Is there anyone else out there difficult to motivate?

Options
Anyone else out there like me? I'm not motivated easily. The pep talks, suck it up buttercup speeches, goals, challenges, stories, hanging up clothes or pictures....none of that does a thing for me. If the activity is fun, I'll do it for the sale of doing it and its a plus if it has a fitness component.

So...anyone else like me and just aren't spurred by speeches and competitions and all that?

Replies

• Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not affected much by pep talks and posters really. The one thing that does motivate me is thinking what I'll look like when I'm at my GW, and thinking about the wowed expressions I'll get from people.
  • nurseison
    nurseison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can be the same way. The thing that motivated me was the diagnosis of non-alcoholic liver disease. So, it took an actual disease to motivate me.
    However, in the past I have had to mentally prepare myself. The challenge of how many steps in a day motivates me. It's fun to see where I fall in the list of friends with the number of steps I have walked.
    The food is hard for me. Once in a while I have a "cheat" meal. I don't do cheat days, just a meal. I LOVE Chinese food. So, once every few weeks I will have Chinese for lunch or dinner. You still have to live.
    The other motivating thing for me has been the way I feel. I'm not out of breath going up the stairs or walking from the parking lot into work. Also, the way my clothes are fitting. They are starting to be just a hair big. What a great feeling!
    But, it is hard to get started. I think the whole healthy thing is a yo yo. We each have to find what motivates us and it's something different for everyone.
    Hang in! We're here for ya!
  • StrongManders
    Options
    @VelveteenArab

I will agree with your statement, but not entirely. To clarify, I don't wholly agree because your statement doesn't delineate between motivation and inspiration.

It may help you better understand the confounding factors involved with becoming "spurred" if you yourself find clarity in what it means to be motivated versus becoming inspired.

Semantics aside, I would say that genuine motivation must come from within yourself. In other words, intrinsic motivation.

Find meaning and momentum through the sheer joy and happiness that an activity will bring you.

If you care to analyze the terminology as I mentioned, check out Steve Kamb's site. Link is below:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/10/10/the-difference-between-inspiration-and-motivation/
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    @StrongManders

Thanks for the link. I do see the difference in the wording and will try to elaborate based off my understanding.

I'm not inspired by pep talks, tough love type talks, stories of other people's success or any of the normal things that people use as motivation. Someone else's success does not inspire or drive me to my own. I'll give them their kudos but it does nothing for *me*. Someone my age looks better than me or can perform better? Okay...good for her. I think I just outright lack the competitive urge that drives a lot of people to meet or exceed what others do.

A google search on motivation vs inspiration led me here: http://paidtoexist.com/inspiration-vs-motivation/ and here http://www.inspiring-self-improvement.com/wayne-dyer.html

And there I am on the other edge of the problem. I don't feel that 'fired up' feeling to achieve. I do what I can with stuff but I won't push too hard.

So there we are....I have no urge to try to meet or exceed someone's success and my internal drive is more on a cruise control than it is a chest-pounding rush to succeed.
  • StrongManders
    Options
    @VelveteenArab

From what I can infer, it seems you don't find training to be exciting in and of itself.

From here, it may not necessarily be motivation or inspiration which is the issue (assuming it's an issue at all for you). It could very well be your program.

Maybe you should reflect on what it is you are doing. Your exercise/training regimen.

For example, say I desired an improved VO2 Max. And my program had me in the water, swimming 3days/week. However, as it turns out, I abhor swimming. Instead of looking at myself and thinking, "boy, sure is inconvenient that there are no external driving forces to push me into an awesome work ethic for this swimming." It would be more conducive to instead think: "Wow, I hate swimming, time to try running!"

I know the example may seem trite, but really all I mean to say is this:

Find what is you like to do because, as it turns out, there is a plethora of different ways to ultimately achieve the same end goal.

So why wouldn't someone opt for the path of least resistance?
  • hthompso
    hthompso Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ VelveteenArab

Finding the motivation to eat better and exercise, yes that is difficult. At first I used to think that fear would do it but no, that didn't work. Now I think it is wanting something of value to you. Whatever that may be. To be stronger, have endurance, wear smaller clothes, to complete a marathon, etc.

With that said, what is it that you want, that you are willing to move mountains to get? That is what I am looking for to keep me committed to myself.

Defining our goals specifically might help with motivating ourselves to reach it. You guys have got me thinking! :wink:
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I find it very interesting that you write this - it's SOOO common out there to find people that just can't get motivated, no matter what!

I think the first question you need to ask is what do you want? Do you want to be fitter, lose weight, happier, sleep better, less bored etc or are you pretty happy with what you have and where you are?

If you really decide that you want to change, then what do you want to change? Your fitness? If so - why? Do you want to run an event for example or just be able to get up the stairs and not be breathless. Or is it more that there are health issues in your family and you don't want to be a statistic of them.

Once you work out what you want and why you want it then you need to work out what to do about it. You might find that a gym membership is the last thing you want, but you're really happy rockclimbing outdoors.

Or maybe you're pretty happy where you are, and there's no need to be motivated. That's great and what most people out there are looking for!
  • victoriajetters
    Options
    i dont know how to keep motivated :( ive been doing this since july and ive lost almost 60 lbs and im getting tired of the low carb thing its working but very heard to stick too any ideas on how to kick this freakn sweet tooth of mine???? plz help i dont want to go back to where i was :((((... oh btw i still have 40 lbs to go any ideas will be welcome :):sad: :smile: :sad:
  • MissBellatrix
    Options
    Same here...
  • myturningpoint
    Options
    Lately nothing seems to motivate me for more than 3/4 of a day. I seem to end up caving into more than a normal portion of some sugary or fatty treat. Like tonight I should have just gone to bed rather than order Domino's..