Calories burned while under anesthesia

Options
LiftAllThePizzas
LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
They wouldn't let me wear my fitbit during surgery, so I was wondering how many calories to log, because they have that thingy that squeezes your leg muscles while you're under. Plus someone told me that if you contract your muscles while they're putting you under, they stay contracted the whole time.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That explains my sore kegel muscle when getting surgery from that hot doc. I think I clenched when I went under when I saw him walk up and then it must have stayed like that the whole time. IDK why but "god complex" has always been a turn on to me rather than a turn off. Meh, i like the power.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I would think the burn would be minimal and no different than stretching when you sleep...if it were me I would log it on the sleep portion of my fitbit dashboard...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Too bad they won't let you wear it...you could finally get a good estimation of your BMR.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember that your body is under a lot of stress when you're having surgery. That contributes to an extra calorie burn too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    And then there's the blood loss. You should have weighed those little sponge thingies first and then weighed them after too see how much weight they had. But then again if they leave an instrument inside you that might cancel it out. Ooops, I got sidetracked now I'm talking about actual weight loss and not cal burn. My bad. No derail intended. So sorry, but still something to consider.
  • Laurali7
    Laurali7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I was having surgery and under anesthesia, I would be more worried about it going well and waking up after than calories burned.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Lolz.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Impossible to calculate unless you are wearing a HRM.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    take your estimated BMR and divide by 24...this should give you an estimated hourly burn.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    And then there's the blood loss. You should have weighed those little sponge thingies first and then weighed them after too see how much weight they had. But then again if they leave an instrument inside you that might cancel it out. Ooops, I got sidetracked now I'm talking about actual weight loss and not cal burn. My bad. No derail intended. So sorry, but still something to consider.

thanks for makin me spit all over my desk hahahahah
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    039c0f2aa8db4e858338936f9292929c.jpg
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If you dream while under, do you burn more calories?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I heard that the latest fitbit now at the R&D stage has a thermal core sensor and HRM and you can place it where the doc won't see it and sun don't shine. Perfect for BMR measurement and train-the-taint exercises.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Calories burned while under will be minimal at best. Don't worry about it. Especially because, you're going to need extra calories to heal anyway.
    Take a break
    Eat healthy, but don't stress over every single calorie. Eat if you're hungry and feel better :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Man, I never thought about logging any of the activity during my brain surgery.
  • starrycarina
    Options
    Personally, if I was having surgery and under anesthesia, I would be more worried about it going well and waking up after than calories burned.

My thoughts exactly. I mean it's interesting to consider but I don't think I'd really worry about it, personally. I'd be more concerned about if my surgery went well. LOL
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    That explains my sore kegel muscle when getting surgery from that hot doc. I think I clenched when I went under when I saw him walk up and then it must have stayed like that the whole time. IDK why but "god complex" has always been a turn on to me rather than a turn off. Meh, i like the power.
    Would that be considered cardio or strength training?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Would that be considered cardio or strength training?

probably a mix of both, what with the elevated HR and all...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Man, I never thought about logging any of the activity during my brain surgery.
    I'm glad I could help. We're all here for the same reason.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you dream while under, do you burn more calories?

only applies to wet dreams. dont know if thats every happened under anesthesia. haha