Christmas Night Out Dress

Options
SunKissed1989
SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
So, I've got my work's Christmas night out on 30th November (early, I know...think it was chosen because we get paid the day before...also probs to miss the business in the run up to xmas), and am torn between some dresses I've seen online - here's the link to one of them - not sure between the red and the burgundy:

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/burgundy-necklace-trim-waffle-skater-dress_287670467?isRecent=true

and this is the other one

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/red-paisley-jacquard-sleeveless-skater-dress_293790068?isRecent=true

I've never really had a red dress and since the festive season is coming, I thought it was the perfect excuse to get one.

Opinions much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I think the burgundy would be classier.
    Red might be a bit much on the eyes. However, if the lighting is dim, you should go with the red, instead of burgundy.
  • rednailvarnish
    rednailvarnish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    burgundy - its also one you could dress down after you are fed up wearing it out (with tights and boots)
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think the red is more Christmasy - also younger looking.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like the paisley one. I don't know what your coloring is, but if it works with your skin and hair color it would be stunning.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I lurve skater dresses and red dresses - thanks for those, I think you just found my Christmas dress. :laugh:

In my opinion, I'd pick the burgundy, because it looks more like a party dress. The other is still gorgeous but I think it's more of a daytime thing, although you could certainly dress it up with some nice accessories.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love the burgundy one. I like the little neck detail!! Both are super cute though!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I think they're cute dresses. For work. Christmas is a time to push the envelope for elegance and glam. I don't understand the price of those dresses, they seem cheaply priced, so I wonder about the quality, but a quick glance tells me I'd be doing something more along the lines of this....

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/red-sequin-3-4-sleeve-bodycon-dress_287464560
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I say go with the red one! It's much more festive and young-looking.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    tough choice both are very pretty
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I like the burgundy one.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose id say the red, especially if red looks really good on you :) Id probably just accessorize it with some sparkly shoes and a lovely necklace and dangling earrings but that's my opinion. Hope this helps .
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    so far, I think the burgundy is winning...I'd need to try them on first so going to see if I can find them in the shop...if not, I'll just go for the burgundy.

I'm a blondie (recently just got copper highlights though) nd got quite a pale skin-tone.

Thanks for everyone's opinions...keep them coming to help inform my decision...maybe the skin-tone nd hair colour will help...:smile:
  • ThePlight
    Options
    I creeped your profile before replying lol.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i love the red one - would be cute with black tights and shoe boots...perhaps a waist belt. This dress would be great if you want to accessorize yourself.

The burgundy one is also lovely and classy, elegant and already detailed.

I would say red = funky and you can customize

Burgundy = classy/elegant

I'D GET BOTH AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL ON THE DAY!!!

haha x
  • ThePlight
    Options
    i love the red one - would be cute with black tights and shoe boots...perhaps a waist belt. This dress would be great if you want to accessorize yourself.

The burgundy one is also lovely and classy, elegant and already detailed.

I would say red = funky and you can customize

Burgundy = classy/elegant

I'D GET BOTH AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL ON THE DAY!!!

haha x

Hey, now there's an idea. She could also wear both!! :P
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ugh. thanks so much for posting those links.... now I've got about 27 dresses on my wishlist from that store. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, that burgundy dress is SO classy! Love it!
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    my vote is for the burgundy as well.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So I had never heard of a skater dress before. (I think maybe because I'm a little old for the length!) But I agree with some others that your proposed options are a bit work-like. Sticking with that website and skater dresses, I think I'd go with this one.

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/blue-lace-flocked-belted-skater-dress_299680340
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    so far, I think the burgundy is winning...I'd need to try them on first so going to see if I can find them in the shop...if not, I'll just go for the burgundy.

I'm a blondie (recently just got copper highlights though) nd got quite a pale skin-tone.

Thanks for everyone's opinions...keep them coming to help inform my decision...maybe the skin-tone nd hair colour will help...:smile:

Red looks awesome with super pale skin. Go with the red.
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    So I had never heard of a skater dress before. (I think maybe because I'm a little old for the length!) But I agree with some others that your proposed options are a bit work-like. Sticking with that website and skater dresses, I think I'd go with this one.

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/blue-lace-flocked-belted-skater-dress_299680340

ooh, curses you for making my decision harder - love this dress and the colour

skater dress is also known as a fit and flare dress (fits and the waist and then flares out) and suits my pear shape
    I'd be wearing the dress with black shoe boots (have a bow on the side of them) and a pair of black tights with a flowery pattern on them, but if I chose this blue dress, would just be plain black tights.
    These dresses were under the 'going out/party' section so wouldn't have thought of them as being too 'work-like' - I work in a shop where we wear uniform anyway (black trousers, shoes nd work blouse) so any chance to wear a dress is great for me - feel really feminine and the likes.