is my workout down the drain because of this?

Options
Hi ,
okay so today I woke up , went to breadco and had a half a salad , half a turkey sandwitch, and some chips. for dinner i had a tuna salad sandwitch and some cauliflower with cheese. I went to the gym and went on the crossramp (kinda like an elyptical) and burned 200 calories, and then around 200 on the treadmill. plus i did some weight training with some 10 pound weights and some squats. I came home hurting and i was hungry so i ate half a cup of greek yogurt (serving size is one cup) with some cinnamon on top, some raisins, and a little bit of peanut butter mixed in. I would like to know if the greek yogurt and other stuff mixed in with it will prettymuch make my workout a waste because i ate it after i worked out at 9pm ? Thanks.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No.
  • markbme
    markbme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    there's no law against eating after a workout... if you didn't go over your calorie goal for the day then you're fine, assuming your goal is weight loss.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    no. don't worry your are fine.
    Actually you need to eat before and after a workout.
    Before: carbs give you energy to exercise.
    After:carbs and Proteins will be needed to "repair" the muscles (don't worry it is normal process our muscles go to get toned!) and carbs to refurnished your body sugard. and plus it helps for muscle soreness afterward.

So yes iti s actually agood idea to eat after. The only thing is you have to makesure toleave room for sure in you don'tpaln to eat back your exercise calories though!.It needs to Fits your macros.

Me i eat back all my calories so i really don't worry about eating after a workout. but i eat my supper and what left of calories as a post-workout snack!
  • my calorie intake is 1,200 but i ate around 1, 450. is that bad.?
  • IMO that was a very smart snack and healthy for you ! Wow I a so impressed by that smart lady recommending a post and pre w/o snack I do that daily and usually complex cards pre and mid range carbs post ! That is after an intense weight lifting session and the mid level carbs replinish the muscles that were torn down in the lifting session ! Best advice I have read yet on this forum ! You got it going on !
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No. The idea that eating at certain times of day will cause you to gain weight is a myth. Barring a health problem, the only thing that matters is consuming less calories than you burn.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    my calorie intake is 1,200 but i ate around 1, 450. is that bad.?

If you have 1,200 calories set as your daily amount here on MFP, thats your NET. So, you should have eaten 1,200 plus your workout calories, +200, +200 = 1,600. Since MFP over estimates, its a good idea to eat about 80% to 2/3rds of that for a week to see if you are losing more or less than anticipated and adjust up or down. So you were just about perfect and on track (400*2/3 = about 270, 1200+270=1470). Plus listen to Buzzard and Dia above too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I eat a 500 and something calorie breakfast of Red Mill Oatmeal with peanut butter and fruit and cocoanut milk and a homemade mocha after my morning workouts. I have been consistently losing weight.

The only thing required to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Eating before, during, or after a workout has not bearing on weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Actually you need to eat before and after a workout.
    Before: carbs give you energy to exercise.
    After:carbs and Proteins will be needed to "repair" the muscles (don't worry it is normal process our muscles go to get toned!) and carbs to refurnished your body sugard. and plus it helps for muscle soreness afterward.

It's not necessary to eat before a workout. I work out at 5 a.m. every week morning and eating that early nauseates me. However, I eat a balanced diet of three mails a day and snacks and my body is plenty fueled for me to workout in the morning. :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No. You're fine.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness not weight loss. So no it wasn't a waste
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    there's no law against eating after a workout... if you didn't go over your calorie goal for the day then you're fine, assuming your goal is weight loss.

Agreed and I think you need to eat after your work out because you need to put the energy back into your body. You will also be very very hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's what I did 10 years ago, working out made me hungry and I would blow my workout by eating too much after. So this time I started with the 'diet', then added exercise 2 weeks later once I got used to it... Much easier!

It's not a waste though, exercise is good for you, but yeah, if you go over your calories too much because of it, it won't help you lose weight.