Metformin (glucophage) and loss of appetite

Options
Hi there....Anyone going through same problem as mine..i am on 500mg per day metformin (glucophage) tablet due to some medical issue since a month and i have noticed because of it, i have lost my appetite and don;t feel like eating anything.So, what you people suggest to get rid of this side effect of metformin??

Replies

• ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty common side effect, and one of the reasons doctor's like to use it. It may return, so give it a few weeks. Speak to your doctor about it if you feel it's a total loss of appetite.

Just out of curiosity what is your craving like for carbohydrate rich foods now? The reason I ask is metformin is great at helping to increase some of the insulin sensitivity in your body and sometimes that takes away the desire for sugary foods because your cells are finally being fueled correctly. Correctly fueled cells=less hungry.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah, give it a few weeks. I'm on 500 twice a day. I don't get crazy craving for chocolate or Pepsi nearly as often anymore. And wasn't as hungry for a while.... I ended up eating often times for the sake of eating, not because I was hungry.

Although if you didn't already know.... Make sure you know where bathrooms are wherever you go until your body adapts and you figure out trigger foods the meds don't like. I know for me personally, I couldn't eat Kraft dinner for a year, it made me incredibly sick. Other pastas did as well, just not as bad. My brother couldn't eat kd after he was prescribed metformin as well.

Happily I can report that I can eat KD now without becoming I'll. :)