How to lose 2# per week SAFELY(for short period)

Options
I know that my Resting Met Rate is 1350 for the day (Tested at Lifetime Fitness). So, am wanting to lose 2# per week.
I work a day job at the computer. Minimal amount of up and around. I'm at home so can walk outside if necessary. Have treadmill as well. Am eating 1300 calls and been walking 3-5 miles burning 300-500 per day. Weight Train Circuit at home 2x per week and 1 short arms/legs day per week on weights. Utilizing 36% protein, 29% carbs and 35% fats.)

Anyone able to give me an approx. cal intake versus exercise output for losing 2# per week based on this info?
NOT gonna hold you to it - just wanting to see your input.

THANKS MFP people! Can't wait to see what you say!

Deb

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    From your ticker it looks like you don't have a whole lot to lose. Two pounds per week might be unrealistic and/or unsustainable. It would be so much easier on your body and your psyche to only shoot for losing one pound per week.

Very generally speaking, you would need to create a deficit of 1000 calories per day to lose two pounds per week.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Normally I could/would, but in your case and taking things at face value, 2lbs per week would put you at a calorie intake that's too low to recommend, even for shorter periods of time.

Even something fairly extreme like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss plan wouldn't results in 2lbs per week for you, and that's about the most extreme cut I know of.

700-1000 cals per day of very lean protein (so virtually no carbs or fat) for 5-10 days or so max. 3x week heavy lifting, no cardio. But based on rough estimates and generally accepted numbers, that's still not 2lbs per week for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Normally I could/would, but in your case and taking things at face value, 2lbs per week would put you at a calorie intake that's too low to recommend, even for shorter periods of time.

Even something fairly extreme like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss plan wouldn't results in 2lbs per week for you, and that's about the most extreme cut I know of.

700-1000 cals per day of very lean protein (so virtually no carbs or fat) for 5-10 days or so max. 3x week heavy lifting, no cardio. But based on rough estimates and generally accepted numbers, that's still not 2lbs per week for you.

this... Also, when you create large deficits, there is a higher chance of muscle loss. Muscle loss means body fat retention, so even if you do it for a short period of time, you could reach your goal and still be very unhappy with the results. Fat loss is what you want, and it's difficult to cut that much in a short period of time.

Is there is a reason you are trying to lose that much weight fast?
  • DebsReady2
    Options
    Thanks - you're right!