For those on phentermine - trouble eating all your calories?

Options
A question for anyone who is on Phentermine, or was on it at one point - did you have issues eating all your calories? Especially if you've exercised and need to get your net calories above the 1200 point? I have an issue doing this period, without Phentermine, and I'm afraid that I will find it almost impossible to do this without eating unhealthy.

I try to eat small snacks throughout the day, to help get my calories in, and it works most of the time, except the days where I work all three jobs and my exercise calories are through the roof [I train horses, and on the days I work all three jobs I feed and clean up after 13 horses, and ride five horses, usually about 30-40 minutes each, and that is a LOT of calories I'm burning] I have a lot of trouble getting my net calories above 1200. Like today I am going on a conditioning ride [about 13-14 miles, at a trot] and I know my calories burnt are going to be high, especially because I need to come back and clean horse pens, and then clean house.

I've eaten 1/2 of an omellete for breakfast that I had last night for dinner from IHOP, but now I'm not hungry and that was only like 150 calories.

I'm really struggling to eat my calories, and they aren't even that much! I really need help.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do you really need to be on phentermine? You don't have that much to lose, you should be able to do with a healthy diet and the exercise that you do.
  • mindy71183
    Options
    Do you really need to be on phentermine? You don't have that much to lose, you should be able to do with a healthy diet and the exercise that you do.

I agree! There are tons of people on here who have a lot more weight to lose and don't use diet pills. My best friend lost over 80 lbs on phentermine and as soon as she went off of it she gained twenty back. I don't know about you, but I would rather do things the right way even if the results aren't as quick.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I agree! There are tons of people on here who have a lot more weight to lose and don't use diet pills. My best friend lost over 80 lbs on phentermine and as soon as she went off of it she gained twenty back. I don't know about you, but I would rather do things the right way even if the results aren't as quick.

Plus, phentermine has all kinds of negative side effects. Slower weight loss is better for your body anyway, it gives your skin a chance to shrink back and gives your mind time to adjust to your body as it changes.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ok she Did NOT post this to be knocked on her CHOICE to use phentermine! Goodness people!

I'll be the first to admit I have used it, not once, not twice, but 3 times! The first time I lost 50 lbs in 4 months, and it took me nearly 2 years and a pregnancy to put it back on. I used it for 3 months post pregnancy and lost only 15 lbs because when I ate I ate horrible foods. And this last time I lost 43 lbs in 90 days, and part of the reason I didnt loose more was because I got 3 severe sinus infections that caused my throat to get so chapped it started bleeding and I could only eat yogurt & ice cream.

So from Personal experience. Yes, both my first time and this last time I had a hard time eating all my calories while on it. Since my Dr was also a family member (and I was living with him forthe first round) I was encouraged to drink lots of milk, eat a multi vitamin, and use whole fruit popsicles and protein shakes to help with my calorie intake and keeping my blood sugar stable. Have a sweet tooth? Try a half cup of orange juice, a cup of frozen mixed berries, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a 6oz yoplait yogurt (I use strawberry or mixed berry) and ofcourse a few icecubes but I usually only end up adding 8-10 since the berries are frozen its about a 560 calorie smoothie that tastes like you are eating mixed berry icecream. So its a great bed-time dessert (even though I like this as my breakfast!)
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok she Did NOT post this to be knocked on her CHOICE to use phentermine! Goodness people!

I'll be the first to admit I have used it, not once, not twice, but 3 times! The first time I lost 50 lbs in 4 months, and it took me nearly 2 years and a pregnancy to put it back on. I used it for 3 months post pregnancy and lost only 15 lbs because when I ate I ate horrible foods. And this last time I lost 43 lbs in 90 days, and part of the reason I didnt loose more was because I got 3 severe sinus infections that caused my throat to get so chapped it started bleeding and I could only eat yogurt & ice cream.

So from Personal experience. Yes, both my first time and this last time I had a hard time eating all my calories while on it. Since my Dr was also a family member (and I was living with him forthe first round) I was encouraged to drink lots of milk, eat a multi vitamin, and use whole fruit popsicles and protein shakes to help with my calorie intake and keeping my blood sugar stable. Have a sweet tooth? Try a half cup of orange juice, a cup of frozen mixed berries, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a 6oz yoplait yogurt (I use strawberry or mixed berry) and ofcourse a few icecubes but I usually only end up adding 8-10 since the berries are frozen its about a 560 calorie smoothie that tastes like you are eating mixed berry icecream. So its a great bed-time dessert (even though I like this as my breakfast!)

Thank you! I know the pros and cons of the drug, I was just asking for advice for those struggling to eat their calories. Thank you SO much for your post!

