Im kind of scared.

Options
Im only 21. So I have my whole life to get all of this right.
But after Ive lost 52LBS, Ive started throwing out / donating / selling my "fat" clothes.
I started buying size small clothes and size 5 pants that I never in my life have fit into.

This is all AMAZING. But then, it makes me think - and I get scared.

I get scared that I will have to maintain my weight for the rest of my life, and being a previous emotional-eater, I am afraid of slipping back.

Clothes are so expensive and I am happy with how I look -- I am afraid of having to do this whole process over and afraid that somewhere in my life Ill gain it all back.

Can anyone kind of calm my nerves? Has anyone maintained for a long time successfully?

Replies

• melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm less than a lb away from my goal weigh (-50lbs) and I'm looking forward to buying new clothes. I literallly need a whole new wardrobe. I will be getting rid of SOME of my pants (the ones that literally fall off me), but not all of them because some of them are newer.

I am scared too of gaining it all back, but I am also DETERMINED to never go back. You just have to have faith!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think at 21 you probably will have some ups and downs. The important thing is that you learned how to eat healthy. So most likely your ups and downs will be minor.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First off congrats, you've done a fabulous job!!!

I originally lost 22lbs three years ago and went from a size 12P to a 4P in about 5 months. I wasn't actually trying to lose the weight but had a small bout of depression that led me to lose without trying. Losing the weight was about the only good thing to come out of that experience and I got rid of everything but the size 8P's and 6P's I had brought in between because they were so new, I figured I'd give them to a family member eventually. Slowly but surely I started to gain the weight back again and when I realized the 2 size 8P jeans were so tight I could barely breathe it forced me to get myself in gear. I'm glad I had gotten rid of the other clothing or I would have just kept going up until I was back where I had started. I know it's scary but once you've done it you know what it takes to do it again. This time I've made an actual effort to lose the weight and it's taking me longer but I am nearing my goal of fitting into my 4P's comfortably. I think keeping the clothes is a bit of a crutch so if I were you I'd just keep anything one size up, once you have to dig these items out of your closet you'll know it's time to get yourself back in gear.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

And yes SpaceyPlum, I think that would help me.. just knowing how poor I am and how expensive clothes are, not being able to fit into jeans would mean I would HAVE to be accountable.

But none the less, its still unnerving to have to battle this for the rest of your life, lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Doing anything for the rest of your life is pretty scary. Think about the next three years. If you get that far, you can look at the years after that. One step at a time.

Good luck and congratulations
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    you'll have to wear the same clothes regardless of if they are size 5 or 22!

people who weigh themselves daily avoid weight gains more because they are more aware.
    also understand your maintenence requirements for food and exercise. if these are doable, you should be fine with your maintenance plan (probably more fine with this than a weight loss plan).

any pattern deviation (more fast food because of new job, increased stress and cals) will make it more likely for a period of gains. so try to avoid stressors.
    HTH!
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    be confident, you can do it! the hard part is over, you lost the weight ( congrats) now all you have to do is maintain it. Don't allow unhealthy food into your home so when you want to snack all you have is good, healthy food to snack on, that is what i did and now i'm just used to eating healthy and don't really crave bad food. you can do this, i know you can!

also don't think about doing it for the rest of your life, take it week by week, its less scary. :)