ago but found that if I mix a 1/3 cup of silk choc almond milk with 1/2 cup of lactose free milk that satiates for hours. I also drink about 56 oz of water a day.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Personally, I think if you are getting the shakes often, see a doctor. Eat more. It's not a healthy sign.
    And diabetics are NOT the only ones who pass out from blood sugar imbalances. Anyone can have hypoglycemic episodes for any variety of reasons.
    The drink water and wait 20 minutes is good, esp for people that are used to eating for the sake of eating..but you do not need to drink water and wait 20 minutes again, again,again. Just once. Just for 20 minutes. Then eat something if symptoms still persist after the initial 20 minutes.

Your advice could make someone very sick. Hypoglycemia is not always diagnosed right away and can happen to anyone even if they do not have diabetes or hypoglycemia.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

This might actually be the worst advice I've ever seen on these boards...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Probably the part where the OP describes a physical reaction to hunger, might have been about to pass out, and you're telling her that she doesn't know what hunger feels like. The OP did not say that she felt the need to eat because of the time of day. She was shaking. That is not a response to being bored or thinking one needs to eat because of the time of day. That is low blood sugar.

ETA: Not being diabetic does not rule out passing out from low blood sugar, FYI.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and waiting is good advice only if you're prone to boredom eating, and even then if you wait 10 minutes and are still hungry you're supposed to eat anyway. If you're shaking, you need to eat. No questions.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

OP never said anything about eating because it was a certain time. In fact, she said she wasn't supposed to eat because it wasn't dinner yet.

Actually that would assume at a particular TIME to eat dinner. Hell I have dinner at 10pm if that is when I'm hungry. Also don't most people assume 3pm to be 'hunger time'? http://www.nourishedhealth.com/end-3pm-slump-cravings/

It happens to everyone at 3pm. Does not mean you are actually hungry at all.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I do have blood sugar issues, and the shakes are NOT GOOD!! NOBODY should be shaking. Shaking is BAD! I get the shakes right before I'm in danger of passing out. At that moment I need fast acting sugar followed by a slow burn protein to make sure I DON'T pass out. To avoid this, I personally need to eat at regular intervals with a focus being on sustained protein. I ignored the shakes for quite some time. Blood work always SAID I was normal. It took having my thyroid tested by a real endocrinologist and a detailed medical history to prove I was hypoglycemic because the blood work said no.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just started using MFP and did really well yesterday and most of today. However I had a meltdown this afternoon. About 3 o'clock I started getting really shaky. (I do not have diabetes or any know sugar issues). I had logged all my food for the day and wasn't supposed to eat until dinner. I did have enough for a small low fat cheese snack. I ate the cheese and it didn't help quickly enough. Then I started eating everything in sight. I am so mad at myself. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this? I am wondering if I need to do a sugar detox - focus on a lower carb diet for a while? When I have done Weight Watchers, you are allowed as many fruits/veggies as you want so if you get hungry you can "binge" on these and not go over your daily calorie allotment. Since I knew I had to count the calories not matter what, I made some bad choices.....darn Halloween candy! Ugh I am so frustrated. I feel like I have wasted my entire day. I am thankful that I exercised today. Thoughts?

How many calories are you eating a day?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I haven't felt the shakes in a long time. Thinking about it, I realize that's because my diet is so much more balanced now. I used to not get enough protein and eat too many carbs. Then I'd go on a "diet" and cut back on calories, but carbs tend to just give you quick energy so you get hungrier faster than if you eat more protein. So based on my personal experience and my limited knowledge of nutrition, eat more protein! If you're getting at least 20g of protein per meal, chances are you won't get the shakes when you're hungry. Good luck. :)
  • anewday23
    anewday23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your sugar is in check? Having gestational diabetes (I do right now) increases the chances that you will have problems with diabetes again.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just started using MFP and did really well yesterday and most of today. However I had a meltdown this afternoon. About 3 o'clock I started getting really shaky. (I do not have diabetes or any know sugar issues). I had logged all my food for the day and wasn't supposed to eat until dinner. I did have enough for a small low fat cheese snack. I ate the cheese and it didn't help quickly enough. Then I started eating everything in sight. I am so mad at myself. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this? I am wondering if I need to do a sugar detox - focus on a lower carb diet for a while? When I have done Weight Watchers, you are allowed as many fruits/veggies as you want so if you get hungry you can "binge" on these and not go over your daily calorie allotment. Since I knew I had to count the calories not matter what, I made some bad choices.....darn Halloween candy! Ugh I am so frustrated. I feel like I have wasted my entire day. I am thankful that I exercised today. Thoughts?

You don't need to "detox" anything, and you don't need to go low carb...what you do need is to open your diary if you want real suggestions.

I would agree that if you are actually shaking, you need to eat.

If you share your stats (height and weight) that will also help people guide you.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    your on the right track, the fact that your aware. it's all about getting back to it or rebound if you will. if your starting, then don't expect that you have the same control to those whos been doing it for awhile.