Do you recommend whey protein? I used to drink protein shakes when running, but I stopped when i quit running. I'm thinking it'd be good to start up again, since I'm wanting to tone and I'm really starting to get back into riding seriously for endurance. I don't want my body deciding it is going to not build muscle, and hold onto all the fat it can.

I try to eat peanut butter on toast for breakfast, but I think I might start eating PB&J's again after riding or the gym, try to bump the calories a bit. :)

Thank you!
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I thought phentermine was for people who are 100 + over weight? :huh:

I wouldn't suggest it as it can cause serious heart conditions....and the long term effect on weight loss is not successful. I know this because I lost 100 pounds on it once before and gained it all back.... :embarassed:

Good luck!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    I love whey protein. Its the easiest one on my tummy as well as a very complete protein. And they have so many more options out there anymore that taste amazing, even 5 years ago (first bout with the drug) didnt exist! Orr atleast werent affordable

PB&J are great too :) I love them but since Im off the phentermine I watch it closely because I could eat 2 :)

You really do Have to learn good eating habits while on the phentermine to maintain it once you stop. Hopefully your Dr will wean you down instead of stopping it all together.

Also, for those that dont know Phentermine is FDA aprooved, and Dr monitored, hence why its not available OTC and you can only get so much at a time. They also have two different dosages available, which has only started in the last 9 months. So no it is not a 100+to-loose drug any more.

Since it IS PHYSICIAN MONITORED I would highly advise that everyone stop their preaching, since a GOOD Dr is going to advise you of this anyway. Atleast she is PHYSICIAN MONITORED instead of all of those out there buying drugs that arents FDA aprooved OTC
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    And muscle toning is a great thing to do while on phentermine since muscle helps burn fat. Then you also know less of your weight loss is water weight and more of it is what you actually want to loose :)

Part of why your post is special to me, is because I have seen people loose well over the 100lb mark on it only to regain because they ate Crap foods to meet their calorie goals but were just happy the weight was gone. SO that is Why they regained so efficiently :)

Not to be rude to all you non-believers, but I would rather have a drug HELP my weight loss and learn good habits while on it then get frustrated to the point I give up :)
  • lanfred01
    lanfred01 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was wondering the same thing. But I've noticed some days (really active/great workout days) the medication doesn't seem to work as much and I'm am just hungry! I'm still counting calories but any suggestions on why that is? (I assume increase in being active?). First time I lost 50 pounds in 4 months; this time, it's averaging out to 10 pounds every 6 weeks.

And boo on folk that be judging. Dang, we are well aware of the pro's and con's.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Christ you people are ridiculous!!! What is with all the phentermine hate? I get so sick of hearing everyone state that they gained all of their weight back and yadda yadda. It's not a magic pill people! It does NOTHING for weight loss it strictly controls your appetite. You gained your weight back because you stuffed your face after going off of it.

Oh and by the way I do take Phentermine if you didn't guess
  • duval73
    Options
    I just start taking Phentermine today and one thing I have notice I was not hungry at all today, I had to make myself eat dinner and when I did eat, It was only a hand full of salad and one chicken strip and I felt like I had eating at a all you can eat buffet. Phentermine do have you really thirsty, I already drink at least 4 to 5 16.9 water bottles a day it had me adding 3 more bottles. I track my calories intake on here it's set for 2730 and I never met my goal and always under and left with between 649 - 1500. So I wonder am I eating enough, I only eat three times a day and no snacking at all. I feel so full on this medication.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A question for anyone who is on Phentermine, or was on it at one point - did you have issues eating all your calories? Especially if you've exercised and need to get your net calories above the 1200 point? I have an issue doing this period, without Phentermine, and I'm afraid that I will find it almost impossible to do this without eating unhealthy.

I try to eat small snacks throughout the day, to help get my calories in, and it works most of the time, except the days where I work all three jobs and my exercise calories are through the roof [I train horses, and on the days I work all three jobs I feed and clean up after 13 horses, and ride five horses, usually about 30-40 minutes each, and that is a LOT of calories I'm burning] I have a lot of trouble getting my net calories above 1200. Like today I am going on a conditioning ride [about 13-14 miles, at a trot] and I know my calories burnt are going to be high, especially because I need to come back and clean horse pens, and then clean house.

I've eaten 1/2 of an omellete for breakfast that I had last night for dinner from IHOP, but now I'm not hungry and that was only like 150 calories.

I'm really struggling to eat my calories, and they aren't even that much! I really need help.

i need phentermine! My appetite is OUT OF CONTROL!!!
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm kind of confused here. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant. A suppressed appetite isn't an unwanted side effect...it's the only reason you're taking the med to begin with. If you're so worried about not being able to choke down enough calories it seems like the obvious answer would be to get off Phentermine? Either that or just consciously make yourself eat how ever many calories you feel you need even if you're not hungry.

ETA WOW didn't realize how old this thread is