Min Cals for men?

Options
2»

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I bet you'd feel even better at 1800 calories a day and probably still lose 2.5-3 lbs a week at that level. Could fit in more nutrients that way as well.

Good luck!
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    I'm experimenting - I had two cheat days this week BC of special occasions so I'm thinking I should just do 1500 and utilize cheat days to keep my body from adjusting to low cals. But yeah the effects of the extra 300 cals are remarkable - I've improved my endurance much faster than when I ate 1200 and I feel good mentally
    Whenever I lose weight @ 1200 I get these anxiety attacks and depressed states that aren't fun and I used excessive running as the way to treat those effects. I think I'm finally getting out of the speed is everything mentality :)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hello .. I started at 5'7" and weighed over 200 lbs. Before I used to try to lose eating 1000-1200 and not eating back my exercise. I lost 25 got "weak" and gained it all back.

Now I am down 20 lbs by eating over 2000 per day. I eat back most of my exercise calories and I am constantly setting personal bests in cardiovascular activities.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The issue for me with is that 1200 is FAST - I've lost 14 lbs in 1.5 weeks using 1200 cal diet with no carbs plus walking. Sure a lot is water but 14 lbs is very noticeable. I started running and eating 1500 cals and I lost about 7 lbs since 10/15 .... Kinda slow after you've lost 25lbs in a month and a half before on 1200 cals plus running.

You'll get a few marathon vs. sprint quotes soon ...

I'm willing to bet that you've sacrificed muscle mass for weigh loss. Great job on the rapid 25 lbs. lost. Now try to slow things down a bit.
    Cardio will make you look good in your clothes, but weight lifting will make you look good neeked.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys - Im considering upping the cals. Right now without my shirt I look pretty good cuz my muscles are starting to show more from losing weight. Looks much better than when I lost it all from the 1200 and excessive running phase I was in last year. Im gonna consider lifting soon.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is definitely a good idea!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options

Thank you MFP:

ignore.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and oldish....pushing 40...I lost easily grossing 2100 - 2200 calories...my MFP goal was 1850 plus exercise and I lost a good 1 - 1.5 Lbs per week consistently throughout my weightloss.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    You will perform better with more carbs and weight lifting... Trust me... I play a doctor on TV and can run 2 miles in sub 14min at 190lbs 5'10, with a 265-275 Bench Press, 335 Squat, 365 Deadlift; which is NOT IMPRESSIVE... I ran a Marathon in June as well, and climbed Mailbox Peak 5 days after. Basically, it's about being a badass, not about dieting yourself into Mr. Twig and Ms. Pencil. What's your height and weight? If your 5'10 and below 200 I'll tell you to climb steep *kitten* mountains, go for journeys, destroy your legs through stairs, sprints, prowlers, hill sprints and marathons, and lift heavy, and eat like a man. Time to put some octane in that fuel son.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Lift NOW
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    As far as I could see, you haven't included your height or weight?

And unless you had to cut weight for a competition losing 14lbs in 2 weeks is probably not a good idea long term. (unless you are moridly obese and that is a small % of BW)