MFP should have a "Like" Button

Options
Does anyone else agree, I see so many posts where i dont want to comment, but i do want to hit Like haha

Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I think they need a "Like" button too! :smile:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If they did........I would "like" your comment!!!

:drinker:
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I agree too! It seems a little mundance to keep saying "WTG" or "awesome job!" over and over again unless it actually is something spectacular, and a like button would suffice for that.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    An alternative I saw recently on a finance site I follow is a "Thanks" button. The site then also tots up how many "Thanks" you have had so you get "soandso1 147 Posts, 48 Thanks" - gives you a clue if other users find a poster makes useful a contirbution....
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ^ that or Rep points or something.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Agreed, a like button would be great!!
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    No
  • MeGaga
    MeGaga Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yessss!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sometimes you don't want to comment, but would like to let the poster know you read and liked their post.

Another question: Is there a way to see all the posts by a specific poster? If I read something that resonates with me, I'd like to read what else that person has to say. Some boards have a way you can do this. Does MFP?
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A nice little comment is way more encouraging than clicking a "like" button. Tell you MFP friend how you really feel about there post(s), it takes seconds out of your day.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Another question: Is there a way to see all the posts by a specific poster? If I read something that resonates with me, I'd like to read what else that person has to say. Some boards have a way you can do this. Does MFP?

This depends on whether or not the person has their profile set to private. If they have a public profile, you can see the other posts they have made by viewing their profile. There is a "recent forums post" column that shows up under their "about me" and friends' list.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

This depends on whether or not the person has their profile set to private. If they have a public profile, you can see the other posts they have made by viewing their profile. There is a "recent forums post" column that shows up under their "about me" and friends' list.

I think too if you are friends with them you automatically see them..unless that can be diabled, I'm not sure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A friend and I sent in separate requests to MFP asking about this a long time ago, and we were told that they would consider it but the "like" button belongs to facebook. We understood. But a similar something would be great for lots of members. Sometimes I get sick of the like button on facebook cause it gives me the opportunity not be personal! and I don't even click the like button on things that I actually like because I'm feeling too lazy.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A nice little comment is way more encouraging than clicking a "like" button. Tell you MFP friend how you really feel about there post(s), it takes seconds out of your day.

I "like" this
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just comment the word "like" Are we that lazy of a people that we can't type in a few letters?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Just no. The like button = I'm too lazy to actually say anything meaningful, but I want to pretend that I'm actually interacting.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    like button, while in theory is a good idea and will work for typical forums or facebook, is not a great idea. 

When I finish a diary, I expect people to comment on what they thought about my intake. Too little, too much, too much fat, too little veggies, lack of water, no dinner etc. I want specifics. With the like button people will simple see a like on a diary and automatically assume its fine and click on like without ever checking it out. 
    Clicking the “like” button is basically saying “I’m too busy to actually be supportive so instead, I will give myself the illusion that I’m being supportive by clicking a button”. While we’re at it, we can make other buttons that’re vague too like “you’re awesome!” or “Tomorrow is another day” and so on.

On forums, like is the equivalent of saying "lol". You're just putting that there to show your existence without contributing anything. If you agree with post, you can bump it or say "agreed" which is the same as "bump" in the sense that it brings the post on top of the forum and helps to spread out the message that thread is bringing up. 

tl;dr: "like" button might be a suitable idea for many sites, but not for a support and knowledge base site like MFP. Using it is just being lazy and I would much rather have somebody not say anything than being “supportive” by clicking a button.