Accurate Logging???

Options
2»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing =/= accurate (especially sauces)

^^ This

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. Use a food scale. Use the recipe builder. It's not rocket surgery.

Sometimes with the recipe building, one has to have all the recipe consumed before being able to figure out how many servings were in it. There you go- a problem!

Weight your pot/pan/container(A). cook food. Weigh again(B). Subtract first weight from second weight.(C) Divide by however many servings you think you're gonna have(D), OR dole out a serving, weigh that(E). Divide C by E and get the number of servings you have.

For example I make soup. My pot is 200 grams. When done the soup+pot weights in at 1100g, meaning I have 900g of soup. I want that bad boy to feed four people. 900/4=225g per serving.

Boom, done.

I'll do one better for you (I do this with some things- not all) Put the number of grams as the number of servings!

That way, you can have as much or as little as you like without all the math, LOL!

Why have I never thought of this?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^ This

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. Use a food scale. Use the recipe builder. It's not rocket surgery.

Sometimes with the recipe building, one has to have all the recipe consumed before being able to figure out how many servings were in it. There you go- a problem!

Weight your pot/pan/container(A). cook food. Weigh again(B). Subtract first weight from second weight.(C) Divide by however many servings you think you're gonna have(D), OR dole out a serving, weigh that(E). Divide C by E and get the number of servings you have.

For example I make soup. My pot is 200 grams. When done the soup+pot weights in at 1100g, meaning I have 900g of soup. I want that bad boy to feed four people. 900/4=225g per serving.

Boom, done.

I'll do one better for you (I do this with some things- not all) Put the number of grams as the number of servings!

That way, you can have as much or as little as you like without all the math, LOL!

this is what I usually do.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

won't the roundoff problems in the diary calculations make this method unreliable?

for example, if you make 1000g of soup and want to count 1g as a serving, you're going to have a small (much less than zero) number for the amount of protein and fats and carbs in each serving, which MFP will simply approximate as 0. so even if you then logged 1000 servings, you'll end up with 0 for all of your macros. i seem to recall running into this problem before.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

^^ This

I don't worry about "servings" per se.

I weigh the total finished product, and divide the total calories into that, which gives me 1) calories per gram.

When it's time to eat, weigh whatever amount you serve yourself (of course) and multiply what you eat by the result obtained in 1.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Can I just say that I love you right now? I am terrible with math and you just saved me quite a bit of time on calculations!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

won't the roundoff problems in the diary calculations make this method unreliable?

for example, if you make 1000g of soup and want to count 1g as a serving, you're going to have a small (much less than zero) number for the amount of protein and fats and carbs in each serving, which MFP will simply approximate as 0. so even if you then logged 1000 servings, you'll end up with 0 for all of your macros. i seem to recall running into this problem before.

it displays rounded numbers. The decimal places are still there in the calculations. I haven't encountered any noticeable issues with this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

same
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

Why have I never thought of this?

Whoops! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!!!!lol. Too much focus on losing weight i guess.....lol
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    RyanRenolyds-SlySmile.gif

I just...want to watch his face all day.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    RyanRenolyds-SlySmile.gif

I just...want to watch his face all day.

I just...want to do other things to his face all day.
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

This is what I do also.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle due to ambiguity. It often doesn't say if these calories apply to a pound of chicken before it's cooked, or after it's cooked. Or if the calories listed for a grapefruit of 250 grams are meant for a peeled or unpeeled grapefruit...obviously it weighs less after you peel it. Or sometimes they list the diameter, too. SOME GRAPEFRUITS HAVE REALLY THICK SKIN AND I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO MEASURE THE PEELED FRUIT OR THE ENTIRE THING!!

Other than that, I'm fine.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

^^ This

Boom, done.

We need to be friends. You have changed my life.