Spin Class - How often?

Options
I took my first spin class Tuesday night. My legs were like rubber at the end. The next day they were still a little rubbery & then the soreness started. Today is Thursday & my legs are still hurting. Here's my question, do I go back tonight or wait & go Tuesday to give my legs time to heal? How often should you go? Thanks!

Replies

• benzahornet
    benzahornet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started spinning last January. First day was absolutely worst, in fact I quite after 30 minutes (in tears) and called myself a "spinning flunky". My instructor was very supportive and I vowed I would give it at least 3 weeks of 2 times a week before calling it quits. They promised me the weak rubbery legs and the horrible pain in my bottom side would subside. Almost a year later I am still spinning 3 times a week and loving to hate it!! While it is still a very difficult class (the hate part) I love the way I feel and really enjoy the classes. Don't give up. I would start 2 times a week, any less than that and you have to go through all the muscle soreness each time!!
  • melinda189
    Options
    that was good info to know. i just took my first spin class Monday & i understand your pain. My legs were so wobbly after class. My but didn't start hurting til tuesday but by Wednesday i was fine. I'm waiting until Saturday to do another one. i did like& hate it at the same time :happy: :mad:
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to spin a lot before (daily when I was unemployed) and fell off the wagon when I got a desk job 9-5. Starting up again and my butt and thighs hurt again but it gets better. The pain should go away in a couple of days, but if it doesn't and you aren't ready to go back yet, do some other cardio involving your legs. I suggest you get a padded seat cover from Walmart or Target. It makes a hell of a difference. Also, pace yourself. Its not a competition.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I go 4 nights a week! once your body gets used to using these different muscles you'll be fine. Don't forget to stretch, cross-train and hydrate after!
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I go to Spin class twice a week. I go on Tuesdays and Thursdays actually. Your legs will eventually get used to it.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I used to take spin class 3-4 times a week. Even though you are sore from Tuesday's class I would go to class today if you still have full range of motion. (If you are limping then skip class.) Your muscles will recover faster with some light aerobic activity. Just don't push yourself 100% in tonight's class.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I go twice a week Tuesdays & Thursdays

Take some Aleve if you are very sore skip tonight and go next week, if you are just a little sore suck it up and go you will be proud you went.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters especially about the part about going tonight and riding through the muscle soreness-it actually will help them feel better! I spin 3-4 times a week and don't get the soreness anymore but the instructors tell new riders that the 4th class is typically the "magic" number where you get it and it doesn't kill you. It still kills me from a cardio standpoint though and definitely works my legs which is why I absolutely love it!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I would also go back to class tonight. This may be just crazy but I have noticed that after a work out that has left me absolutely sore the second day is the hardest but if I go anyways and give a moderate effort it helps ease the pain. It feels like it stretches those tight muscles back out and I am not so sore anymore. Maybe I am just mental but it works for me.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Agree with the other posters especially about the part about going tonight and riding through the muscle soreness-it actually will help them feel better! I spin 3-4 times a week and don't get the soreness anymore but the instructors tell new riders that the 4th class is typically the "magic" number where you get it and it doesn't kill you. It still kills me from a cardio standpoint though and definitely works my legs which is why I absolutely love it!

Ok. She said it helps too so maybe I am NOT mental.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would go back as soon as possible. Your legs will feel better after your next class. I am an avid cyclist and spin all the time in the winter. As for your bottom- get the best pair of cycling shorts you can afford! The soreness in the legs is enough- good shorts will eliemnate all butt pain!
  • RunnerCyclingGirl213
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The info is very helpful.
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how long are people's spinning classes? I love spinning but the classes at my gym are always an hour long, which I can find a little bit excessive when I'm lifting too. I've started just using the bikes when the classes aren't on and making up my own 30 minute spinning routine when no one else is there! Which is great but I do like to be pushed by my instructor (who will get off her bike and turn your resistance up is she thinks you're not pushing yourself hard enough!)
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    just got a spin bike. Keeping an eye on this for info :)